Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys and gals do to protect your bike?

Things like trying to avoid scratching up the paint and keeping the front from getting too nicked up from bugs and rock chips.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
3M nose piece and tank. Clean. Also use lemon Pledge to remove bug guts. Use soft cloth to clean.....no paper towels as it leaves swirls on the paint and helmet visor.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Another option to keep your cbr500 paint protected is to wrap the tank, cowls and huggers. I have never really use anything specific just conventional over the counter cqr wash soaps and microfiber towels. Does anybody detail their bike with any specific cleaners? Never been much of a detailer but if someone cqn recommend some polishes and waxes that would be great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I see car guys use opti coat a lot.

I might consider using this on my farings just for some extra protection and easier cleaning.

Has anyone used opti-coat before? Would you use it on your bike?

·
Registered
175 Posts
what is this opti coat? is it a wax or is it a polish. The first thing i would like to do when i get the cbr500 is add some protection to the fairings and cowels. I noticed on my current bike there are so much spider web swirls on it and never had knew how to really fix it. Ive heard the name opti coat or seal come up a few time but not exactly sure what it is.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hoping to do the bikes first wash this weekend (only had it a week).. the manual says not to direct water under the seat and at headlight. Is that them being over cautious or will it really cause an issue?

I have mud & dirt under the seat wheel arch that needs washing off!!

As for the headlight, I understand it may result in some condensation but I have to give the bike a good wash..

(it's an 'F' btw - hope you don't mind me hijacking the 'R' thread ;))

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have yet to wash my bike with full water and hose. But I have scrubbed it down with a micro fiber cloth and some soap water. Following it up with windex and then polishing it so its shiny. I ride everyday so I end up having it clean it every other day.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hoping to do the bikes first wash this weekend (only had it a week).. the manual says not to direct water under the seat and at headlight. Is that them being over cautious or will it really cause an issue?

I have mud & dirt under the seat wheel arch that needs washing off!!

As for the headlight, I understand it may result in some condensation but I have to give the bike a good wash..

(it's an 'F' btw - hope you don't mind me hijacking the 'R' thread ;))
Probably them being over cautious but it might be worth you just using a damp rag on those places rather than firing the hose pipe at it;)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Carnuba wax on the painted parts. ArmorAll on the plastic parts. Spray foamy glass cleaner on the polished metal parts.

I don't go crazy with the ArmorAll, because it attracts dirt, but it's nice if you use it sparingly. Some people hate it.
I don't typically use it on the tires.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It says not to spray water under the seat, not under the wheel arch - 2 different places.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I get it washed twice a month with pressurized water and car cleaner and no problems regarding headlight or underseat.
Apart from that i am busy and lazy guy and only protection measures i am using are tank pad and hard parts like brake caliper protector, sliders etc.
I like my bike dirty a bit!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Zaino Brothers all the way. It's a bit expensive but your bike paint will shine so much, the bike looks wet. Do the first wash with Dawn dish soap to strip all the cheep wax and follow the instruction from Zaino. The only downside is your paint will beed off any water and dirt. Okay maybe not a downside but if you hug the tank you will just slide off. LOL. I use to use it it on all my vehicles. Now that I have a Jeep Unlimited... Well I don't worry about it anymore. :D My first wash on the new CBR will be with Zaino. Oh and you only buff and apply the uv protectant once a year. You can do more but it is just waiting it. It is real amazing stuff. If you want to go back to your old polish you can just use Dawn and start over.

Reactions: Kooky47

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
I have heard of people using sealants on motorcycle fairings before. Its proven it success on cars. it last pretty long compared to wax. And you get even longer protection when you layer it with wax on top of it.

Do you have any pics of your vehicles with Zaino?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to try some of those new permanent sealants that are being offered. I've heard good things by others who have used them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have heard of people using sealants on motorcycle fairings before. Its proven it success on cars. it last pretty long compared to wax. And you get even longer protection when you layer it with wax on top of it.

Do you have any pics of your vehicles with Zaino?
I don't. Never really thought to. My brothers bike is red. I'll take a photo of it after we Zaino it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My dad used to have a show car so I use meguirs quik detail for just a quick wipe down. I'm thinking of coating it in meguirs gold wax and then putting the new 3M spray clear protectant on the front and tank. It's like the invisible bra for a car but even better because it wont leave lines and it can just peel right off. I'm also going to put the 3M spray on my wifes new Wrangler to keep the bugs off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Bike Spirits for both cleaning/polishing the bike and helmet. It can practically be used on any surface without damaging it or leaving a grime. Not sure if anyone else does but I've been using it for about a month and works well with bugs on the helmet and front as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I havent waxed mine yet because I need a nice overcast day to do it, but I have spray detailed it a few times. I use Turtle Wax detailer that has a little bit of protectant mixed in on all the panels and tank.

·
Registered
175 Posts
washed and waxed each friday.. its a daily and gets alot of dust from passing trucks when its parked at work. meguiars techwax works a treat!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts