Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2014 CBR500RA. Recently I've had this issue where I'm not able to fully insert my key into the key slot. I've tried jiggling the handlebars, I've used graphite lubricant, and i've even tried a brand new key.

Unfortunately I'm just not able to push the key down all the way, to twist and unlock the handle bars.

I'm really not sure what to do here. It's possible this could be a barrel problem but I really hope not as repairs here are expensive (I'm in Canada).

Please share any advice you may have. I've been at this for days without any luck. Thank you very much, in advance!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hasn't been that cold where I am. However the traditional problem with locks in winter is water frozen in the barrel. Inject alcohol into key slot to thaw.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The keys are notorious for being easy to bend, laterally. So, check that the key is flat.

Keep Healthy

·
Registered
442 Posts
My barrel broke, some of the pins had worn down against the key that they were stuck in the barrel and would not come out, so the key could not correctly position them to turn.

I wonder if it is possible for something like that to happen in reverse, where the pins wear in such a way that get caught sticking out, preventing the key going in?

If you do not have a spare key to try, I would use a bent paper clip or similar just to "feel" the pins and make sure you can push them all in. That way you can rule out the lock being the problem, and it will almost certainly be a key problem as ExTex suggests.

My problem was expensive to fix as I needed a mechanic to take away the bike, with the steering locked, remove the barrel and then send it to a locksmith to be repaired. Although that was still much cheaper than Honda charge for a replacement barrel.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I almost never lock my steering stem.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I believe in the U.K. it is a requirement of all insurers to use the steering lock. No other security is required unless you declare it. But the policy savings are so small, if at all, that it is not worth it to put yourself in that position.

As much as it is the barest minimum of security that a manufacturer can offer, my experience of having to help get my bike onto a flatbed truck to recover it from a supermarket car park to my dad's house, and then seeing it go into the mechanics van, the steering lock does seem to make a difference at being able to move a bike.

And the only time I am aware of someone trying to steal mine was when it was parked in a park in Leicester. Just kids, so more vandalism than being able to do anything with it, but they were spotted and scared off by locals, who found me and told me what happened. Apparently were trying to break the steering lock and failed. They also failed to break a tiny £10 disc lock.

It was that experience that made me get a proper wired alarm, as I had a simple self-powered motion detecting one under the seat which never went off, I was close enough to have heard it if had. It also taught me to never stop in Leicester.

Theft aside, the steering lock also makes it more difficult for anyone to accidentally turn the bars and cause the bike to fall over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem as OP, same model bike.
Technical lubricants made not difference. Only thing that worked for me was making sure the key was in the dead centre of its slot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a 2014 CBR500RA. Recently I've had this issue where I'm not able to fully insert my key into the key slot. I've tried jiggling the handlebars, I've used graphite lubricant, and i've even tried a brand new key.

Unfortunately I'm just not able to push the key down all the way, to twist and unlock the handle bars.

I'm really not sure what to do here. It's possible this could be a barrel problem but I really hope not as repairs here are expensive (I'm in Canada).

Please share any advice you may have. I've been at this for days without any luck. Thank you very much, in advance!
Might wanna try your spare key. This happened to me on numerous occasions...Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts