Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this was probably discussed numerous times by other users but is there anything you guys can recommend to improve mileage. I've been getting around an average of 5.2 L / 100km lately. I bought the bike (second hand) back in April and full tank would last me around a week and a half but now I can't even get to a week without having to refuel. The spark plugs are new, I cleaned the air filters as well as the injectors. I'm not sure what could be causing this issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Now that you are used to the bike, you are probably riding it harder than when you first got it. You would not necessarily notice that slow change. This would reduce gas mileage.

Check tire pressures to be sure they aren't way low (30 psi). If you are cruising over 5000rpm in a gear, shift up.

brake drag
1. a brake pad could be dragging on its disk. They retract away from the disk on sliders whose surface can get corroded and prevent movement. Ride several miles without using the brakes, stop and touch each disk very quickly to check if it's really hot. if you don't get burned, touch longer to see if a little hot = a problem. barely warm is probably OK.

2. if the rear disk is warm, the brake pedal may need adjustment to prevent your foot from keeping the pad engaged.

other thoughts
"check engine" light on?
if you removed the exhaust's catalytic convertor, search forum threads that discuss this situation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can get more accurate results by tracking your fuel consumption for the next several tanks, so you're not guessing. And for some of us ignorant Yanks, you'll need to dumb it down so's we can convert it to "miles per gallons" for our comparisons. The CB500 is capable of getting really good fuel mileage, possibly the best in it's class/size. :nerd:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest I'm quite a normal rider. The mileage has been great for these past few months until 2 weeks ago. I have a feeling it may be related to the tire pressure though. I went to the gas station the morning and the rear tire pressure was below 30 psi. I filled it up to 30 temporarily just to see if I noticed any difference and the consumption being displayed on the console actually lowered quite a bit. I'll continue to do some testing and see.

·
Registered
59 Posts
TUNED???
These are fuel injected - there's no tuning any longer.

For the next tankful I'd suggest, as posted above, you ride like a 80 year old would,
slow take offs,
roll to stops,
keep the top speed down (the biggest one),
and see if your fuel consumption goes back up!

·
Registered
71 Posts
TUNED???
These are fuel injected - there's no tuning any longer.

For the next tankful I'd suggest, as posted above, you ride like a 80 year old would,
slow take offs,
roll to stops,
keep the top speed down (the biggest one),
and see if your fuel consumption goes back up!
Service I mean't filters, plugs etc etc. Also the injectors may be out of sinc. maybe c rap old fuel won't help. Also you can get fuel injector cleaner, maybe will help.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Its sounds like you have a lot of slow 80year olds in your country lol.
Would that include a slow-moderate riding 83 year old?

At 2400 miles, I'm getting 70 mpg. That's with the 17T countershaft sprocket I fitted right after I bought the bike (new, a left over 2017) in May of this year.

Ralph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts