Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice please, Own a 2016 CBR 500R, Was doing some simple plug and play aftermarket TailLight install but when i turn the bike on now Both the left and right indicators are on constantly and within a minute of idling the harness with the resistors starts catching smoke and melting the tape around it. Not sure what to do, Seems like the previous owner had after market lights on front and back already and the wiring config is not stock. How do i make the lights function normally and not make the harness almost catch on fire? Video of tail light running and harness that gets smokey along with wiring setup from previous owner

The TailLight i bought: Compatible with Honda CBR500R CB500F CB500X 2016-2018 Sequential LED Tail Light Taillight : Amazon.ca: Automotive

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
If it really is a simple plug n play, my advice would be to go back to square one. You'll find your short and you can tidy it up on the second go round.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
How do i make the lights function normally and not make the harness almost catch on fire?
From the manufacturer's website page for 2016 CBR500R
"Models with hazards (4 way blink), excessive heat will output from the resistors if hazards are activated for prolonged periods of time, please mount resistors up against the metal chassis for heat dissipation in sufficient cooling area away from soft plastics, tool bags, etc. "

Reading that as an electrical engineer, the resistors will get hot enough to melt plastic if the indicators are on 50% of the time for the 4-way blink. a marginal situation. So if the indicators are on continuously, as you are seeing, then smoke and disaster.

First make sure you didn't accidentally turn on the 4-way blink. I've heard of problems when using all LED lights.

Disconnect the harness with the smoking resistors to prevent them from destroying themselves and anything they touch, then troubleshoot the bike's wiring. If you have the stock parts, just plug them in - are indicators off?
The wiring problem could be in the (modified?) bike or in the new taillight/harness.

Once the problem is resolved, I would replace the harness with the smoked resistors as they are no longer reliable.

Reactions: chzeckmate
1 - 4 of 4 Posts