Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

one thing that I cannot verify during a test ride is how well the vision is using the new LEDs at the front.

I only know them from cars and there the vision is amazing compared to regular bulbs.
Anyone here with similar comparison knowledge?

thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
45 Posts
IMHO my CB500X LED headlights are neat, beatifull and completely useless at night. Don't know how they are on CBR but I suppose the results is similar. On other hand my VStrom has ol' & good halogen bulbs and they are amazing - high beam is powerfull and general performance is similar to car´s headlights.

The problem with LEDs is their light spectrum - too many blue component - it dazzles when reflected on road signs but it doesn't illuminates well certain colours and surfaces:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A pitty. Well, the LEDs on my car are extremely powerful, feels like day ride at night.
Halogen cannot compete on this level, which is why car manufacturers switch to them.
However, I was not sure if those of the CBR are useful as well. Seems like no :/

·
Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
45 Posts
A pitty. Well, the LEDs on my car are extremely powerful, feels like day ride at night.
Halogen cannot compete on this level, which is why car manufacturers switch to them.
However, I was not sure if those of the CBR are useful as well. Seems like no :/
Headlight power and light emission on modern cars and bikes is limited by regulation, not by technicall issues with halogen bulbs. The issue with halogen and incandescent bulbs is their power consumption and the amount of wasted heat but at the present day they are the unique artificial light source with Colour Rendering Index = 100. Some expensive LEDs have CRI>90 but most automotive LEDs has lower CRI.

The problem is the price as always - cheap bike = cheap LEDs. Cheap LEDs = low CRI. Low CRI = difficult view at night despite high LED brightness and more eye fatigue.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There was a very good review of aftermarket headlight LED's for replacing halogen bulbs on YouTube maybe 4 years ago.

They tested many and the bottom line was that cheap LEDs were just that, some were dim and all threw light into oncoming driver's eyes. Only the 2 or 3 most expensive put high amounts of light down the road with an accurate low beam pattern.

What I am saying is that each LED headlight will be different. Don't assume a 2016 CB500 LED headlight behaves the same as the newer 2019 design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is also a big difference between aftermarket led bulbs and complete systems as cars or bikes usually have.

I read in some reviews that the leds of the cbr500R were great for night riding which I ned to do a lot for my job.

·
Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
45 Posts
Found a video in Youtube of a night ride with CBR500

Seems better than my CBX but still not enough for long night trips.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Found a video in Youtube of a night ride with CBR500

Seems better than my CBX but still not enough for long night trips.
As far as I see it is quite typical in the sense of that rear suspension preload and/or headlight beam is not aligned.
The 500 series is a budget bike, unfortunately it has less good optics and electronics as some more expensive bikes.
Proper alignment halos a lot tho

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
What I am saying is that each LED headlight will be different. Don't assume a 2016 CB500 LED headlight behaves the same as the newer 2019 design.
I'm fact, the lights seem to have the same part number 2016 onwards, so no changes AFAIK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a new 2021 cb500f, ride at night home from work, 12-2am etc. I find the headlight to be more than adequate! I also slow down at night just for animals etc.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My 2016 CBR500R’s LED headlights are pretty poor. Actually, I’d go as far as to say they’re some of the worst headlights I’ve ever experienced, of any sort. If I rode in the dark any amount of time I’d have changed the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 2016 CBR500R’s LED headlights are pretty poor. Actually, I’d go as far as to say they’re some of the worst headlights I’ve ever experienced, of any sort. If I rode in the dark any amount of time I’d have changed the bike.
I only saw some YT videos where it looked really bad. But then again, videos often do not justice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

one thing that I cannot verify during a test ride is how well the vision is using the new LEDs at the front.

I only know them from cars and there the vision is amazing compared to regular bulbs.

thanks in advance,

Chris
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

thanks in advance,

Chris
Hello,

thanks in advance,

Chris
I found the LEDs on my 2020 CBR are amazing at night. Ridden the country road between Orange and Bathurst NSW (Australia) at night and found them to be excellent. .

·
Registered
635 Posts
The headlamp on my 2016 CB500F is also very poor. That I just avoid riding at night. Which is not too difficult.

But in late 2019 my dad was in hospital so I was regularly travelling between my house and his, and with it getting dark about 4pm I always tried to set off so I would arrive by then. One time I was late, and had to ride on a narrow country lane, lots of undulations, awkward bends, cracks and bumps etc. and had to be really slow and cautious. Not something I would want to repeat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ride my 500R to work at night periodically. The issue with the LED headlights is the sharp flat focused line beam. Whatever is below the line is well lit but above that line is dark. SO, when riding on an unlit tightly winding road, when you're in the turn you cant see what's ahead of you, basically the road in the turn is black. I've resorted to mounting a pair of LED driving lights to my faring to light up the road in the turns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts