Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, more modding madness from China (HK)! My son felt it was critical that I add shortie levers to the CBR500R. I found decent reviews on these adjustable (short/long) levers from an international eBay seller known as "thetwowheels" on USA eBay. The parts were $34 with $8 for shipping. Item arrived in 7 days from Hong Kong. Packaging and presentation was first class. The machining and overall appearance looks quite good. They offer many color choices.

I'm not going to post the link, but a search using "CNC Adjustable Folding Extendable Levers Honda CBR500R CB500F CB500X 2013-2016" should bring up the seller.

My other recent mod was adding the rear splash guard ($110), OE, from Honda. It's another missing piece from the USA bikes. I'm also assembling my tool kit which they left off, thinking nobody would notice, so they could meet a competitive price point in this country.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK, we got these fitted this afternoon and went out for about 1.5 hrs. Initially, some might consider these an anti-mod. Some will not like the squarer cross-section of the lever - - the curved surface of the OE design is smoother in the hand and seems more natural. I think the black looks better on the bike compared to the OE part. I'm sort of neutral right now as to whether this is really an upgrade. However, I will say the little lever adjustment is kind of a cool feature.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just as an FYI, I've noticed some folks discussing the clutch lever from the CBR250. Since I had the parts in hand, here are a couple shots of the OE CBR500R clutch lever vs. the CBR250. The 250's clutch lever is clearly lighter/thinner:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
They look a lot better then the stock ones. The blue accent picks up with the blue on the bike.

I'd consider that an up-grade.

So it looks like dad enjoying the kids bike more then the kid maybe? LOL

I can remember the train set years ago and slot car racing set, I played with that stuff more then the kids.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL...I know what you're saying! However, he fully embraces everything car and motorbike related. I just can't seem to get him tuned into the maintenance/care section of the program :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Great write-up and pictures.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fulton, sorry, I'm not familiar with ASV levers.

I was willing to spend whatever I did on the Chinese items. I don't regret the purchase, still trying to convince myself that I like them. The square cross section of the lever takes a bit of getting used to. I don't intend to remove them, but I can't state that I'm 100% sold, either.

I think I've only done 400 miles or so on this bike since purchasing it. Very much looking forward to more time on it. I'm really enjoying the bike overall once I get a better understanding of what it is :) I do love the overall performance envelope it offers and its smoothness. Pure Honda :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do. Just wanted to ensure I'm going to leave the length as is before locking things down. The little sticker is a good reminder.

Had a nice ride today :) Loving this bike. It's just about perfect for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I totally understand in my 50+ years of ridding I have to admit this cb500 is as good as it gets. I ride every day and never get tired of it. Honda really outdid themselves with this line.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, Happy New Year!

I've been having an on-going issue with my clutch "adjustment" on my CBR and just realized it's due to the cable shredding. I'm trying to figure out if these aftermarket levers are to blame or I just got a bad cable. The bike has about 4500 miles on it. In my decades of riding, I cannot recall ever having a cable fail.

It's been an on-going issue and I've continued to make adjustment on the adjuster at the handle bars not realizing the cable was on its way out. I've been having issues getting the bike into neutral as the clutch wasn't fully did-engaging. I only realized this past weekend the cause of this - - I didn't see the strands of the cable were slowly giving away:

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Someone on YouTube did a video of a failed clutch cable replacement on a CBR600RR. It appears he has the same aftermarket levers I do. His cable failure looks very similar to mine. Coincidence or not? Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not a coincidence, I've learned. The after market clutch lever has a sharp ridge that's destroying the cable.

I'm going to re-fit the OE lever for the time being and see if I can maybe mod the after market part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting, I think you saved me a cable as I was about to buy those levers. Any suggestions on a decent black, red or red/black lever set?
The silver on a black bike looks awful.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's little question in my mind the lever's sharp ridge cut the cable. I really don't know who/what brand to recommend as an alternate, Tim. It seems like there are so many choices.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought the clutch lever from the CBR250R - - it's a bit more compact compared to the OE piece. I will make some attempt to modify/remove that sharp edge on the Chinese lever. Problem is, access down the channel is going to be very poor.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts