Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m really excited to finally be able to look into getting a bike. I was looking to get a used CBR500 or 650 only because I know I’m capable of be cautious and probably won’t have extra money laying around to upgrade in a year. Are any of these models comfortable for a 5’10” rider? I’d like any and all recommendations on bikes. Thank you in advanced :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My son's and nephew's first bikes is are CBR500Rs. They're great bikes for first bikes, in my opinion. He is about 6' and his cousin about 5'11". The bikes fit them good and have been great to learn on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
At the other end of the spectrum, my bought-new (2019) 2017 CB-500F is my 85th bike. At age 85, it's fair to say I am an experienced rider, riding an average of twice a week, 200 miles a week, on my Honda, Royal Enfield 650 (#86) and Moto Guzzi 750 (#87) and on many other bikes going back to 1953. Yes, I'm an addict. I admit it!

I bought the Honda in recognition (if not joyful acceptance) that my age and slight build (5' 10" and 134#) left me struggling to manage my two big Guzzi 1100s @600# each and I had to sell them several years ago. The Honda, with its lighter than standard (but quiet) exhaust, weighs 408#. I lowered it 2" using Vector lowering plates and a Wilbers shock absorber sprung to my low weight. I also fitted slightly taller, wider bars, a Russell "Day Long" seat built to my requirements, side cases for some luggage, a 17T (two teeth upgrade) on the counter-shaft sprocket for 13% less RPM at cruising speed. Oh, and a Scottoiler for chain lubrication.

Lacking the ability to tell my fortune, that is to say my future health and longevity, I can't suggest how long I'll remain "in the saddle", but what I do know is that a well set-up CB-500 is a top quality (made in Thailand at Honda's factory there) bike for nearly any rider needs. It is a bit light on power, but very long on reliability, ease of use and fuel economy has never, in over 10K miles, dropped below 70 miles per US gallon of unleaded 87 octane,

I am not "short of funds" and relegated to only less expensive bikes. I bought the Honda as IT WORKS! I hope you decide to get one and that you hold off letting it go too soon to buy a higher performance bike. My needs necessarily are going to be much different than a younger, newer rider's, but if you stay with the CB-500 variants you'll have a faithful, economical friend for as long as you keep it.

Ralph

·
Registered
161 Posts
The first problem is you think you need to upgrade in, what did you post, a year?!?!?!?!?!
This bike can go for 15 years AND MORE if you keep it running right.
NEVER a need to upgrade!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I agree with both kr&jd above. I am 71, bought my 500F new in 2016 & have 25,000 trouble free miles on the clock. During my 62 years of riding I have also owned many other motos, mostly in the 500cc range. As a first time rider I would suggest you buy a used 250 or 300 something to learn on & go from there. However the 500 is a good all around choice in many respects & would make a fine first bike. It is still strange for me to think of a 500 as a “small” bike since when I was growing up we all learned on 50-150cc bikes. Back then 650s were the big bikes & 500s were the mid-weights.
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

My touring/moto camping set up

·
Registered
583 Posts
Another old timer here at 80, and riding for 60 years. My 2014 cbr500r that I bought new has 76,000 miles on it and is the first Honda street bike I have owned. I'm really impressed with the fit and finish and the reliability. I had been doing valve adjustment checks at the recommended interval of 16,000 miles but never needed to change any shims. I've decided to just let it go from now on since it is such a pain to do
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting

. I sure would like to have another 10 horsepower, or even five, but since I only ride solo now, it's acceptable.
Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting White Automotive tire

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ah, McRider, a kindred spirit, albeit a mere adolescent at only 80...Plenty of growing years left..
I was very pleased to read your comment re valve clearances as my '17 F model has only 11K miles and I've decided not to bother checking clearances. Heresy to some, but with several regularly-ridden bikes I suspect that my Honda's valve clearances will outlive me! I don't believe I've ever run the Honda over 5k and that very infrequently.

"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".
Ralph

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I also have a 2017 CB500F and was thinking that maybe I was getting too old to have such a sporty bike. The 500 is by no means really powerful, but it does have an impressive amount of get-up-and-go! Or it at least seems that way to me.

I've just returned to riding (December 2020) after having had a 650 Bonneville back in the early 80s. I'm 72 years old now and figured maybe time to start acting my age. But, after reading the comments of you "seniors" out there, I think I'm gonna keep it and just get used to it as I get more experience.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts