Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am looking for my first bike, I just took the safety course and have only ridden bicycles and a 50cc moped prior to the course. I prefer the standard stance over the rebels that I learned on and have sat on both the CBR500 and MT-03 and was able to sit comfortably on both however the 500 was a bit more intimidating. Knowing me I could be a bit complacent with a smaller bike and get a little reckless, I did lay-down on the rebel on the second day but still finished the course. I think that wiping out took a little of my confidence away, which is making me want to start off smaller.

I would be using this is a commuter bike and not take it regularly on the freeway, but would like the option of going on road trips down the line. I'm thinking I would eventually level up to the 500, but just want to make the best choice for my first bike. Open to any and all suggestions!

Info: 5'6", 140lbs, female.

·
Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
57 Posts
Hi Alaskandandelion! My suggestion would be test ride both or at least sit on both and see if you are comfortable with riding position. BTW - when you speak about MT-03 you are talking about newer bike? There was an older MT-03 with 660cc thumper engine - would be another great option (if you like thumpers).

Should I choose between modern MT03 and CBR500 would prefer MT03, tested a CBR500 weeks ago and found its riding position unnecesary sporty. Or even better - old MT03 with a 660cc engine or CB500F.

Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Alaskandandelion! My suggestion would be test ride both or at least sit on both and see if you are comfortable with riding position. BTW - when you speak about MT-03 you are talking about newer bike? There was an older MT-03 with 660cc thumper engine - would be another great option (if you like thumpers).

Should I choose between modern MT03 and CBR500 would prefer MT03, tested a CBR500 weeks ago and found its riding position unnecesary sporty. Or even better - old MT03 with a 660cc engine or CB500F.

Regards

Regards
Thank you for the info! I agree that I need to test ride. I think that will sort this all out for me. The more I read about the CB line the more it seems like the better option. I think I am leaning towards getting the CB500F.

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,245 Posts
The 500 will be a much more satisfying ride overall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I agree with Blackfin, I had a CB300F and now a CBR500RA. The 500 is a better choice since its power will give you a smoother ride than a 300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I am also 5’5” and completed the MSF course, got my license last spring, and bought a 2013 CB500F as my first bike. I was a little intimidated at first after riding the course on such a little bike, but my confidence has risen with time and practice and I’m so glad I got this bike! I also dropped it stupidly at a stop and that was a little heads up, but don’t worry it happens to everyone. I got a used one for that reason, but made sure to get one with ABS. Good luck in your choice!
-Kate

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for the info! I agree that I need to test ride. I think that will sort this all out for me. The more I read about the CB line the more it seems like the better option. I think I am leaning towards getting the CB500F.
The CB300 would be a great commuter, but if you want to get out of town, you would soon be wishing it was more powerful. If you can sit on the 500f with both feet on the ground, you will soon love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts