Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’ve had her now for just over a month and thought I’d share my experience thus far with you guys. Unfortunately it has rained almost every week since I picked it up but I’ve still managed to get about 1100 miles in on it and have played with the suspension a lot trying to make it “ok” until I can convince the boss lady I need to upgrade it. The suspension is not bad for a stock setup but could use some fine tuning.

Since I’ve had it, I’ve added a tail tidy, front and rear led indicators, adjustable shorty levers, bar end mirrors and a Saddlemen seat. The factory saddle was fairly comfy but like most factory seats it wasn’t sticky and leaned forward allowing your boys to slam into the tank on hard stops.

I expected to really notice the extra heft but have been surprised at how spry she feels in the twisties. It is definitely not as flickable as the 500 was but is surprisingly agile for its size. Once the suspension is upgraded, I expect it will be quite amazing.

The real fun comes when you twist the grip and let the revs build. It just keeps pulling harder and harder, you shift and instantly the same. It’s almost silly and I have to say there really is no need for this much power on a street bike. Since completion of my break-in I’ve had it up over 10k a few times and I have no idea why anyone would want any more power. That said, I will eventually install a full exhaust system and remap the ecu. This will be done to smooth the torque curve, eliminate the factory torque management in the first three gears and get rid of the snatchy throttle. It reminds me a lot of the snatch the 500 had prior to the PCV and tune.

All in all I do miss the 500 but this was a great upgrade that I don’t believe I’ll ever regret. Unfortunately I couldn’t have both right now. My oldest just graduated from college and my younger two are still in. Once they are out, I can justify a second or so bike in the garage and will likely pick up another 500 or maybe a 650. 🤔

I’ll still be around though as this is a great community full of really great people.

Ride Safe,

John

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Awesome photo. I like the white. My local dealer had a 2019 GSX-S1000FZ marked down to a reasonable price. I'm a big fan of getting 'left-overs' when I can. But, in the end, this was just too much cash, and much too much Motorcycle for an this old man. Congrats and Enjoy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Airhead. This was a leftover ‘18 and was so cheap I couldn’t pass on it. It’s only too much bike if you open the throttle, which is hard not to do. 🤪

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
A lot of folks are put off by advertised curb weights but it's interesting how that mass seems to bleed away at speed.

I like the look of the GSXS and wouldn't mind test riding one. Seems to have a pretty potent motor and a good chassis. Would be interesting to see how it feels and handles compared to the Tuono.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of folks are put off by advertised curb weights but it's interesting how that mass seems to bleed away at speed.

I like the look of the GSXS and wouldn't mind test riding one. Seems to have a pretty potent motor and a good chassis. Would be interesting to see how it feels and handles compared to the Tuono.
It’s fairly well balanced. I only notice the extra heft in low speed maneuvers but it’s not enough to consider difficult.

The engine and chassis are both great, especially for its price point. The suspension is “ok”, for me, and that is likely due to my size. I’m 6’1”, 247lbs. Most lighter guys tend to complain it’s too harsh. I still plan on upgrading both front and rear as it doesn’t feel 100% planted in bumpy turns.

If you were down this way I’d let you take her for a spin but Canada to FL would be a long trip for a test ride. 😬

1 - 5 of 5 Posts