Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All,

I just completed my MSF course and now planning to get the cbr500r abs model. I am 5'8" and around 173 lbs.
Is this a good starter bike to begin my riding career. Please let me know or should I go for Ninja 300.
My only riding experience is on the Suzuki GT250 in the MSF course.
Any advice is much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took the same class as you did about 10 years ago. They taught us on Honda Nighthawks LOL. I went out and bought a brand new Ninja 250 and quickly got tired of it. The Ninja 300 is definitely more beefy then it's 250cc predecessor but I would recommend to get something that you won't get tired of within weeks. I personally went with the 500 cause I wanted a little bit more power but not in the Super Sport range, i think I'd be in the same boat as I was before with the 300

Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Krueger81 on your reply. For me getting tired will certainly take a long time as I have to get used to riding properly in the first place LOLZ.
I want ABS and here in NJ I checked with couple of dealers and only one so far has ABS in red( i was told US will only get red ABS). I will have him shipped at my place and then do a lot of practice before hitting the actual street riding in traffic.
NJ is notorious for traffic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Mrzeal, just my two cents right here, but I'm going to recommend -neither- bike, here is why! For much, much less money, you can get a used Ninja 250, Ninja 500, or if you wanted another brand, Suzuki GS500. That way you can see over a month, or 6 months, or years time if you enjoy motorcycling and want to stick with it.

I owned an '06 Ninja 250 for 4 years and it was definitely a good experience. Learned a lot of things owning that bike, stuff like repair, maintenance, cheap fixes, what parts to use, how to ride, all sorts of day to day useful information. I also barely spent any money on the bike, bought it for 2,000 and sold it for 1,500 this year. Literally spent less money on the bike itself than the cost of gear, oil, and gasoline to run it.

If your heart is set on a new bike though, either the Ninja 300 or CBR500 will be a fantastic bike for you. Neither are supersports and they don't have punishing acceleration if you aren't glass smooth with the throttle. If you get the ABS version, you'll have some more margin of error for braking. Pretty similar in all characteristics, size, engine performance, gas mileage, ergonomics, riding posture. CBR500 has the slight advantage for overall engine power and torque, but keep in mind it also has 40'ish pounds over the Ninja 300.

For the record, I went with the CBR500R as a second bike :) 'Grats on finishing the MSF course and good luck finding your first bike!

Reactions: CNI Dawg

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
If you felt comfortable in the MSF course and you had fun with it, then I'd suggest the CBR500. I'm a little smaller than you (5'8", 140lbs), and I have no problems handling the CBR500. My only prior riding experience was dirt bikes up to 175cc, so I made a sizable jump and was fine.

On the other hand, if you didn't feel comfortable in the MSF class or you aren't sure if you will enjoy riding a motorcycle, then I would take Startsdawn's suggestion and get something used and/or smaller.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also forgot to mention, one thing a lot of people forget, typically first bike is the one you'll drop, if it ever happens. Doesn't matter if its from the wind, didn't make a good stop at a light, braked too hard, dropping a bike sucks. But its not the end of the world and in the end, its just a bike. On a side note, if you're going to drop a bike, find a friend and drop his bike, first! ;D Just kidding, but seriously one thing to consider if you're worried about dropping a bike, something to consider buying new versus used. For the matter, the Ninja 250 I was riding was so small and lightweight it was extremely easy to hold up and keep balanced. Ninja 300 is about 50 pounds heavier and the CBR500R another 40 pounds past that. Admittedly none of them are bad when you compare them to a beefy 600-800 pound "cruiser" type motorcycle like a Vstar or Shadow.

Reactions: CNI Dawg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all of you on your valuable input. I am in 2 minds now but I will go to the dealership and sit on the bike once again and get the feel. Not sure if I will get to test ride the vehicle. In MSF course, I didn't drop the bike but again its just around 10-12 hours of driving and certainly I cannot say that I will never ever drop a bike.
Will also check 06-08 bikes in sub $3000 range. I am not a cruiser type guy so its a strict no-no.
Thank you all once again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also forgot to mention, one thing a lot of people forget, typically first bike is the one you'll drop, if it ever happens.
it will cost roughly the same to repair a used bike as it would a new bike if u drop it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
it will cost roughly the same to repair a used bike as it would a new bike if u drop it.
The CBR500R won't have any used parts on eBay for a while yet :(
Heck we can;t even get all new accessories for the bike yet !

You'll find more used parts for the Ninja 250 / 500

If you get a used bike & drop it you just repair what's needed to pass state inspection (and make bike safe to ride again)

Just eat the $$ loss when you sell it to the next beginner wanting a bike to learn on

Hopefully you won't be dropping the bike

But dropping a brand new bike & damaging it always makes me shed a tear (and chew myself out..... repeatedly)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello to All,

I just completed my MSF course and now planning to get the cbr500r abs model. I am 5'8" and around 173 lbs.
Is this a good starter bike to begin my riding career. Please let me know or should I go for Ninja 300.

thanks in advance.
MrZeal - I am right where you are with picking a bike and have some info that might be helpful. I haven't completed my MSF course yet (taking it in about 3 weeks) but I have a CRF230F dirt bike and have had a Honda Metropolitan scooter for 10 years (I know its a scooter but here in Phoenix you drive it around traffic with people going up to 55-60 mph so I am used to driving a tiny little bike in traffic) so I have some 2 wheeled experience.

Last week I thought I was going to get a CBR250R, then I started thinking about the 300 after talking with 2 guys who work for me who ride (one has a Ninja 250 from a couple years back and another who has a 2011 CBR1000). They both told me to at least check the 300 out because with my experience they thought I might get past the 250. Now that I have been looking at the 300 I got some quotes and the Ninja 300 is so popular here in Arizona that even though the list price is only $1000 different from the CBR500 the out the door price may be closer to $500-$600. That's not much difference to get the CBR500. Now I am leaning toward the CBR500 with the thought that I will never 'outgrow' it as I am 40 years old and just want to have safe fun on a bike, not push my limits as a rider. Now, I say that knowing that jumping to the CBR250R to the Ninja 300 to the CBR500R I have added about $2200 to the cost of the bike, which is not insignificant. My thinking now is that $2200 more now that saves me from having to sell a bike, buy another bike, registration, etc might be worth it for me. The thing I haven't checked is how much the insurance jump will really be between the 3 bikes - I need to do that before I make any decisions.

As for the buying a used bike part that is really up to you. My wife and I had a very bad experience with a used car that was only 14 months old (i.e. still under the 3 year warranty) that has stayed with us almost 20 years later. My wife is very worried about me getting a used bike as its like an airplane (you don't want to be on it when something goes wrong). Remember, 'starter' bikes like a 300 usually are bought be newbies like you and me, many of which don't take the time or effort to properly maintain the bikes - let alone not tear them up somehow and cover it up cosmetically. Most people will probably by a used bike and be fine, but I would say if you can afford it, buy a new and the piece of mind that comes with it. If you drop it take your lumps and chalk it up to learning (and pay to replace whatever you broke :) )

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks SandMantis - that's where I am leaning right now, pending the call to the insurance agent. I have heard that as long as you stay in the sport arena (and don't jump up to the supersport) the insurance is about the same. Plus I have age and a clean driving record on my side. I think, for me, it is probably the best long-term choice.

Thanks again - I appreciate that feedback from more experienced riders.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For what it's worth, my wife and I both adjusted from the 250s in class to the 500R immediately. Certainly not experienced, but both of us feel confident in handling/riding the bike.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My first bike is the new CB500F......I've only ever ridden dirk bikes and not that much either. It's a very easy bike to feel comfortable on and it's not scary to ride unless you want it to be. I'm a complete noob and i can't wait for the rain to stop so i can get back out there.

No.....she ain't getting wet!

·
Registered
10 Posts
3rd time lucky

I passed my DSA in October after only sitting on a bike for the first time in August 2012. I went out and bought an ER6F and dropped it twice. Changed for a GSX 650F my dream bike dropped it twice and totally destroyed my confidence - only had it 4 weeks - I'm 5ft4 and 59k so on the small side- these bikes were ace to ride but when I came to a stop I fell off they were far to heavy and I was far to inexperienced - I get my CBR500R today a bit of I downsize but it's way lighter and I will have fun - the football boots have to fit and mine does now and it's still a beautiful bike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello to All,

thanks in advance.
It's relative to where you are. Whereas a 500cc is considered a "learner" bike in the states, in my country that's major leagues. I woulnd't recommend a 500cc bike as the first bike. I believe the europeans know what they're talking about as far as learner bikes are concerned. They have to spend a full year on a 125cc before the can get anything bigger.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It's relative to where you are. Whereas a 500cc is considered a "learner" bike in the states, in my country that's major leagues. I woulnd't recommend a 500cc bike as the first bike. I believe the europeans know what they're talking about as far as learner bikes are concerned. They have to spend a full year on a 125cc before the can get anything bigger.
Not exactly. It's about both age and experience in Europe

If you're:
17-19 you can't ride anything more than a 125cc (15bhp)
19-21 you can't ride anything more than a bike with 47hp
21-24 you can get any bike at 21 if you have spent two years riding a 47hp bike and have passed all the tests needed

If you decide to start learning when you are over 24 you could in theory get any bike you wanted as a first bike providing you have passed the appropriate tests.

I suppose they think a person over 24 is responsible enough to own a big bike without going too crazy with the speeds it can do

I understand what you are saying though, I certainly wouldn't recommend a 600 as a first bike, a ninja 300 or honda 500 should be more than enough for someone with no experience

1 - 20 of 30 Posts