Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all hope u r staying safe. So I'm having an issue with my key and gas cap. The past few times while I was taking off my gas cap I had a very hard time. I had to giggle the key for 5 minutes and finally got the cap off. I'm assuming it's the cylinder in the gas cap cause I never had issues with the key in the ignition. Today after fighting with the gas cap for 5 minutes I had a hard time turning the key in the ignition cylinder. Its the only key I have. I'm scared maybe my key is stripped now or even my ignition cylinder is damaged. Should I simply make a copy of the key and try it in both gas cap and ignition cylinder? Any idea of the cost if I have to change either cylinder? Not sure where I should start. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know what's wrong...but here's my opinion on it.

I'm really strategic when I'm trying to find causes for troubles like what you're experiencing. This may sound crazy...but I'd say to try the key both ways in both cylinders. See if there seems to be a sweet-spot of sorts for either one.

I've seen complete bundles on ebay...taken from wrecked or parted out bikes. They include keys, gas cap, ignition, and passenger comparment lock. So, if there is definitely something going on with your key and/or lock...you'll have some options to replace everything besides going all new from the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your feedback! I have a feeling the gas cap cylinder screwed up my key. Now I have to find the "sweet-spot" in the ignition when trying to start it. With regards to the gas cap its a hit or miss when trying to get it open. Not sure how to figure out what cylinder is messed up or if its my key lol

·
Registered
553 Posts
These keys are made of soft material and easy to bend, so i would make sure it is straight. Sounds like you have an early model where the gas cap comes off. I have one like that and I have bent the key a couple of times when the cap with the key in it fell to the ground and bent the key. It then doesn't work well until straightened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. Yes its a 2015 cbr500. I'll make a copy of the key and c of that works

1 - 5 of 5 Posts