Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Fair enough. I guess I should start changing the oil in Fall too.

Reactions: ADIOS600

Registered
Fair enough. I guess I should start changing the oil in Fall too.
Hey BB we have exactly the same bike except mine's the RA! Mine sits out the central BC winter, minimum 5 months a year, in an unheated barn. If I'm lucky I get to put on 2,000 to 3,000km rest of the time. My brother is a HD mechanic/instructor from AB and on his advice, the Fall shutdown is: (1) get oil and filter changed in town, very best I can afford -- used to be AMSoil but now it's just the best synthetic I can get in a non-Honda dealership town (2) stuff tank with Chevron red handle gas -- 94 supreme plus, I think it's called (3) at home, top up gas tank with dose of stabilizer/fuel treat from dealership and a few extra Tbsp of red handle from this summer's jerry can (4) wash and dry bike (5) remove battery to put it in nice warm basement, trickle charge 30th of every month (6) stuff battery cavity with dryer sheets and bubble wrap because barn so mice, not kidding, eeeew (7) rock bike onto back stand and wrap it in a fitted sheet set and....Zzzzzz. So far, starts up sweet every Spring and runs all summer on the one oil change, despite living on a gravel road. Hope that's helpful :cool:

Registered
Yes, my bike has always fired up nicely too. This last Spring I think I had to charge the battery for the first time ever. But this year I'm just going to get the trickle charger on it in the garage all year I guess (hopefully the Battery Tender Jr. is safe for that?). I'd likely forget about it if I planned to do scheduled charges instead.

My winter routine is pretty basic. Fill the gas tank as full as possible, add some stabilizer (if that), and park it in shelter somewhere (unheated). I normally would just change the oil/filter, check that everything works and looks good and review necessary maintenance, and be ready to ride come Spring. The only difference is I did go buy some GN4 and a new filter/crush washer today. So I'll change the oil in the next few days, and then it'll sit with fresh oil that I throw away come Spring... It was only CAD$52 so I guess negligible.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts