Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I assume that is British mpg.

Riderxx's bike has H.I.S.S. which I do not think is available in north America, but if it were an American model it would mean 108.69 mpg in the U.K. My old 125 could only manage that on a good day, this bike is good, but it cannot be that good!

90.5 mpg in American units is 75.36 mpg.

Only two countries in the world officially use miles per gallon for fuel economy, and the values are incompatible. American ounces are slightly larger than British ones, but there are only 16 of them in a pint instead of 20. So a British gallon is 4.54609L, and an American gallon is 3.785L.

Canada though also uses the British mpg alongside the metric L/100km.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Just remember that some of you have Imperial Gallons and the rest of us have the lesser US gallons.

Ride safely

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
This gallon thing comes up all the time. Triumph released mpg on the new line, and by mistake at first confused american gallon with imperial. So we all thought the new bikes would get really good mpg. Turned out when the bikes arrived stateside, they figured out the mistake. Lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
I average 72 MPG normal riding and when touring on the highway at 65-70 mph get 55-60 MPG.I think a few of the larger scooters can do a little better in MPG but i don't know of any other motorcycle that can.

·
Registered
454 Posts
In US gallons 70-75 just putting very easy. 65ish when being a little more sporty. Don’t spend much time on high speed freeways so I would expect less if I did.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mid - Low 60's but that's on hilly curvy roads and shifting at high RPM's. Maybe I should change sprockets? Sorry I could not resist................................................................

·
Registered
616 Posts
My speedo has been saying that I am getting around 66-67 MPG and I thought it would probably suggest a high number as they tend to do.

So...I did my own test. I filled my tank up to nearly the brim. Then I ran 250 miles per the Trip gage A.

I then refilled and measured pretty closely - I got a whopping 71 MPG. I was pleasantly surprised.

However, I am a pretty gentle rider, and never aggressive nor do I hot rod or anything like that.

I am running LUCAS gasoline additive, which, in my car, I verified that it got me approx. 3 or 4 better MPG than without it. On my car which was rated at around 35 MPG on highway, I get a legitimate 41+ MPG on the highway trips.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I probably should start paying attention to what the bike's own monitor says, but I always do a full refill so just work out my MPG from that.

Just using regular supermarket petrol, I have had between between 65.5 and 77.8 mpg (British). Overall average is 71.45 mpg but still not ridden it enough for that to stabilize yet.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
If i figure it out with a calculator it comes out more then the monitor on the bike. Which makes me think the bike monitor more accurate. It looks as if the speedo error compensated by the monitor which show up using my calculator. The monitor on the bike probably dead nuts on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Either I'm running to high of speed/RPM or my bike needs a check up.... I"m pulling the high 50s in US MPG. But half of my daily commute is done at 70+ MPH and about 6K RPM.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If i figure it out with a calculator it comes out more then the monitor on the bike. Which makes me think the bike monitor more accurate. It looks as if the speedo error compensated by the monitor which show up using my calculator. The monitor on the bike probably dead nuts on.
There are two measurements that the internal use to calculate: odometer & fuel consumption. I am not sure how the second could be checked, but I did purposely take my bike past one of those police roadside checkers that give your speed. My bike's matched perfectly with that. So I made the assumption that the odometer reading is pretty dead nuts on, too.

When I calculated my MPG, I measured the gas manually to a full spot in the filler neck. Then I went a certain distance (mine was 250 miles) on Trip A, then refilled.

My calculation was within 1 MPG of the bike's - so I think the bike is pretty close to being dead nuts on!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Made sure to check the bike's own readings for the last two fillings:

78.5 mpg when my calculation was 81.44, then 72.8 when I made it 76.14. Both a mixture of road types

The first one was also when I tried using Tesco Momentum petrol, which is 99 RON instead of the usual 95. So it seems it does make a difference.

Was not near a Tesco when I was already into the reserve so could not try again. Then coming home today I topped up ready for next ride, but as I was still half full it did not seem worth mixing Momentum with the regular 95 RON. Will be interesting to work out if it just increases range, ever so slightly, or actually works out cheaper as well.

Will stick to my own mpg figures though, as they sound better!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I went on about a 120 mile ride yesterday up through the mountains of upper South Carolina and western North Carolina, and kept the bike up to pretty good clip the whole trip. I will measure and calculate mileage when I get around 250 to 300 miles on it.

However, I want to try one time to do a "very mild" ride and see what I can get for mileage. I would love to get up near 80 MPG, but so far settle for around 70. Which is 20 mpg better than my previous bike, and 30 mpg better than my BMW before that!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm sure the bike uses the same odometer as you did, so there would be no compensation for speedo error. If you fill the tank to the same point and then divide miles by gallons I don't see how there can be any error in miles per gallon. My bike also shows worse mileage than what I compute, but I think the bike must be in error. The bike estimates how many gallons are used by the position of the float on the fuel pump and there are potential errors in this.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts