Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all! I bought my bike last June and it is the first motorcycle I have ever owned. I am 5’3 and have short legs even for my height. When I ride, I am tiptoeing. I bought shoes that have a thicker sole for some more grip and it works well .. unless I need to back the bike up. My dad wants me to get lowering links for my bike so I can touch the ground better. My biggest concern is how it will affect the handling. Can y’all please provide insight on the matter?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Hood

· Registered
2014 500R
420 Posts
Firstly, nice bike! Finally, the 500R is complete.

Assuming you are light weight as well, rear shock setting 'position 1' would be perfect (sag measurement) and it also lowers it a little.
Next, shave the seat cushion (the foam/padding that it) off 1" (or maybe even 1.5") at the front-top and narrow the front sides. An upholster (auto or furniture) should be able to do it. Or DIY with an electric carving knife and hand stapler (spring loaded) to finish up. The seat is relatively cheap.

If it is not enough, then (and only then), get lowering rear links, less is best, (e.g. 1"). The front can only be lowered slightly (or the mudguard will hit the headlights when the fork is fully compressed), maybe 0.5" max. It is best not to lower the rear too much (compared to the front).
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motorcycle Motor vehicle

1"~1.5" off

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Fender

"Maximum shaving" of seat (probably 2"~2.5" off; very little cushion left).

· Registered
216 Posts
I’m on tip toe I’m 5.2 got a bigger sole on my boots not ideal I will be getting my bike lowered I had a cbr600 f that I got lowered and it was fine by the way nice bikes eds and montano7

· Registered
103 Posts
I am tall enough (5' 10" and 31" inseam) to be able to flatfoot easily, but given my (ancient) age and very light weight, it was very desirable for me to lower the 2017 CB-500F so I could better manage it at stops, moving around the garage, etc. . I used Vortex lowering links (about $60 USD) and these lowered the bike 1.25". I had a Wilbers shock made, sprung to my weight (7.5N spring strength) and the sag lowers the seat another 1/2" when I'm on it. The OEM shock spring did not compress at all under me. I had to cut and weld the side stand and center stand, but I found no need to pull up the forks in the triple clamps to compensate for the lowered rear. That was 10,000 miles ago. I'm very pleased with the mod. The OEM seat should not be lowered by removing foam. It is one of the most horrible OEM seats in my long experience (87 bikes) and it likely would benefit from a gel pad or inflatable Air Hawk seat cushion. I had Russell "Day Long" Seats make me one of their seats and it's worth every penny, but for your sport version of the CBR-500 it admittedly would look a bit clumsy. And, a Russell seat is custom made for a buyer's needs and is about $500. Ralph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts