Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have no idea how to check my oil bc there is no dip stick... and when i change my oil where is my drain located?

i was told by the dealership i bought it from to change the factory oil out of it after i put 100 miles on it... sucks iv put 400 miles on but wth she still runs great

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ref sight glass... make sure the bike is level and not on the side stand otherwise you may think you're out of oil!.

Drain bolt is indeed underneath facing the rear - believe it's a 12mm bolt.

Additionally you should really change the filter too..

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Or...just have the first service at 600m like Honda recommends. If someone owns a bike and yet has no idea how to even check the oil level, let alone read their owners manual, perhaps such things should be left to the service centre?

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Or as the service centre would say RTFM ... better yet get, as CBR_dave notes, the oil change at the first service

·
Registered
565 Posts
Although the guys are right.. if in doubt get a professional to do it.

That said, part of the fun of owning a bike is learning about maintenance of it. We all started somewhere. I would strongly suggest to either get someone (who know's what they are doing) to show you how it's done or maybe ask the dealer to watch in as they do it.

Changing the oil/filter is an important part of keeping the bike running well and there are a few YouTube views you can use as a guide.

Most importantly.. do not over tighten the sump plug or oil filter!!

If in doubt ask!! Definitely read the manual a couple of times too..

Reactions: Fuzzy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i know how to change oil i just didnt know about my level or where my drain was.... do you use 10 w 30 or 10 w 40 oil.... my manuel said 30 but the maintenence shop said 40

·
Registered
565 Posts
I use 30w as per manual but it really does depend on where and how you are riding i.e in hot conditions and how often you plan on changing the oil...

Not much difference I understand between 30 -40 so I would stick with Honda's advice.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Yep. Someone should actually post up a DIY writeup when they do their oil change. It would help the new riders who are thinking about doing their own oil changes. It really isn't that hard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe start with a bicycle?
If anything it builds confidence. Yet, I don't think it'd help with an oil change!! That's what the shop manual is for. In my opinion if your going to do your own maintenance, you really need the shop manual (instead of the owners manual).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Does anybody here actually have in their possession a shop manual for any of the 500s yet? I might not have searched the forums thoroughly enough, but I have searched. It's not available from Helm yet, and I saw at least one post indicating that someone's dealer service shop didn't even have one yet.

Reactions: CBR_Dave

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yep. Someone should actually post up a DIY writeup when they do their oil change. It would help the new riders who are thinking about doing their own oil changes. It really isn't that hard.
I plan on doing this when I hit 600 miles, which shouldn't take but another week or two if the weather would just cooperate :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts