Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Max speed loss

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mike stockwell 
#1 ·
I changed my rear sprocket from 41 to 37 but now i cant get over 108 mph on 6th gear and in wont rev over 8000rpm on 6th, yet on 5th gear i get 105 mph on 8000 rpm and still reach the redline at 107mph, also get a speedoDRD H3 installed

#2 ·
A lot of folks change the gearing, normally increasing the front sprocket by a tooth or two. Mostly it seems to lower the rpm at freeway speeds & make the bike seem calmer. I thought about it, but have stayed with the stock gearing because I do not spend much time above 70-75 mph & normally not much over 65 in reality. Most of my riding is on small technical twisties & the stock set up works fine. First gear is a bit short, but occasionally I have to even use first in the back upon itself hairpin turn.

#3 ·
You're power limited. As well, when gearing becomes "aggressively" tall it's not unusual for vehicles to have a higher top speed in a lower gear than top, with older Corvettes being one example.

#5 ·
Get all the mods (intake, header, exhaust, tune) and look into getting a custom cam. Oyabun used to sell cams but I hear he stopped during COVID so I'm going to have Dan Crower make set to different spec that he normally sells. The engine runs out of power after ~7500 RPM on the stock cam which suck for high speed runs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.