Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really confused here. I took the battery out to charge it and when i went to reinstall it, I noticed the positive wire matches up with the negative terminal. I'm 100% certain the battery was in this orientation as its the only way it fits to where the wire reaches. Can anyone explain why the negative and positive are backwards??

Secondly, I used to have a Scorpio alarm that I personally installed. I removed it and now I can't remember if the thing I'm holding in my hand is part of the alarm or just OEM wiring on the bike.

Help please, I'm so incredibly frustrated right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm really confused here. I took the battery out to charge it and when i went to reinstall it, I noticed the positive wire matches up with the negative terminal. I'm 100% certain the battery was in this orientation as its the only way it fits to where the wire reaches. Can anyone explain why the negative and positive are backwards??

Secondly, I used to have a Scorpio alarm that I personally installed. I removed it and now I can't remember if the thing I'm holding in my hand is part of the alarm or just OEM wiring on the bike.

Help please, I'm so incredibly frustrated right now.
If I'm seeing the battery cables properly, it looks like there's plenty of length for you to turn the battery around. This would properly align the terminals, and the cables would reach with no problem. I suspect that's the way the battery came out. If not, you have a different battery in the photo than came out. :nerd:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm seeing the battery cables properly, it looks like there's plenty of length for you to turn the battery around. This would properly align the terminals, and the cables would reach with no problem. I suspect that's the way the battery came out. If not, you have a different battery in the photo than came out. :nerd:
The negative cable is actually very short, just barely long enough to reach the terminal. So flipping the battery around would not allow the cable to reach. Besides that, i'm positive the battery was in the same orientation shown when i took it out. It's the only battery I own, so definitely the same battery that came out. Any other ideas? BTW, this is the 2015 model (CBR500R) just for reference sake. If there's anyone who can compare their own bike and tell me how theirs is I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I just figured it out. I must have been really tired last night. The battery has two options on orientation in the terminals, so when I flipped it over neg and pos align properly now. I guess i just needed a good night's rest. Silly me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ok I just figured it out. I must have been really tired last night. The battery has two options on orientation in the terminals, so when I flipped it over neg and pos align properly now. I guess i just needed a good night's rest. Silly me.
Glad you got things taken care of. If it makes you feel any less "silly", I can tell you Exactly where the "Main 30amp Fuse" is on at least 2 of my previous bikes. :wink:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I made the same mistake when I changed batteries on my 2015 F. The new battery comes out of the box with an apparent "up" direction, and when you install it "upright" the terminals are reversed. After a trip back to the shop to ensure that I had the right replacement battery, I realized that you have to lay the battery on its side so the terminals are aligned. As Spock would observe, "2-dimensional thinking."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts