Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, just got a 2018 CB500F with 1,300 miles on it from a local motorcycle shop. Decent price and it's flawless in appearance. It comes with a 30 day, 500 mile guarantee on parts/labor if anything is wrong during that time period.

I've only found one thing that really bothers me and to be quite honest is very annoyinh.

At about 3,900-4,100 rpm when accelerating or decelerating the bike will vibrate and buzz, and I feel you can somewhat hear it too. You can feel it in the seat and if you grip the tank with your knees - there as well. In other words you can tell when the tach reads this speed without looking. The engine revs freely and shows nothing in the speed range, it seems to shift and ride fine. I've had it there twice to have it looked at and they tell me it seems fine and don't see any issue with it. Both the owner and head mechanic have test-ridden it. Things I've done since I got it - checked the rear wheel is centered, changed oil with actual honda oil and filter. Made sure clutch and accel cable are correct. Tire pressures checked as well - cleaned and lubed chain, proper slack.

I find the issue very concerning that the transmission somehow has something wrong. It shows up at that speed range in 2-6th gear. I know it's to their advantage to deny anything is wrong until the time frame has passed. Are there any kinds of tests I can do myself to help me figure out what might be going on; or to show them so they can see it?

It only had 1,300 miles on it and I've ridden about 400 now; wondering if this was why they sold it and got something else. I didn't notice this on my test drive before buying but I'd never been on anything bigger than a chinese 250 dual sport so I was rather nervous and could easily have missed it.

Any thoughts or ideas on what it could be or how to figure out how to get them to see/feel it would be great. thanks

· Registered
2014 500R
420 Posts
Assuming it is a "new" bike (true 1300 miles), then it's normal.
This engine vibrates/buzz at ~5K rpm (but can start at 4K when new). Change the oil at 3000 miles and there should be improvement.
Mine "smooth-out" completely by ~6000 miles (~10,000 km); that's when i don't even notice/feel the buzz anymore.

· Registered
304 Posts
I learned a new term from this thread -- bed-in. My experience with the 500R is that it did seem to "vibrate" some at highway speeds. It was not a sound, but a feeling. Regardless super stable. It did freak me out. I'm not sure when it stopped. It's not like that now. I've put my kickstand up alot more in the last year, and have recently changed the tires. If it has factory tires, you might change them to get a better ride all around.

· Registered
743 Posts
I think part bed and part getting familiar. Tyres certainly make a difference. I personally find Michelina's very supple, and lighter than most tyre makes, which helps with acceleration. But I am using pirelli because of the price. Maybe michelin next time. I also run my pressures lower which helps.

· Registered
304 Posts
When I got my tires mounted at Cycle Gear. I did not realize it, but they filled the tires to track pressures. I was riding on them from the day I put the wheels back on my bike -- I thought wow these tires really grip the road -- Bridgestone Battleax S22's (were on sale at CycleGear). I only realized several weeks later when I checked them before.a long weekend trip that they were at track pressure. I went to Honda's recommendation. Either way they made huge difference in how deep I could go on the turns. I feel like the highway miles were much smoother. I don't know a lot about tires. Just went with some research and the recommendation from the guys at CG -- they all run S22's. I had no idea that track inflation pressures are so much less. Many people have recommended Pirelli's and Michelin's too.

· Registered
2014 500R
420 Posts
With any crash bar, it must be installed "properly"; with the frame upright "fully unstressed", the engine fully supported into position, before bolts are tighten in the correct order (as per service manual).

· Registered
90 Posts
Mine smoothed out by ~2000 miles but has been getting progressively worse since 7k miles. I'm just about at the end of riding season now so I decided to park the bike and I'll do a valve clearance check and spark plug change. I've got 9k miles on the bike and I can't find anything else wrong with it so I'm hoping it's just the valves that are out of spec.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With any crash bar, it must be installed "properly"; with the frame upright "fully unstressed", the engine fully supported into position, before bolts are tighten in the correct order (as per service manual).
Can you please summarize the correct procedure as I don't have access to a service manual at this time? thanks

· Registered
72 Posts
My 2014 F model has this vibration at approx 60 mph. I think it's about 5K rpm. Rolls into it about 60 and out of it a bit past 63 mph. I can tell when I hit 60 mph by the vibration without looking at the speedometer. It's not major, just a slight vibration. It never goes away. It's just part of the dynamics of the engine I suppose. I have 37K miles now and it's still the same. I never gave it another thought after I figured out what was going on. I have replaced sprockets, chains, tires over the years. Ever present under all conditions. I just learned it was a Honda quirk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts