Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have loved my 14F for the last year or so, but I'm getting the urge to trade up to a more powerful bike to help for the higher speed highway commuting I'm doing.

I've been researching the 650-700 cc bikes (non super sport) and they seem like potential "forever" bikes.

Any idea what I'd be expecting for trade in?
I feel like I'd get offered 2k at most dealers.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Sadly, if that. You'd probably make more money selling the bike privately though you incur the "cost" of dealing with tire-kickers, test-pilots and time-wasters. For many the trade-in route is easier and worth that extra cost. If you live in a robust eco-system of new-riders, rider-schools, returning riders etc you might be better off selling privately.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
293 Posts
Selling anything in a private sale is a pain in the arse I do not need. Some folks like the thrill of bargaining, almost as much as the products they're selling or buying. Not me, I'm not a salesman and have little interest in the few hundred dollars I may feel like I'm gaining. The link I have below is Kelley Blue Book, but there are others. It's nothing more than an educated guess, but most dealers will be close on trade-in and retail when advertising and marketing their bikes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Slevin, Have you considered changing the stock gearing on the 500 to make it more usable for higher speed commuting? Plenty of info on that here on the forum.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Oops I see on your post that you are already using a larger counter shaft sprocket. What kind of cruising speeds are you looking for?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
~80 mph are the highway speeds here.
Struggling to get from 70-80+ when I need to pass

·
Registered
299 Posts
Slevin, after a couple years of contemplating this, I my traded in my ‘13 F. Found a deal I couldn’t walk away from. I had previously tried selling it which was the biggest pain in the arse. Bunch of low ballers and tire kickers. I’ll never do that again. I stripped it, put it back to stock and traded it in for a little less than I ultimately wanted but once I finally sell off all the parts I’ll be back where I wanted to be.
Dealers are really working with buyers right now to sell down their stock. If you hold your ground, they’ll give you more for your bike than they initially offer. Look up NADA value. That’s what the dealer I was working with used as a reference. Your ‘14 should be worth a little more than the $2k you’re thinking.

John

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't found a deal I couldn't walk away from.
Dealers are devious in their "fees" so I don't think I will be trading up anytime soon.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm not too sure now's the best time to be looking for a bargain: 'We here in US are in the middle of a Pandemic and the economy is in a free fall. People are barely able to pay the rent and keep food on the table for their children.'
Really?? Every motorcycle dealer in my local area has had record sales, and literally have near empty showrooms. With little expectations of getting new inventory from overseas anytime soon, what's the point in reducing the price on a bike? When next person going into the showroom will pay what the dealer is asking.
We can always justify money for our big boy/girl toys. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My main issue is with them "coming down on the price" then the dealer fees get raised to offset what they dropped the price.

I could pay cash for the bike, I just don't think it's worth that much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have no idea about the trade...but I'd highly recommend the CBR650R for what you're looking for. Or the CB650, if that's more your style.

Reactions: GLSRacer

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been really wanting an xsr700
Lots of modifications can be done to make it the way I want. And I just love the way it looks.
I'll find a used one one of these days

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMO, if you aren't planning to buy a CBR650R then I would skip the 600 to 700 class all together and go with a Ninja 1000 SX. I have no plans to sell my CBR5000R due to the excellent ergos and fuel economy but I will likely buy a VFR 800 or Ninja 1000 SX at some point after I upgrade the cam on my CBR500R.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well, I did get a new bike. I'll be demodding my F and selling / trading it in sometime in the future.
It's been fun and I'm going to miss the confidence I have on the F.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts