Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from Forbes 10/12/2012

"The Most-Stolen Motorcyles

Keep an especially close watch on your motorcycle if you own a Honda and live in California, as you’re statistically more likely than anyone else in the nation to have it stolen – especially during the summer months – according to data compiled by the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) in Des Plaines, Ill.
The good news is that while motorcycle sales rose slightly last year, thefts actually dropped by about six percent, totaling 46,667 reported stolen. Still, that amounts to one bike pilfered in the U.S. every 11 minutes.

As one might imagine, motorcycle thieves were most active in the summer months, with the most bikes stolen during July (5,544) and August (5.397); the fewest were stolen during February (2,147) and December (2.475), when they’re typically garaged for the winter in roughly half the nation.
The top five motorcycle brands reported stolen, which together amounted for 75.6 percent of all bike thefts during 2011 were:
  1. Honda (11,014)
  2. Yamaha (8,880)
  3. Suzuki (7,281)
  4. Kawasaki (5,009)
  5. Harley-Davidson (3,120)
Unfortunately the study did not cite exactly which models within these lines were most theft-worthy.
The states reporting the most motorcycle thefts were mostly in warm-weather climates and accounted for 39.3 percent of all units stolen:
  1. California (5,927)
  2. Texas (3,950)
  3. Florida (3,927)
  4. North Carolina (2,466)
  5. Indiana (2,114)
Concurrently, the states reporting the fewest stolen motorcycles were in areas having much harsher and longer winters, including Alaska, Vermont, South Dakota, Wyoming and North Dakota, the latter with just 21 bikes pilfered during 2011.
As with auto insurance, most states mandate minimum liability coverage for motorcycles, though theft (comprehensive) insurance is optional. Often overlooked, those who’ve personalized their rides will additionally want to carry accessory insurance that covers the cost of non-standard parts like aftermarket audio systems, fairings, luggage racks and the like, which can be substantial. “When people customize their bikes, they often don’t adjust their coverage accordingly,” says Progressive Insurance motorcycle product manager Dan Kamionkowski."

I only found this out after a friend told me it's why the cbr500r is 2-300 dollars more to insure than the cb500f, cb500x, ninja 300, and KTM Duke 390 (which is not even out yet)

·
Registered
505 Posts
This is from Forbes 10/12/2012

"The Most-Stolen Motorcyles

...The top five motorcycle brands reported stolen, which together amounted for 75.6 percent of all bike thefts during 2011 were:
  1. Honda (11,014)
  2. Yamaha (8,880)
  3. Suzuki (7,281)
  4. Kawasaki (5,009)
  5. Harley-Davidson (3,120)
So few Hardly-Davidson's? Probably because they were missing parts that had fallen off! :eek::rolleyes::D

·
Registered
643 Posts
You got it in, so they will be able to get it out. 3 guys and a van and its away. They don't care if they scratch it or wreck it. Happened to my mates bike outside a supermarket in daylight with loads of people about.

Get another of those chains round that concrete pillar and lock it to the other one. Or just make sure it's well insured. Having the photo with it locked up is a good idea if you need to claim.

Hopefully it will be ok though!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
It they want it theyll take it. I am fortunate to have a garage for night parking.

I ride in fear everyday of not knowing if my bike will be okay. Luckily my school grounds has good camera views. I think....

So far I have a disc lock and thats it!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a bike stolen from the front of my door in a gated community with cameras. If they want it, they will take it.

I keep my bany now in a garage with a disk lock alarm on the rear and another disk lock in the front. Best of all, I have comprehensive insurance.

·
Banned
832 Posts
yeah, that is true, if they want it they take it. Other they i have seen youtube vide about how one guy got on top of the bike and pushing against handle bar with their feet to break the lock. Those creeps are creative.

·
Banned
832 Posts
I had a bike stolen from the front of my door in a gated community with cameras. If they want it, they will take it.

I keep my bany now in a garage with a disk lock alarm on the rear and another disk lock in the front. Best of all, I have comprehensive insurance.
I also purchased comprehensive. But from geico. Geico sucks never responds and never able to reach anyone but disembodied operator. BAsically nothing of a security device will prevent like you said they will take it. THen why bother putting disk locks...
Lengthen the time they working the steal the bike?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree if a thief wants your bike no matter how many security devices there are, they will get it or at least wreck it trying. It's scary when you watch on you tube how easily they can snap through these big expensive supposedly unbreakable chains.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Yeah, I would get that chain around that concrete pillar.

Some chains cut easily with a pair of large bolt cutters. Locks are harder to deal with if they are good quality larger ones.
Thieves will bring tools. ( Li-Po cut-off wheel makes quick work of locks and chains. ) They will scope out your bike before they attempt to jack it.
They know when it sits unattended, and for how long.
They might even watch to see where you go, after you park and lock it up.
They work in teams. They will have a lookout watching where you are, to alert their crew who is jacking your bike, should you come out unexpectedly.
Sometimes they don't care if you catch them. They have weapons and will just attack you.
In the old west... you could shoot a horse thief.
Personally, if I walked up on a crew trying to jack my bike... I think it would be perfectly justifiable for me to pull my Glock and start driving holes in them.
Society would benefit from my swift and prudent action.
Sadly, the courts probably wouldn't see it my way.
The sh1tbag criminals have more rights than the law-abiding citizens these days.
:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I have a disk alarm. Sure, not the most secure thing in the world, but it's loud. I also park in an area that's dark unless the sensor detects something moving, in which case it lights up. Two things thieves don't want, noise and light.
It's also parked just below where I sleep. So I'd be on them in seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Those are raw numbers. There are more motorcycles here than anyplace else, so when adjusted for the number of motorcycles, our rate of theft is not much worse than other populous states.

And Hondas tend to be one of the more popular brands, so again, it's not all that surprising.

Supersports have always been the top theft category. CBR600s are always one of the most-stolen bikes, along with R6s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can't get my bike at night. It's parked in a triangle between two cars (noses 1.5ft apart) and a cement wall. Will be getting a disc lock soon though.

·
Banned
832 Posts
There is a parkign spot right next to that space so it is possible to blockade that whole space just by parking. However it is not my space, I am trying to see if I can negotiate with the parking space owner. If they agree that would be awesome so taht I can just park in that spot. Once I take off just backup little bit and space opens again. Thanks,

·
Banned
832 Posts
Learned that if any part of the chain touches ground then it is easier to undo them using bolt cutter. So I wrapped the chain this time around steering handle and have it went through fork, so I thinkg it is more effective? It is actually quite hard to chain around that pillar as it has just barely enough length (chain) and I have to park it exactly right. If I get second chain, it might be easier.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
just take a look, toward the 2/3 of video two guys just put in the van. entire thing took less than 1minute
Honda CBR600RR 2007 STOLEN! - YouTube
A decent disk lock on the rear might very well have prevented this one. They were able to pick up the front and just roll it on the rear wheel, pull the front wheel up in to the van and keep on rolling. Block the rear wheel from rolling and they likely would have picked an easier target. In the end, that's what theft prevention is about. The pros will get whatever they want if they want it bad enough, but they'll prefer to go for the easier targets. Amateurs will only go for easy targets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts