Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. new rider and new to this forum.

I got myself a black 2014 CBR500R ABS as my first bike about 2 month ago and love it so far. Have done a few minor mods and been looking for information on lowering the handlebar so it gives more of a sportier feel, similar to the 600RR.

Has anyone done this? I saw a video in Youtube, but no specifics as to how to install them or even the brand name. Could I just reverse the triple fork with the clip-ons so they sit lower and then put the triple fork on top?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, couldn't find a thread on this topic so I apologize for creating a new one.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Welcome to forum and congrats on the new bike.

Some others might chime in but until then try searching for "clip ons"...some stuff should come up.

I believe Vortex is one of the companies that make them but I believe there are others as well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hello guys. new rider and new to this forum.

I got myself a black 2014 CBR500R ABS as my first bike about 2 month ago and love it so far. Have done a few minor mods and been looking for information on lowering the handlebar so it gives more of a sportier feel, similar to the 600RR.

Has anyone done this? I saw a video in Youtube, but no specifics as to how to install them or even the brand name. Could I just reverse the triple fork with the clip-ons so they sit lower and then put the triple fork on top?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, couldn't find a thread on this topic so I apologize for creating a new one.
Welcome to the forums!

Look for 41mm clip-ons on ebay to get some ideas of what you might like on your bike. A lot of people here have made the change and love it.
Also look at doing rear-sets for a sportier feel as well.

Good luck and if you need anything more specific, feel free to PM me.

Ride safe and if you haven't done so yet, look at going to a Motorcycle safety course!

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I mounted the factory bars under the top clamp. There was some interference from the turn-signal switch, so I had to sweep the the bars forward a little as well as alter the lever rotation slightly. All said and done, the lower position is equal to that of any aftermarket clip on. I did it after seeing it on youtube. The owner said the shop did it.
I might get proper clip-ons eventually, but doing it this way was essentially free, and I can't argue with that.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the woodcraft risers and clip-ons on my CB500R. It is lower than the OEM handlebars but not as aggressive as the clipons found on the CBR600R. You do lose the ability to make very tight turns pushing the bike around in the garage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have Vortex clipons. First let me say that I a very happy. It does give a more aggressive riding position which I like. There are a few mods you have to make in order to get full range of the bars. Otherwise they make contact with the tank and front fairing. To me it was dangerous not to be able to turn sharp at low speeds.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I put clip ons on my bike and if you go much lower than stock it may feel like an awkward riding position if you don't also install a set of aftermarket rear sets. I rode mine like that for a season but now that I have rear sets the bike feels so much better. Riding position is a lot more aggressive and "sporty" compared to stock. Getting a true super sport riding position would require modification to the fairings.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have the woodcraft risers and clip-ons on my CB500R. It is lower than the OEM handlebars but not as aggressive as the clipons found on the CBR600R. You do lose the ability to make very tight turns pushing the bike around in the garage.
+1 on this.
41mm with 1" riser clip-ons from Woodcraft. Anything lower you risk hitting your gas tank.
With a DIY install, you have to know how to bleed your front brake and drill a into a bar itself.
I love my clipons. It feels sportier.
I would really recommend you get adjustable footpegs or rearsets to raise your foot position a bit too. I have done this on my bike, and it totally feels like a sport bike without being too harsh on your back and wrists.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone tried using a club/cafe handlebar instead of clipons.
I have a few mods that attach to a handlebar and I'd love to swap bars to not have to retro fit these mods onto clipons.
I'm also looking to turn my CB500F into something that feels less dorky and more sporty. I like the F model looks over the R especially the body panels.

I have this bar in mind (amazon link below). Most cafe bars are 25" and too short but this one has a wider center piece and as a result is 28" wide in comparison to the stock 30.625" bar. I figured it should give me enough clearance.

I'm riding on the 2017 year model

·
Registered
1 Posts
I mounted the factory bars under the top clamp. There was some interference from the turn-signal switch, so I had to sweep the the bars forward a little as well as alter the lever rotation slightly. All said and done, the lower position is equal to that of any aftermarket clip on. I did it after seeing it on youtube. The owner said the shop did it.
I might get proper clip-ons eventually, but doing it this way was essentially free, and I can't argue with that.
I just did this.... having some issues maybe you can help a girl out ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts