Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I present to the group one Seriously Naked 381 lbs 2017 CB500F. It's only goal is to keep its new 70-year old owner happy riding the twisty back roads of PA. I started riding dirt when I was 14 and spent many years riding Motocross, Flat Track, Enduros, etc. So for my 1st street bike, I bought the 500 for its lightweight and moderate power and the fun began. Day one it went on a strict diet and the parts went flying!

After many mods and upgraded parts, I can say the 4 must-dos to these bikes are
  • Better tires, I chose the Metzler M9's for their dual-compound construction.
  • Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines with EBC pads.
  • GSXR 600 fully adjustable rear shock, got a new one from eBay for $40.
  • RaceTech .80 straight fork springs replacing the .65 progressive stock springs.
After losing 30 pounds, adding stickier tires, upgraded brakes, and a dialed-in suspension this bike feels nothing like the bike I started with. It corners so much more precise and confident inspiring, brakes cut stopping distance and with a much better feel. Going from a pretty crappy suspension to just a mild upgrade made this bike behave so much better in every aspect of the ride, braking, cornering, and comfort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice looking bike, very different! Hope I'm, still riding at 70. Looks like you are not afraid to lean it in the corners based on the rear tire chicken strips. How hard was it to install the rear shock, did you have to cut anything to make room for the reservoir?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Great looking bike. Suspension makes such a large difference on this bike. Had a similar setup on my ‘13 F, (Traxxion Dynamics fork kit and GSXR-750 rear shock), and it was the best mod I made on that bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking bike, very different! Hope I'm, still riding at 70. Looks like you are not afraid to lean it in the corners based on the rear tire chicken strips. How hard was it to install the rear shock, did you have to cut anything to make room for the reservoir?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I had to cut a few inches of plastic to get it to fit. There is a good YouTube video on the install.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I present to the group one Seriously Naked 381 lbs 2017 CB500F. It's only goal is to keep its new 70-year old owner happy riding the twisty back roads of PA. I started riding dirt when I was 14 and spent many years riding Motocross, Flat Track, Enduros, etc. So for my 1st street bike, I bought the 500 for its lightweight and moderate power and the fun began. Day one it went on a strict diet and the parts went flying!

• RaceTech .80 straight fork springs replacing the .65 progressive stock springs.
After losing 30 pounds, adding stickier tires, upgraded brakes, and a dialed-in suspension this bike feels nothing like the bike I started with. It corners so much more precise and confident inspiring, brakes cut stopping distance and with a much better feel. Going from a pretty crappy suspension to just a mild upgrade made this bike behave so much better in every aspect of the ride, braking, cornering, and comfort. View attachment 72689 View attachment 72690 View attachment 72691 View attachment 72692 View attachment 72693 View attachment 72694 View attachment 72695 View attachment 72696 View attachment 72697

After losing 30 pounds, adding stickier tires, upgraded brakes, and a dialed-in suspension this bike feels nothing like the bike I started with. It corners so much more precise and confident inspiring, brakes cut stopping distance and with a much better feel. Going from a pretty crappy suspension to just a mild upgrade made this bike behave so much better in every aspect of the ride, braking, cornering, and comfort. View attachment 72689 View attachment 72690 View attachment 72691 View attachment 72692 View attachment 72693 View attachment 72694 View attachment 72695 View attachment 72696 View attachment 72697
Looking good old man....recently bought my first "street" bike.....a 2014 CBR 500R.....My kids thought
I was crazy to get a bike at my age(77),but it is sure good therapy for me in these crazy times!

·
Super Moderator
1,257 Posts
@toslo50 the naked look has grown on me too, bike looks good, I see we took a couple similar approaches with our modifications ;)
I concur the best mod was the suspension upgrade too, if only Honda took a page out of the modder's handbook they would be serious competition!
My version of the super naked, stripped down from an R : CBR500R Streetfighter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking good old man....recently bought my first "street" bike.....a 2014 CBR 500R.....My kids thought
I was crazy to get a bike at my age(77),but it is sure good therapy for me in these crazy times!
I hear you, I'm definitely in a great state of mind when riding and in the zone. I love learning new riding skills and techniques. I highly recommend you read the book by Lee Parks, Total Control High-Performance Street Techniques, and take an intermediate riding course. Practice Practice Practice! It's fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts