Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, did a coolant flush and change today and noticed a pretty large amount of small, shiny metal shavings at the bottom of the pan after draining. Don't really have any experience in this department so I was wondering if this was cause for significant concern. The only thing I can think of is possibly bits of the impeller from the water pump. Other I haven't noticed any signs of failure at all, the bike is a 2015 with 9000 miles on it. Have any of y'all experienced this? Anything in particular I should watch out for moving forward? Should I just go ahead and change the water pump?

·
Super Moderator
713 Posts
As long as no other issue would be present, I wouldn't be too comcerned. I'd possibly flush the whole system with distilled water, and run it for some time before refilling with coolant and call it a day.
The only moving part in the coolimg system is the waterpump impeller, and its lubrication is not affected by these - so I don't see any potential issue with this.
Now the qiestion could be how they got in there...

·
Registered
253 Posts
+1 with Oyabun. I would probably do nothing. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to replace the water pump, or if you intend to do the repair yourself? I have a link below for a 2015 cb500F schematic. The water pump unit appears to cost slightly less than $100. Maybe cheaper some other place.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The filings could have come from when machining was carried out at the factory and not cleaned out properly but doubtful. If it was me and this is mr ocd I would take the pump off, looks like a ring of cap screws, the only thing I am not sure about is whether you will loose engine oil or not as I have not done one of these. If you have no leaks from the pump, no noises at idle, put your hand on the water pump with engine running and it feels grind free then that's the best you can do without a strip down. Oyoban and airhead83 are correct, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the insight guys! I'll start it up and look for a grinding feeling when I get home this evening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts