Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

So I have a question regarding mods and its relation to the insurance policies. Will mods affect the insurance, and how?

Will a slight increase in horsepower, i.e. when you fit an aftermarket exhaust, affect the insurance? Also, will the insurance be void if you're involved in a crash?

If so, what mods will, and how do you make them legal/granted. From what I read (in Norway) you have to notify the insurance company on what changes you're going to make (before you make them) and then contact the DMV to register those changes, and pay a fee based on how many hp over factory you have increased. Again, this is Norway, and the automotive rules are strict and somehow ridiculous!

I know that the policies may vary from state to state, country to country and ofcourse insurance companies to insurance companies, but what do you think, and what are your experiences?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have personally never had any problems with my insurance company. they have never spontaneously requested information on my bike after I signed up with them. The only interaction is through my bank account.

There has been a few horror stories where guys that have wrecked and didn't end up getting a pay out from the insurance company. Due to the fact of modifications that make a performance increase. I've heard even a slip on exhaust is considered one. To be safe I would declare things like the exhaust where you can't really hide from. You dont want to end up not be covered or getting the full pay out because of this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
in australia most insurance companies will cover most mods as long as they are legal and listed on the policy, not sure bout overseas insurance companies.
best speak to your insurer imo.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have personally never had any problems with my insurance company. they have never spontaneously requested information on my bike after I signed up with them. The only interaction is through my bank account.

There has been a few horror stories where guys that have wrecked and didn't end up getting a pay out from the insurance company. Due to the fact of modifications that make a performance increase. I've heard even a slip on exhaust is considered one. To be safe I would declare things like the exhaust where you can't really hide from. You dont want to end up not be covered or getting the full pay out because of this.

That's exactly what I was thinking about!

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
it depends on the country but all i know, road legal original aftermarket parts are not illegal for insurance and laws.
Just ask it to your local dealer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I guess most of you here are speaking amongst different countries so answers might be a little different.

From the U.S. I notice that they don't hassle you for a slip on exhaust but however if that particular modification was not declared on the policy before hand you wont get that that mod covered in case of an accident. But for me when I had declared my exhaust my premium went up by $28.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess most of you here are speaking amongst different countries so answers might be a little different.

From the U.S. I notice that they don't hassle you for a slip on exhaust but however if that particular modification was not declared on the policy before hand you wont get that that mod covered in case of an accident. But for me when I had declared my exhaust my premium went up by $28.
I believe that i have to declare the mods for a higher premium here in Norway.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
vI believe that i have to declare the mods for a higher premium here in Norway.
That is pretty much the same everywhere else. I Have declared about couple things in the passed and it has costed me a bit higher on the policy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not the type to get anything like performance mods done really. But I have heard that the CBR500 is really quiet so some guys are actually suggesting a slip on exhaust. I have never had any experience with declaring a modification. SO how much would my premium go up on the CBR500 if I do end up getting an exhaust?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts