Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post, been stalking for awhile though (great community here)... I'll preface by saying I am a bit long winded but here goes...

So, I'm fresh out of MSF and will be purchasing all my gear shortly. Going for everything helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, overpants (25 mile highway work commute in slacks would be silly). I really am stuck on either the Ninja 300 or the CBR500R. I know I want to cut my teeth on a bike for 6mos to a year or so, then move on to something bigger (assuming I don't change my mind).

After sitting on both at the dealer and examining them the build quality of the 500R is high above the 300... At least from a first inspection visual once over. What I mean is the little Ninja (the dealer had several) all of them seemed to have a loose clutch, shoddy connections on things... Kind of turned me off but I do think it looks more like a super sport then the 500R, therefore more attractive to me. But, I also love red and already scoped out all the red/black gear I want. =)

So making the 500R look better, right? I can deal with the digital tach, not my favorite but meh. The one thing that is like a huge eyesore is the damned passenger grab handles. You can unlock the seat and remove them with some bolts it appears but it looks like it might leave some weird slots exposed between the seat and the body of the bike? Has anyone done this? Would Honda's rear seat cowl cover this up?

I think Fender Eliminator, Delete Rear Passenger Handles, Rear Seat Cowl would all clean the back of that bike up amazingly well! Then it'd be on to things like exhaust (if I changed my mind and kept the bike for awhile), red reflective rim tape (then delete the ugly reflectors).

The bike is fairly new though, so not a ton of mods or support yet for these kind of things. Just curious if anyone has any info that might help me make a decision and not regret it based on the looks of the 500R.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yeah Honda's seat cowl comes with blanking plates colour matched to bike, someone posted pics other day. Can also im sure get an exhaust hanger to lose passenger foot pegs. I think it looks better than ninja 3oo and as you say certainly well made/finished, seems to be the opinion of the bike press to it is well made considering made in Thailand.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I know I want to cut my teeth on a bike for 6mos to a year or so, then move on to something bigger (assuming I don't change my mind).

If you only want a bike for 6 months or a year until you get something bigger I would recommend you get a used 250 or something. You can learn to ride on it then sell it for what you paid.
Buying a new bike for 6 months whether it be the Ninja 300 or the Honda 500, is just throwing money away as you will lose a lot on it when you come to sell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I want to cut my teeth on a bike for 6mos to a year or so, then move on to something bigger (assuming I don't change my mind).

Buying a new bike for 6 months whether it be the Ninja 300 or the Honda 500, is just throwing money away as you will lose a lot on it when you come to sell.
I'd most likely keep it closer to the year mark. I'll get my money out of it. Where I live I can ride year round and it will save me $60-80 a month in gas cost on my commute. Plus I don't trust a 250 on the highway where everyone wants to do 80 mph.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I agree, the back-end of the 500R needs to be cleaned up a bit.
Seat cowl is sweet, and I am a big fan of rear fender eliminator kits, but nothing is available yet for the 500's.
Another member on here modified his rear fender himself. He had to cut some steel tubing back there and fabricate some stuff, but it looks way better.
I plan to remove the rear passenger pegs, so I will most likely be making my own exhaust hanger bracket for the right side out of a piece of aluminum.

As far as I know, nobody makes any rear peg eliminator brackets yet.
( At least not in the USA. )

You should totally get a 500. Seems like the perfect bike for you.
I would stay away from the Ninja 300. To me, it's too much like a 250.
And it's a Kawi.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I plan to remove the rear passenger pegs, so I will most likely be making my own exhaust hanger bracket for the right side out of a piece of aluminum.

As far as I know, nobody makes any rear peg eliminator brackets yet.

Eiweiss-raceparts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
How is 60 to 80 dollars a month going to equal the 3k you would save buying used? And a 250 can do 80 lol.. Seriously, if you only going to keep whatever bike your getting for a year, don't buy new.. Think of it this way... Go out and give a complete stranger 2-3k.. Because that's just what you did.. And your going to upgrade it? At 80 dollars a month, your only talking just over $900 dollars lol, and I can promise you that you will spend more money than you think you will lol.. The most expensive part of a new bike is the first year.

Im just going to throw some numbers on a used ninja 250 (not saying this is a bike that you would buy)

price - $3000
insurance(year)- $250 (actually going kinda high on this
registration/tag - $75

And that's about it if you do research and get one of the many clean 250's out there

Now cbr500r non-abs

price - $6300 (going pretty low here)
insurance - $500 (depending on age, could be much higher
registration/tag - $75
seat cowl - $100-$150
Fender Eliminator - $80-$120 (decent quality)

Ninja 250 will be around $3325 to $4000 depending on extras/price/insurance
cbr500r will be around $7000-$8000 and possibly higher..

So, a $3k to as high as a $5k loss of money.. Must be nice to be rich lol

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
How is 60 to 80 dollars a month going to equal the 3k you would save buying used? And a 250 can do 80 lol.. Seriously, if you only going to keep whatever bike your getting for a year, don't buy new.. Think of it this way... Go out and give a complete stranger 2-3k.. Because that's just what you did.. And your going to upgrade it? At 80 dollars a month, your only talking just over $900 dollars lol, and I can promise you that you will spend more money than you think you will lol.. The most expensive part of a new bike is the first year.

Im just going to throw some numbers on a used ninja 250 (not saying this is a bike that you would buy)

price - $3000
insurance(year)- $250 (actually going kinda high on this
registration/tag - $75

And that's about it if you do research and get one of the many clean 250's out there

Now cbr500r non-abs

price - $6300 (going pretty low here)
insurance - $500 (depending on age, could be much higher
registration/tag - $75
seat cowl - $100-$150
Fender Eliminator - $80-$120 (decent quality)

Ninja 250 will be around $3325 to $4000 depending on extras/price/insurance
cbr500r will be around $7000-$8000 and possibly higher..

So, a $3k to as high as a $5k loss of money.. Must be nice to be rich lol
^This^

·
Registered
882 Posts
just heard back from Yoshi, they will not be making a fender eliminator kit for the CBR500s. requires too many mods to make it work they said.

·
Registered
27 Posts
at this early in the stage im sure they wouldn't make enough money making a fender eliminator, but that tune will probably change after a year or so of it being out and there are a lot of people asking about them. But even so, there are plenty of companies that are willing to pick up the slack from Yoshi and still make a decent quality eliminator.. Hotbodies will still make their crappy one im sure for around $45 bucks though

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't see anywhere I was being harsh, just informative. And hot bodies quality is a known fact to be low.. But when all you want is to tidy the tail of your bike for a really low amount of money without fabricating something yourself, then its the way to go.. Just don't expect it to last because its pretty much standard plastic that snaps easily.. That's why most people are willing to spend double to get a nice eliminator

If anyone thinks I was being harsh when pricing out, sorry about that... Just wish more people would listen to common sense so things like that wouldn't have to be said

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wasn't saying you was being harsh lol, just messing with ya . I agree don't buy new if you have no intent to keep.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts