Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first motorcycle and happened to get a CBR500R to start this journey with. I want to make sure I make sure to do this in a safe manner. I saw this jacket for sale on Facebook marketplace and wanted to get some insight on it. Does this look like a good jacket to purchase? Also, if anyone has a clue, how much do these jackets usually sell for?
Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Vehicle Sleeve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hiya, I have not heard of the brand, but could be a USA specific one, I'm sure someone on here may have some knowledge of it.
When I was starting out I got a fair bit of gear from marketplace and ebay second hand. I would say have a Google of the brand-Olympia came up on revzilla and some of the jackets retail around 300 although could not find this one on there.
When looking online compare the price on marketplace to what it's selling for in the shops to make sure it matches up and is a good deal financially.
Check out the sellers other items to see if they have some other second hand gear as may be able to combine it to get a better price.
When you go to have a look check out the quality of it and don't be afraid to ask questions, I usually got talking to them about bikes what they ride now, how come they are selling it, where did they buy it from, where is good to go and ride in the area. It all helps to see if they are legit.

And don't be afraid to say its not for you if you don't like it when you get there, your under no obligation and it's your hard earned cash!

The one thing not to buy second hand is the helmet, no matter how good a bargain, get into a shop and try some on and get it from there or look online once you know what size you need, most will try and price match the large online retailers. There are plenty of YouTube vids explaining what to look for when trying them on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding! I ended up buying the jacket. It was a slightly used one that I bought on marketplace for $50. It came with padding in it so I think it’s a steal for the price point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Given your description, I think many community members can relate to your situation.

Other than the Facebook marketplace you've described, are there any other "places" where you've seen A <another but same model> jacket for sale?

Are you able to ask the manufacturer, NOT THE SELLER, questions?
-If you are able to ask the manufacturer questions, how do you feel about their answers?
- - Do you feel like you are heard and are receiving transparent service?
-Does the manufacturer have records of user experiences? Do they collect information about use? Do they have a place to discuss?

*Are they able to share records, maybe images, from accidents?

Both the seller and manufacturer should be receptive to questions, especially if you identify yourself as being a new rider. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions. Please be curious and if rejected when curious, be vocal about how you think your being denied.

You should have many concerns when purchasing a jacket.
-What areas do I feel are omitted of protection in that specific model and similarly in many other models?

*Be wary of integrated armor that is contained in a pocket. The armor may move (slide) without a difficult-to-find strap, cuff, harness, etc.

Look for redundant systems. Learn how those parts fit and where they miss.

When limited, be patient and dont layer up the same common points such as the chest, shoulders, back, and elbows while missing other areas of the body such as the anatomical reference points <maybe defined as muscle groups> located at sides of your body and back of arms.
-

If you can, please be safe and purchase a full-suit ("Racing Suit").

Be safe.

-
NOTE: When you look at protective equipment, be wary of equipment that will indicate areas of <what I like to call> desire and omission. Maybe there's an accented strip of colored fabric, a logo that placed on area that you feel should be covered, etc.

Ask questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts