Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the insanely expensive Shoei Neotec.
If it was $300 cheaper it would be a great helmet.
As it is it is a good helmet.

It is the best ventilating helmet I have ever had actually.

- head vent on top is amazing, actually makes a cool breeze for your head. Much better than the Shoei RF-1100 I had before. This make it the coolest helmet for hot weather riding I have owned. It is super easy to operate too, the RF-1100 had six different ports you had to open and close to control head ventilation, this is a single sliding vent with two positions, go try one, you'll see how easy it is to operate with gloves on.
- front (chin) vent works as you would expect.
- The lid crack is a little small, and not adjustable like the RF-1100 was, this is the only downside on this helmet I know of. I adjusted my lid crack to be big on the RF-1100, can't do that here, so I have to push one side up a notch to get the same effect, works fine.
- I love the sun visor, also very easy to operate with gloves on.
- It came wth pinlock anti-fog, so that justifies $100 over the price of an RF-1100.

All-in-all if you are looking for a helmet that gives you an actual cool breeze on the top of your head, this is the one to buy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The neotec is modular, flip-face. I was comparing it's ventilation to the non-modular RF-1100 which was my previous helmet.

As far as I know it is the most expensive one too, ick.

Find a shop that gives you a discount, I got $100 off and it was still insanely expensive.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had an HJC Sy-Max II. The first one I received had been dropped on the chin release button during shipment. The button was broken by the impact, and the chin bar wouldn't lock. That didn't give me a warm feeling about the protective abilities of the helmet, but I returned it for a new one and wore it off and on for two years.

Ventilation was okay, but nothing special.

Noisiest helmet I've ever owned, which seems to be common with flip-ups. The internal sun visor was handy, but didn't make up for the noise.

I purchased it because people told me I'd be able to put the helmet on without taking off my glasses. It might have been the shape of my head or the type of glasses I wore, but I still had to take off my glasses to get the helmet on or off.

I didn't like it all that much. Sold it on craigslist.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the HJC Symax III. I bought it because I like that I could drink, eat, talk to people easy with it on. I wear glasses and it fits eyeglasses pretty easy. Its louder than my non flip Arais for sure.

That's the thing with flip ups, Noise. They are not the best for long trips. But to be fair the Symax III has been my only exp with them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Use the Shark Evoline 3 and it has removeable cutouts in the padding to fit glasses, good ventilation, internal sun visor and fully articulated chin piece where it pivots to the rear of the helmet unlike most other modular helmets.

Noise is a little bit higher than my Icon full face.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I love Shoei helmets, and the Neotec is a contender, but check out the Schuberth C3 or C3 Pro.
Read up at Revzilla, but try on and buy locally if you can.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I tried the Neotec, but as has been said here, quite noisy. Mostly a high-pitched whistle that earplugs didn't help with too much. It was easy enough to solve by putting masking tape along the (rather poorly fitting) seam between the chin bar and the rest of the helmet, but that sort of defeats the purpose.

I was also looking for something that was easier with glasses. I also found that it really wasn't, though the drop-down sunvisor was nice in that it avoided the need for either changing glasses or faceplate. If I were to do it all over again, I'd look for a drop-down sunvisor, but wouldn't bother with the modular feature that generally seems to make for more weight, more noise and less structural integrity. Exception being the Schuberth.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I recently bought my first modular helmet, a cheapo for $100 here in Thailand, don't know where it's made, brand nemae is REAL.

I'm very happy, they are practical, you can talk and have the feeling of wearing a "jet helmet" when flipped up.
At a red light it's nice to get some fresh air and they are easier to put on and take off.

I can only recommend them!

Reactions: StevenLy

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I got a Shoei Multitech on closeout and like it very much.

All modular helmets are a tad more noisy than the full face equivalents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased as Shoei Neotec. I find the ventilation very good and the comfort and fit (with the optional cheek pads i purchased online .... less cushion) to be excellent. No regrets!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Borrowed a buddies HJC modular for a couple months and wasn't a fan. It's nice to be able to pull the face up at stoplights, but I always felt like if I wrecked the front of my helmet would pop right off.

Just my preference. I'm a full face guy.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Is there a particular reason that you want a modular helmet? It is my understanding that they are less safe than full-face helmets, and frankly if comfort is more important than safety why even wear a helmet!?

My helmet is very tight (I guess it fits). It was very uncomfortable at first, but once I realized it was a correct fit and just wore it it didn't bother me at all. I like the full face. I can still get air moving, but I can also nearly seal my head inside (helps when you stop and the bugs are ridiculous). The helmet now fits me like a glove and I'm completely comfortable inside.

Those little half helmets that Harley guys like to wear are DOT approved too, but that doesn't mean they provide equal protection to every other... I don't really understand wanting anything less than full-faced. I can see how stylistically it is wrong for other kinds of bikes, as if that matters, but certainly for our 500s a full-faced helmet looks normal and right.

That's my 2 cents. :)

Reactions: StevenLy

·
Registered
248 Posts
Another Shoei Neotec user here. I actually wasn't in the market for a modular, but because I wear glasses I wanted something with an integrated sun visor. I tried on a bunch of non-modular with integrated visors, but the Neotec was a better fit for my head shape than pretty much anything else out there so I ended up buying one. Price was worth it, especially because it has two little channels at the temples designed to accommodate glasses wearers. I've worn it on 3 hour rides with absolutely no fatigue despite it fitting very snug and secure.

The flip-up does actually make it a lot nicer to put and take off on than a traditional full-face, but I don't use it apart from taking it on and off. I don't care if you're Tom Cruise, you look like a complete tool with the chin bar flipped up :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like my modular helmet just fine, but.......

My helmet is very tight (I guess it fits). It was very uncomfortable at first, but once I realized it was a correct fit and just wore it it didn't bother me at all. I like the full face. I can still get air moving, but I can also nearly seal my head inside (helps when you stop and the bugs are ridiculous). The helmet now fits me like a glove and I'm completely comfortable inside.

Those little half helmets that Harley guys like to wear are DOT approved too, but that doesn't mean they provide equal protection to every other... I don't really understand wanting anything less than full-faced. I can see how stylistically it is wrong for other kinds of bikes, as if that matters, but certainly for our 500s a full-faced helmet looks normal and right.

That's my 2 cents. :)
My first helmet was a Bell EVO (in HiViz, duh):
Bell Revolver EVO Hi-Vis Helmet - RevZilla

I chose it because I liked the idea of the internal visor and I thought it would just be more comfortable and user-friendly (if not quite as safe as solid full-faced helmets). On the user-friendly side of the equation I feel like I was absolutely correct, imho....It's hot in Texas, it's easy to get some air or chat and be understood...or have a smoke...which I no longer do, thank you very much and basically everything I have to say about that can be found here: youtube.com/watch?v=cX4VVA-ck8E <---cut and paste that if you care. I didn't want it to pop up inside this post as it is basically unrelated:spin

Now, with almost 10K miles under my belt (and 2 helmets later, neither of which are modular) I have this to say: screw the internal sunscreen. A good helmet will be EASY to swap out the visor and I have yet to see an internal sunscreen that is dark enough to be really useful. Certainly the one in the Bell is NOT. On the flip-side the Bell gets the Gold Pressed Latinum Award for ease of swapping out visors, btw. It is simply a breeze; if it takes 10 seconds, you must be locked in a dark closet.

Also, think about it: that internal sunscreen is taking up space in the helmet which would otherwise be used for what? That's right: for whatever it is called which protects your melon from impacts. Padding? Words, they fail me. Foam? No, not foam..whatever. You know what I mean.

As far as comfort goes, I have no complaints about my solid helmets. At all. I can still scratch my nose in them if I have to (and I ALWAYS have to)...but I can't scratch my ears in either, so there.

As far as the safety trade off is concerned: I wear mesh and not leather, so I am clearly in the Be As Safe As Possible...To A Point crowd.

If I was to buy another modular (and yes, it has an internal sunscreen):
Schuberth C3 Pro Hi-Viz Helmet - RevZilla

Probably my next helmet (I put one on at my dealer and LOVED it):
AGV Corsa Winter Test LE Helmet - RevZilla

1 - 20 of 25 Posts