Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title, there have been a few times that the key in my brand new F will not turn to the "on" position. (yes, when the handlebars are straight) When this happens, even if I apply force, it still will not budge. If I pull the key out/in a couple times and do some wriggling it will free up and all is well for awhile. Does this happen to anyone else? Is it requiring just a squirt of WD-40? Or is there more at play here? I tried the search button, but the only troubles were from water freezing in there, so am unsure if this is a known issue?

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do the canuck bikes have HISS? I've had problems with the key switch, but it normally happens with the steering lock. Sometimes I have to press down on the key cylinder to get it to turn.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So it sounds like it disengages the lock fine, but doesn't turn that last bit to 'on'? Interesting... You can try some lubricant (graphite lube is made for locks, I wouldn't recommend WD40).

Does your bike have the HISS system? I'm not sure which markets that's in, and if it would make a difference.

Edit: Posted above me probably got it right with having to press down.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the Canadian bikes don't have HISS. Pressing down does nothing. I have only tested the steering lock once, and it worked fine. (no need to lock it where I live) It seems like the key just might not be machined as precisely as it should be; I will try the other key, see how it fares.

Will a bit of WD-40 squirted onto the key blade itself actually harm something?

Glen

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have applied WD-40 around the rim of the lock to push away the surface rust. I haven't personally had any trouble with my lock. When it gets stuck maybe going the reverse direction (locking the steering) and back might help? It does sound fishy. Your bike is brand new and should be covered by the warranty so you may want to bring it to the dealer to have them check it out.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have applied WD-40 around the rim of the lock to push away the surface rust. I haven't personally had any trouble with my lock. When it gets stuck maybe going the reverse direction (locking the steering) and back might help? It does sound fishy. Your bike is brand new and should be covered by the warranty so you may want to bring it to the dealer to have them check it out.
Thanks Bambams. I will try to avoid a trip to the dealership for the time being, as this would involve an overnight journey, due to my crazy-remote location. I'm confident this can be resolved by either applying a bit of lubrication on the key, or trying the spare key.

Glen

·
Registered
850 Posts
The ignition keyway is the one thing that is sub par quality on these bikes. In my case, used to be sometimes the little flap over the opening did not like to open. I squirted lubricant (maybe WD-40) and also graphite (powder) lubricant into the slot. It has behaved itself since. I never had the key not turn where I wanted it to turn, though.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I know you said you do not lock your CB500. But I notice when I push the key down to unlock mine and move it to the unlocked position it will not move any further. I have to let the spring in the ignition switch push the key back up before I can turn it to the ignition position.

If you are pushing down on your key and trying to turn it to the ignition position , that may be the problem.

I also found that sometimes it is difficult to push the key into the ignition switch. It usually happens if I am the wrong side of the bike at the gas pump. Motorcycles are like horses, you always have to mount them from the left. Or I am not standing behind the switch. Finicky little things. Not my actual words most of the time.

Reactions: bambams

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know you said you do not lock your CB500. But I notice when I push the key down to unlock mine and move it to the unlocked position it will not move any further. I have to let the spring in the ignition switch push the key back up before I can turn it to the ignition position. If you are pushing down on your key and trying to turn it to the ignition position , that may be the problem. I also found that sometimes it is difficult to push the key into the ignition switch. It usually happens if I am the wrong side of the bike at the gas pump. Motorcycles are like horses, you always have to mount them from the left. Or I am not standing behind the switch. Finicky little things. Not my actual words most of the time.
Thanks Paul. I just went and tried to duplicate the problem, and of course it is working perfectly, so I can't experiment until it acts up again. Tried it about 10 times and no issues. Arghh! But you've got me thinking that just maybe I was unknowingly pushing the key down slightly when trying to turn it. Don't know, but I will keep trying to duplicate the problem and will let you know what I find.

So far, I have had no issues while pushing the key into the ignition; only because it stays in there. (except the one time I have put gas in the tank!) I know this must sound weird for those who don't live in Mayberry, but all 2,500 residents on this island leave their keys permanently in the ignition. (yet I have never heard of any vehicle ever having been stolen or broken into) :confused2

Thanks,
Glen

Reactions: bambams

·
Registered
74 Posts
My bike does the same thing - I think it's just close tolerances in the keyway. I sort of vibrate the key and it goes. I suspect that as the key and internals wear a bit this will become less of a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As per the title, there have been a few times that the key in my brand new F will not turn to the "on" position. (yes, when the handlebars are straight) When this happens, even if I apply force, it still will not budge. If I pull the key out/in a couple times and do some wriggling it will free up and all is well for awhile. Does this happen to anyone else? Is it requiring just a squirt of WD-40? Or is there more at play here? I tried the search button, but the only troubles were from water freezing in there, so am unsure if this is a known issue?

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
471 Posts
Two years ago my key would not turn, a rescue mechanic could not fix it so have to recover the bike to my dad's house, then have a local mechanic take it away for repair. And that required moving it with the steering lock on. Not fun.

The problem was that some of the pins in the lock had worn down, so were sticking inside the barrel against its edge. So they never even reached the key for it to move them.

Luckily the local mechanic was able to remove the lock and send it off to a locksmith to repair, who diagnosed the issue. Still expensive, but much cheaper than replacing the barrel completely.

In hindsight there was a clear sign of this happening. There had been very occasional times the key did not turn, but eventually did after lubing or pumping the key in and out that I just thought it was an issue of dirt in the barrel.

More obvious, the worn pins and left indentations on the key which I had seen but had no idea the pins were wearing too and not just the key. Or the implications of that happening.

·
Registered
102 Posts
WHAT - "Motorcycles are like horses, you always have to mount them from the left" ???

You can "mount" from either side and I prefer the right!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts