Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, finally I picked one up yesterday!

I know, that HRC sticker is going out.

Mint condition, still on warranty until 04/2019, 4.400KMs on it, sold for 4.400€ - Pretty sick deal isn't it? What do you think?

Few things I noticed that I'd like to ask:

One is the "reservoir coolant jug" beneath the bike. It was basically almost completely empty. It had just a tiny bit left in the "sag" part of it (see image, red line).

I rode it to the closest motorbike shop (not Honda Official or anything of the likes), and the guy told me "it was completely fine as the radiator was full and this jug was just the reservoir". But then again, why does it specify in the manual that the level of coolant should be between the marks if according to him it's unimportant? He added some and that was about it. I must say that I made about 70kms before that and the Temperature Light did not show up, and it was a T-Shirt hot day. I also haven't spotted any leaks around the engine or droplets in the floor overnight. Where specifically should I look for leaks and if leaking wouldn't be the issue, why the **** was the jug empty of coolant?

Another question I have is about the tires or most importantly the rear one. It seemed pretty square (flat in the middle) to me, at the very least very square for just 4.400KMs. What do you guys think?

because I also did not have greater confidence leaning at slow speeds than the confidence I had doing so with my old CBR125R. Could be the tire being too squared/flattened out?

Regards!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The answer to both questions is don't worry so much.
Your rear tire is going to square. It's the nature of the 500. This amount of squaring at this point in the tire's life probably indicates the previous rider didn't keep the pressure up to specs. Run the life out of that tire. It'll be just fine. When you're ready for a new set, consider the Battlax BT-023. It has a more linear tip in and requires more deliberate input. That should give you more confidence leaning over. I personally prefer the sharp tip in of the stock Dunlop, but the Bridgestone is a better tire overall.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@chzeckmate Noted. Cheers mate. What do you think on the price, considering dealerships let it go at 6.450€?

And by the way. Any actual clue on the coolant thing?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
@chzeckmate Noted. Cheers mate. What do you think on the price, considering dealerships let it go at 6.450€?

And by the way. Any actual clue on the coolant thing?
You got a very fine deal. Congratulations! You're in for a real treat with that bike!
I personally wouldn't worry at all about the coolant. If your radiator is full, you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Plasma1

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got a very fine deal. Congratulations! You're in for a real treat with that bike!
I personally wouldn't worry at all about the coolant. If your radiator is full, you have nothing to worry about.

Oh, misread you on your first message, apologies. Many thanks for that! I'll be reading you around for a long while :smile:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My f model came new low like that. I just added some fluid to thetop line.
Very interesting. Probably an overlook by the dealer? (usually they're kept without fluids while they're sitting in the dealerships). Brand new as in ordered a unit from factory, or maybe that was a neglibily used unit returned by somebody else or whatever?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I guess I rather should worry
What are we looking at here? My eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What are we looking at here? My eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Water pump (I reckon?) with that drippling liquid, a problem I've read about several times when I was informing myself about the bike, which I thought only affected the 2013-2015 model.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Is it actually dripping oil or is it just greasy? Mine had unexplained grease spots around that area when new. Cleaned it and all was fine.
Clean it up real good and watch it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It might be that the front sprocket is gunky with chain oil and is dripping down. Search for how to change the front sprocket on this forum, which will tell you how to get to it.

This is my gunky sprocket that I cleaned a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: chzeckmate

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Is it actually dripping oil or is it just greasy? Mine had unexplained grease spots around that area when new. Cleaned it and all was fine.
Clean it up real good and watch it.

There's a droplet on his way down, as you can see in the pictures, so safe to assume it's dripping. I think I'll forward it to the dealership as is, so they can assess the source of the problem. The bike is still on warranty, as well.

Afterwards I'll clean it up (if they'd dismiss the leak, which they hardly will TBH) and keep a close eye on it for the next months.

@sonicboom Somewhere a bit above that area there's this hose: https://i.imgur.com/CImMv7o.jpg Why do you mean?

@hillscbr (thanks for the picture, very illustrative), here I have some more shots taken from a more "bottom to top" angle. Looks like a leak to me, specially because the side closer to the sprocket (right side of the images) is actually clean, and instead all this bottom part is a mess; even the bolts in the opposite side of the sprocket that in no way could grease reach there, are all oily: https://imgur.com/a/mhk6sBF

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That's from oiling the chain, excess collecting and it will drip. When i looked at it at first i thought it was high up under the gas tank. There is a breather line up there that can weep, but this is from oiling the chain.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It doesn't look that serious to me TBH. I'd clean the area with brake cleaner or other degreaser, take it for a ride and have a look at it for fresh evidence of leakage.

You might check the WP mounting bolts to ensure none are loose.

If it has started leaking coolant replacement is pretty easy. The worst part of the job would be draining the coolant and re-filling/burping air out of the system.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Clean and inspect again. I had the same issue and it ended up being the water pump. Oil should not come out the hole. The hole is for weeping coolant. See manual for details.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When the engine is cold, top up the coolant to the top level mark and keep checking (when the engine is cold). If the level keeps dropping, there might be a problem which would need further investigation. When I had my CB500X from new, I had to keep topping the level for the first 1200 miles but it has remained at the same level since. You should keep the level between the upper and lower markings.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts