Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have always ran Pilots on my bike, now halfway through my first set of Pilot 5 (previously multiple Pilot 4's). I've always worked on 2 rears for 1 front. My rear is near it's end so the front is at 50%. Have picked up an issue with the front. Cannot see my front lasting for the life of another rear.

See below my email to my tire fitment shop and photos.

Michelin South Africa has contacted me but their response has been poor. Seriously considering moving to Pirelli Angel GT 2...

Hi *

I am unhappy with the wear on the front Pilot Road 5 on my CBR500R.

This does not look good for a premium Michelin tire.

See below photos, this is consistent all around the tire

• Still approx 2mm to go until the wear bars in the centre of the tire
  • 3mm to the outer wear bars
  • 90% of my riding is on the N1 highway between PTA and JHB at 120kmh
  • Tyre pressure as per Honda @ 2.5bar cold - I check this weekly
  • My shocks are in perfect condition - fork oil regularly changed, so they cannot be faulted.
]Are you able to please take this up with your Michelin supplier or provide me with their details?

1595650919981_image.png
image.png
A+ Gallery_1.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the 5s no problems at all. Rear at 4mm at 4,200 miles. Your rear has a abrasive look to it. Your stretch marks/ cracking appear to be in the contact patch only, the hottest part so I would have thought faulty. They are getting some stick but they should stand it. Only way is remove tyres and send them to Michelin. I had angel St on the last bike with no probs at all. I go one front two rears but at £145 plus fitting for a rear only I may go for a cheaper pair.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 5s no problems at all. Rear at 4mm at 4,200 miles. Your rear has a abrasive look to it. Your stretch marks/ cracking appear to be in the contact patch only, the hottest part so I would have thought faulty. They are getting some stick but they should stand it. Only way is remove tyres and send them to Michelin. I had angel St on the last bike with no probs at all. I go one front two rears but at £145 plus fitting for a rear only I may go for a cheaper pair.
Tire pictured is my front. Cracking on centre contact patch.

Unfortunately all the staff at Michelin SA are all working from home due to an apparent fear of covid while the rest of us try keep the economy afloat. Offered to meet them at my local fitment centre where they can inspect in person and tire can be taken off. But they are only allowed to work from home.

Funny enough they don't mind shipping new stock to suppliers during covid times.

Speculation their technical staff member gave is that it is due to the front braking. Have never had this issue before so not sure how they can think that. I am over 100 000km on the OEM front rotor, proof that I ride with foresight and don't brake harshly.

Regardless, I do not expect a premium tire to look like this half way through it's life.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's always possible the tire is defective, but doubtful. I've no experience with these particular tires, so please don't take this as a critique on Michelin's products. I've seen this type wear on automotive tires before and it's usually due to some alignment problem, or the tires are not balanced properly... Something causing the wheel and tire to run untrue.
Whatever you find out, this tire will not self-correct. The wear patterns you see will continue to get worse, as they are.

The other thing I can think of is the front end being misaligned. Over time, things can move around, and are not always visible at a glance. I have a link below for aligning the front end. The bike is not a CB500, but the principles are the same, and this video is really detailed and easy to follow. Good Luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's always possible the tire is defective, but doubtful. I've no experience with these particular tires, so please don't take this as a critique on Michelin's products. I've seen this type wear on automotive tires before and it's usually due to some alignment problem, or the tires are not balanced properly... Something causing the wheel and tire to run untrue.
Whatever you find out, this tire will not self-correct. The wear patterns you see will continue to get worse, as they are.

The other thing I can think of is the front end being misaligned. Over time, things can move around, and are not always visible at a glance. I have a link below for aligning the front end. The bike is not a CB500, but the principles are the same, and this video is really detailed and easy to follow. Good Luck.
Thanks very much, I will check the fork alignment out.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked my fork alignment and it was 100% Mechanic that helped out has lots of experience. His take on the front tire is compound issue, especially considering cracks deep within tread. His initial reaction on seeing tire is that it must be older than 5yrs. Manufacture date mid 2018...

PS, like the look of no mud guard. Going to try out some black plasti dip on it

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would also be unhappy with that.

Personally, I’d change it now, with the new rear, and send the old tyre to Michelin for analysis. If they find a fault, it might be something that saves another rider time/hassle/inconvenience, or from an accident. If they fobbed me off, then I’d reconsider whether to buy the brand again but, to be honest, they are still probably the best out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed they are the best, have only fitted pilots for the past 100 000km and 40 000km on my previous bike. However their South Africa technical customer care response is poor. Am considering fitting Pirelli Angel GT2 this time around and will send the (defective) tire to Michelin to analyze if they wish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts