Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it started out with a new bike, first service at 600miles, then I decided to change the oil at 3,300 miles in the November to get any filings out that may be floating about and having new oil for the winter lay up. Comes to March for the first yearly service I had got 3,800 and another oil change by the dealer. Now I am at 5,800 and 6 months later the bright red oil has turned slightly dark so I am going to change it again. It's almost become an obsession, partly to do with the red oil I use changing colour which I know is quite normal, and not wanting too used an oil in the sump over winter. Does anyone else change oil every 6 months. I know I will get some flack over this but I feel satisfied after I have changed the oil. £10 for the genuine filter and £7.50 per litre for the oil. I will do it while I can afford it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well it started out with a new bike, first service at 600miles, then I decided to change the oil at 3,300 miles in the November to get any filings out that may be floating about and having new oil for the winter lay up. Comes to March for the first yearly service I had got 3,800 and another oil change by the dealer. Now I am at 5,800 and 6 months later the bright red oil has turned slightly dark so I am going to change it again. It's almost become an obsession, partly to do with the red oil I use changing colour which I know is quite normal, and not wanting too used an oil in the sump over winter. Does anyone else change oil every 6 months. I know I will get some flack over this but I feel satisfied after I have changed the oil. £10 for the genuine filter and £7.50 per litre for the oil. I will do it while I can afford it.
By red oil I presume motul 7100? I used that but got too expensive. Now use liqui moly. I'm that guy with 106000km on my CBR500 and have been changing the oil and filter every 6000km since day 1. Thats approx 17x oil changes to date. I do a lot of wide open throttle highway riding. When imagining oil in the engine its like a human heart with blood. Definitely don't want dirty oil in an engine..

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use castrol, but I think that Motul is a good oil, my dealer uses Motul. I supply my own oil to the dealer. Nice to hear you change your oil regularly.👍 At that mileage it's a credit to you

·
Registered
641 Posts
Best oil is Shell Rotella T6 - synthetic Diesel/motorcycle version of Pennziol Platinum. I also add Lucas Syn. oil stabilizer at a 10% ratio. After 5,000 miles each oil change, oil looks as good as when I put it in.

Reactions: ADIOS600

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am a little obsessive regarding oil changes also but that is due to the way I ride. I don’t commute so purely ride for pleasure and tend to flog it when I am on it because of that. On my 500 I changed the oil every 2500-3000 miles using Rotella T6. Will be doing the same in the GSXS. Might be overkill but surely doesn’t hurt anything.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh no not again!!!!
Change oil when you want to.
Use what ever oil you want to.
Use what ever filter you want to.
Why do you need everyone's stupid opinion about what you think is OK?
If you want to change every 1000 km - go ahead.
Some might think it obsessive, but its YOUR bike and YOUR money!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well at least it got you talking, that's what this forum is about. And everyone's opinion counts including yours. It's nice that the guys and gals appreciate this bike as much as I do. 👍

·
Registered
641 Posts
Oh no not again!!!!
Change oil when you want to.
Use what ever oil you want to.
Use what ever filter you want to.
Why do you need everyone's stupid opinion about what you think is OK?
If you want to change every 1000 km - go ahead.
Some might think it obsessive, but its YOUR bike and YOUR money!
Why waste your time interjecting your worthless thoughts on this? Just bypass and give the rest of us a break!
People like to hear other's opinions, except ones like yours!

·
Registered
86 Posts
So it ok to fill the forum with the same old stuff over and over again???

OK - lets hear about what everyone uses and how its the best, and you have to use it.
Because that's what will and has always happened.
How is that useful?
But I'll not read anymore. Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the thread starter was my obsession with intervals, and was it over the top, so it appears I am fairly normal lol. And a live thread is good for interaction with other members, and it brings some banter with it. New members like to join in live.

·
Registered
408 Posts
So it ok to fill the forum with the same old stuff over and over again???
Yes. Not only is it okay, it is essential.

A forum user: "Does anyone has any advice on…"

jdock: "We already answered that in 2014, stop filling up the forum with posts, I do not visit to read, converse, or share knowledge. Do not post again until you have read and memorized all 151.7K posts."

My long experience of online forums are that they are either filled up with the same old stuff over and again, or they are completely dead.

New members join all the time. They do not read all the old stuff, and they do not stick around if the forum is not being actively used.

And even people who have been on a forum for years do not remember everything they have ever read.

Besides, no topic is ever answered so completely that there is never anything new to say. And there are always people who are doing things wrong but only realize their mistake when things are discussed and they realize other people do things differently.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I concur that we've covered this before, but it has also been my observation that message boards are either repetitive or die off.

As for me, I never go further than 2000 km in a season. Lately I've been lucky to reach 1000 km. I just use Honda GN4 (conventional), and change it every Spring. I don't bother changing the oil before it sits for winter. I can only ride 6 months out of the year. For the 6 months that the bike is in storage it has the old worn oil in it. I usually end up taking it for a first ride in the Spring and then change the oil.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I concur that we've covered this before, but it has also been my observation that message boards are either repetitive or die off.

As for me, I never go further than 2000 km in a season. Lately I've been lucky to reach 1000 km. I just use Honda GN4 (conventional), and change it every Spring. I don't bother changing the oil before it sits for winter. I can only ride 6 months out of the year. For the 6 months that the bike is in storage it has the old worn oil in it. I usually end up taking it for a first ride in the Spring and then change the oil.
Leaving old oil in bike for long periods of time allows the acids that have been built up in the oil to work on the mechanics of the bike. Better to change in fall AND in spring!

Reactions: bambams
1 - 20 of 24 Posts