Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading these forums and posting about my Harley to Honda thread....I finally bought it. The bad thing is the bike wont be prepped till tomorrow. I want to ride so bad now its 85 degrees in northeast ohio.

More pics and mods to come soon!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Congrats!
Fortunately, there will be more nice days.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought it at western reserve Honda in mentor,ohio. I bought a bike from them in 2007 and they were great!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Be very careful wiping down the windscreen. The plastic is very soft and very prone to scratching. A common cleaning cloth scratched mine. I wish I would have used a scratch-free microfiber cloth that I use on my glasses and plasma tv from the very beginning with my windscreen.

Also, I would suggest installing the 10mm wide rim tape instead of the 7mm like my dealer installed on mine. There is room for 10mm rim tape on the rims.

If you choose to install the rear seat cowl, you may want to put four small pieces of 3M protective film underneath each corner of the seat cowl to prevent the cowl from scratching the paint underneath. I'm trying to get a price quote from www.thetankslapper.biz on four small pieces of 3M film. I haven't heard back from them yet. I did buy their two fuel tank non-3M protective film kits to prevent scratching my fuel tank.

Color Rite does sell touch up paint, touch up primer, and touch up clear coat for your new CBR500R. I have a very small chip on my fairing. Here is what I ordered from Color Rite for current and any future touch-ups. I ordered the small bottles with the small brushes. I'm hoping this will give me more control than the touch-up pens.

QtySKU: 2949PriceExtended Price 1
Honda R263 Millennium Red
SKU: 2949

Size : Touch-up Jar
$20.95$20.95QtySKU: 1043PriceExtended Price 1
1043 Base
SKU: 1043

$20.95$20.95QtySKU: TUPrimerPriceExtended Price 1
Touch-Up Jar Primer
SKU: TUPrimer
$13.95$13.95QtySKU: TUClearPriceExtended Price 1
Touch-Up Jar High Gloss Clearcoat
SKU: TUClear
$13.95$13.95QtySKU: WIPEPriceExtended Price 1
2 Prep-Wipes
SKU: WIPE
$2.49$2.49
Prep-Wipes One package

WD-40 will indeed help you remove those decals on top of the fuel tank very effectively. Soap and water did not work well.

I ordered a dust cover from carscover.com
The dust cover is for indoor use only and they did have directions on how to clean the inside of the dust cover from dirt picked up off of your bike. I was impressed by that.
They didn't have the CBR500R listed on their site so I selected the CBR600R.
Honda CBR600RR MOTORCYCLE Cover Blackshield Motorcycle Cover

Enjoy your bike! I'm taking mine out for the first time on Saturday after I complete my MSF course on Thursday and Friday.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be very careful wiping down the windscreen. The plastic is very soft and very prone to scratching. A common cleaning cloth scratched mine. I wish I would have used a scratch-free microfiber cloth that I use on my glasses and plasma tv from the very beginning with my windscreen. Also, I would suggest installing the 10mm wide rim tape instead of the 7mm like my dealer installed on mine. There is room for 10mm rim tape on the rims. Finally, if you install the rear seat cowl, you may want to put four small pieces of 3M protective film underneath each corner of the seat cowl to prevent the cowl from scratching the paint underneath. Finally, Color Rite does sell touch up paint, touch up primer, and touch up clear coat for your new CBR500R. I have a very small chip on my fairing. Here is what I ordered from Color Rite. I ordered the small bottles with the small brushes. I'm hoping this will give me more control than the touch-up pens.

QtySKU: 2949PriceExtended Price 1
Honda R263 Millennium Red
SKU: 2949

$20.95$20.95QtySKU: 1043PriceExtended Price 1
1043 Base
SKU: 1043

$20.95$20.95QtySKU: TUPrimerPriceExtended Price 1
Touch-Up Jar Primer
SKU: TUPrimer
$13.95$13.95QtySKU: TUClearPriceExtended Price 1
Touch-Up Jar High Gloss Clearcoat
SKU: TUClear
$13.95$13.95QtySKU: WIPEPriceExtended Price 1
2 Prep-Wipes
SKU: WIPE
$2.49$2.49
Prep-Wipes One package

WD-40 will indeed help you remove those decals on top of the fuel tank very effectively. Soap and water did not work well.

I ordered a dust cover from carscover.com
The dust cover is for indoor use only and they did have directions on how to clean the inside of the dust cover from dirt picked up off of your bike. I was impressed by that.
They didn't have the CBR500R listed on their site so I selected the CBR600R.
Honda CBR600RR MOTORCYCLE Cover Blackshield Motorcycle Cover

Enjoy your bike! I'm taking mine out for the first time on Saturday after I complete my MSF course on Thursday and Friday.
Thanks for the tips and most of all taking the time to give me the part numbers. I just copied and pasted them to my computer. I love the rim tape but don't know how well I would do putting it on.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Very nice! Welcome to the family. I've got one just like it down in Columbus area. Any future plans for it?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for the tips and most of all taking the time to give me the part numbers. I just copied and pasted them to my computer. I love the rim tape but don't know how well I would do putting it on.
I hear you! I had the dealership put mine on for me. They had to install it twice to get it to look right. Some members have purchased curved pieces of reflective tape that maybe easier to install if you do it on your own.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm taking mine out for the first time on Saturday after I complete my MSF course on Thursday and Friday.
The MSF course is a valuable learning experience. Pay attention, they will give you pointers that may well save your life.

Since you are in Conroe the forrest from Montgomery to Richards is a nice ride. Just ride it as a tourist! :)

Reactions: Conroe_Keith

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I get it home all warning decals are coming off. The seat cowl will come soon I hope. As for the exhaust, gonna wait a while till more people get them and get good power commander maps. The biggest mod is gonna be my gear. I'm gonna look funny wearing my Harley stuff riding this :)

Reactions: Natrix

·
Registered
380 Posts
The MSF course is a valuable learning experience. Pay attention, they will give you pointers that may well save your life.

Since you are in Conroe the forrest from Montgomery to Richards is a nice ride. Just ride it as a tourist! :)
Thanks Rob for the riding suggestions. I'm really looking forward to the MSF course. I think it will be a lot of fun. I'm taking the course Awesome Cycles offers. They seem to have a good reputation and good instructors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts