Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am in the process of installed LED lighting for the turn signals and integrated brake light. Everything is wired up, the small major issue is the resistor for the rear light gets hot to the point of melting the outside heat wrapping and smoking.

My setup is: LED turn signals up front with no resistor or adapter plugs; they are just spliced into the original wiring (no daytime running light), integrated brake light with built-in resistor and plugs, and no delay fuse to keep the lights from hyperflashing.

Anyone electrically inclined have thoughts on why the rear resistor is getting to this point? My only thought was that it might be handling all the LED output power? Again, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Below is what the resistor looks like for a visual.

Thanks,
Yums

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
The rear resistor may get hot if it's incorrectly being used on the brake "running light." The resistor is simulating an incandescent lamp so it's going to get pretty danged hot if it's used for anything other than an intermittent load like a turn signal. To put this in perspective, an incandescent lamp is nothing more than a resistor which gets hot enough to glow.

Overall, replacing the relay with an LED compatible unit is the best possible option for LED signals. It's under the gas tank but it's not a difficult install and you won't need to wire in resistors.

I think I used this one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rip the resistors out, and change the flasher relay for an LED relay. The relay costs less than $10 takes 20 minutes to fit and fixes all your problems, using a load resistor is a dumb way to fix the flasher issue.

Gary

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, @Thrasherg I agree, it's just what came with the back light and was working fine with the standard turn signals before the LEDs. @icarusian I have a new replacement relay coming in tomorrow, luckily the gas tank is easily removed so hopefully like Thrasherg said it will be a simple job. If all goes well I'll post some pictures of the process just in case someone is weary of mucking about with a gas tank.

Thanks again

·
Registered
317 Posts
Good move. I didn't even need to remove the tank. I just flipped it up a bit and was able to access everything with my dainty ladylike hands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts