Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a danmoto one from amazon shipped for 140 looks like the Leo but always get compliments on it I think it looks great too had it for about a year sounds awesome

·
Registered
122 Posts
Probably neither, but the way it sounds, you'll spend more time in the upper power band anyways :)
Definitely neither... but not unlike most if not all slip ons. There may be a slight benefit due to the 8 pound weight loss... not that my bike notices it hauling my carcass around hahaha. But like all the slip on choices, it definitely sounds better and looks great. There is a definite 'sweet spot' in the upper power band ranges. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
With the baffles in.... do you still hear some throttle off popping?

I want that deeper sound but I don't want that de-acceleration popping thing going on.

·
Registered
171 Posts

I want that deeper sound but I don't want that de-acceleration popping thing going on.
I think most if not all slip ons with out baffle will produce the popping on deceleration and some power loss down low around 3500 rpm but I am only speaking from experience with my Two brothers exhaust.

I found that if you install a baffle with a similar size to the stock exhaust, a few things happen-

you regain that low end torque as I assume you create a little more back pressure.

You also tone down the obnoxious volume of the TB but still have a nice rumble.

You no longer have the popping on deceleration.

I made my own baffle as the TB baffles were still to large.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You can buy baffles that insert inside the pipe from J&P Cycles that work very well. I'm using those baffles with my Triumph Bonneville with very good results. It increased my mid range (had lost mid range power with my Predator system) no throttle off popping, just that deep growl within a decent DB level, tolerable for the neighbors. MPG increased with the inserts, a nice benefit. Also noticed it smoothed out the entire feel of the bike. Open exhaust systems add vibrations into the frames.

Stock OEM systems truly are tuned to the system very well. They are actually highly engineered systems to provide less vibrations, better MPG, better mid range power, with a balance at higher RPM's. Often some power with OEM systems only lost at the very high RPM's that we often never even get to, often very close to the RPM limiter. Real world riding after market systems often de-tune these bikes.

You need back pressure with Double overhead cam heads. It's just the best efficiency for these type motors. Even my previously owned HD's benefited greatly when I increased back pressures with reducing washers. Dyno testing with a couple HD's proved interesting. Found out the stock exhausts on those bikes gave the best mid range power, as with any motor.

We all want more sound (deeper tone) and a little more power, but most after market systems I have found are not well enough engineered.

Take apart a stock muffler and you will find out these things are very highly engineered for more reason then just DB levels. Actually reducing the sound often not as restricted as we think they are. A great deal of Dyno testing and flow data put into these stock systems. The after market often shoot from the hip, without actual tuning data ever used or considered as with OEM systems. So we pay big bucks to de-tune the engine. Cat chasing it's tail.

·
Registered
171 Posts

You can buy baffles that insert inside the pipe from J&P Cycles that work very well. I'm using those baffles with my Triumph Bonneville with very good results. It increased my mid range (had lost mid range power with my Predator system) no throttle off popping, just that deep growl within a decent DB level, tolerable for the neighbors. MPG increased with the inserts, a nice benefit. Also noticed it smoothed out the entire feel of the bike. Open exhaust systems add vibrations into the frames.

Stock OEM systems truly are tuned to the system very well. They are actually highly engineered systems to provide less vibrations, better MPG, better mid range power, with a balance at higher RPM's. Often some power with OEM systems only lost at the very high RPM's that we often never even get to, often very close to the RPM limiter. Real world riding after market systems often de-tune these bikes.

You need back pressure with Double overhead cam heads. It's just the best efficiency for these type motors. Even my previously owned HD's benefited greatly when I increased back pressures with reducing washers. Dyno testing with a couple HD's proved interesting. Found out the stock exhausts on those bikes gave the best mid range power, as with any motor.

We all want more sound (deeper tone) and a little more power, but most after market systems I have found are not well enough engineered.

Take apart a stock muffler and you will find out these things are very highly engineered for more reason then just DB levels. Actually reducing the sound often not as restricted as we think they are. A great deal of Dyno testing and flow data put into these stock systems. The after market often shoot from the hip, without actual tuning data ever used or considered as with OEM systems. So we pay big bucks to de-tune the engine. Cat chasing it's tail.
Agreed, Honda have spent millions engineering this bike and the stock exhaust is perfectly tuned through out the rev range. That's why i have not modified the engine as I don't think that I can out engineer the engineers.

The only reason that I changed to a slip on was that I could not hear the engine / exhaust whilst riding with my ear plugs in.

The two brothers with the baffle gives me the right mix between exhaust note and no noticeable torque loss. It lighter and looks better than stock. That stock can is huge and ugly...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Keeping that mid range torque often a sign things are set up right.

It was a very noticeable difference with the Triumph when I put those additional baffles inside the pipes. Got that mid range back. I could feel the difference as soon as I left the driveway. Very noticeable.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I wonder if this thing will fit onto a 500 2016 F model with a center stand? Clear the center stand what i'm wondering?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm also interested in getting the Coffman shorty, after doing some research I found that some people rivet gun their exhaust and some people don't, do you actually need to? I kind of don't like the idea on drilling the pipe. I know by riveting the exhaust it will secure it more, but what if you decide to take it off? Is it easy to take out the rivet nail?
I'm also torn between this exhaust, and delkevic mini. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
1 Posts
DB level

Okey so I have a 500F and live in Europe, I really like the coffman, does anyone have a DB measurement on it. I know it's not legal, but if it's not that loud it will be fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How hard is it to remove the big Coffman decal?

61 - 80 of 81 Posts