Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still having issues with this bike being so low to the ground. I gained about 1.5" doing the GSXR 750 rear shock swap and putting on a proper size rear tire (PO had a smaller rear tire on it for some reason), but I'm still dragging peg pretty regularly. I took the bolts off the bottom of the pegs to get a little bit more lean before it drags but even with that I've got about a half inch of chicken strip left on the tire. Are these bikes just not designed to be able to lean that far or is something weird going on?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are a heavier rider you can gain a small/modest amount more by going to a stiffer front spring matched to your weight.

Check your have the preload adjusted correctly for your weight on the GSXR shock. Might be sagging more than needed.

Consider that the chicken strip width depends on tire pressure. Many of us run less than the factory rear pressure which is for full load.

I believe the max lean topic has come up in other threads - you can check.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
+1 on the rearsets swap. It won't feel quite right without clip-ons too. My current setup just had some eBay specials $140 rearsets and $40 for 1" raised clip-ons that I frankensteined the OEM inner weights into to subdue vibrations. Feels like a true sport bike with the more aggressive prone position, you will feel more confident leaning it over further, way beyond what stock config can do

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
These generic SATO knockoffs on eBay worth anything?
Yep those are the ones I got (black ones). The price I mentioned was in AUD, so yeah about that once converted to USD.

Install was pretty straight forward, only three thing that caught me out:
1) the brake light actuator spring. It IS actually the correct length, you just need to rotate the silver plate it attaches to at the top to find the correct angle.
2) Make sure to locktight every bolt.
3) From (2) I must've forgot to do the gear shift lever stub and it fell off somewhere near Timbucktoo. I improvised with a random bolt, a couple nuts, a piece of old fuel line, and some heatshrink... the bolt I used was slightly too long and scored the base plate.

One thing I will add, is that the pegs are solid fit like most aftermarket ones, i.e. they don't fold up with spring action like the stock ones. I anticipated this and order these pegs while I was at it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yep those are the ones I got (black ones). The price I mentioned was in AUD, so yeah about that once converted to USD.

Install was pretty straight forward, only three thing that caught me out:
1) the brake light actuator spring. It IS actually the correct length, you just need to rotate the silver plate it attaches to at the top to find the correct angle.
2) Make sure to locktight every bolt.
3) From (2) I must've forgot to do the gear shift lever stub and it fell off somewhere near Timbucktoo. I improvised with a random bolt, a couple nuts, a piece of old fuel line, and some heatshrink... the bolt I used was slightly too long and scored the base plate.

One thing I will add, is that the pegs are solid fit like most aftermarket ones, i.e. they don't fold up with spring action like the stock ones. I anticipated this and order these pegs while I was at it.
no, we ordered these ones back then: https://nobunaka.com/product/cbr400r-cbr500r-adjustable-rearsets :D but yeah, they look the same :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
no, we ordered these ones back then: <<Nobunaka>> :D but yeah, they look the same :)
Yeah had those, converted my bike back to stock ergos when I was doing plenty of commuting and sold them and the clip-ons. Then months later had seller's remorse and wanted to go back but couldn't affort the Nobunaka's so bought the cheaper ebay ones. I do miss the GP shift of the nobunakas though ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm trying to actually follow a budget in 2020, once I've paid my latest Walther off I'll snag a set of those guys. I went ahead and bout the pegs you recommended so those will be ready to go on when I get the rear sets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts