Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Honda CB500 riders!

First time posting here, hoping I can get some answers on a particular issue i'm having with my 2015 Honda CB500F.

Alittle background on myself first, I'm a new rider, obtained my licence about a month ago. My experience on riding different motorbikes include a 2010 Yamaha YBR-125 and a 2017 Honda NC750S. Both these bikes were fairly easy for me to ride and I did not find much of a "jerky" throttle response from both, apart from very slow speeds in first gear on the Yamah YBR-125.

My Honda CB500F however feels very different to both the other two bikes i've used in the past. First and second gear especially feel super sensitive. Small amounts of throttle roll-on or roll-off seem to produce a response i'm not use to. I feel unstable when making turns as the bike tends to jerk backwards and forwards due to throttle input. This feels scary at times if i'm trying to ride around a sharp turn or on roundabouts. I've tried my best, within my skill limits, to control the throttle and keep it as stable as possible when turning and leaning the bike, but the throttle feels very sensitive to me.

Is this a charactaristic of the bike and has anyone else noticed this throttle response from these Honda CB500's ?

·
Registered
613 Posts
IMO you will need to adjust to the bike as there is not much that can be done to change the bike. Take time and practice and I am sure you will get used to it.

I find it also very responsive - more so than the last five bikes I have owned. Older carb engines did have a hesitation.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I find that if you have too much free play in the throttle cable it will cause the bike to be very jerky at slow speed. Try adjusting that and trying it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The throttle has very little free play. The chain tension seems to be within the 40mm recommendation, although i will need to accurately measure to be sure.

Could a dirty chain cause the bike to behave this way at all?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
No, a dirty chain will not cause the jerkiness,

but if some of the links are rusted, they can cause the chain slack to change as the chain moves over the sprockets and may add to the jerkiness.

I found that the initial gearing to be too low and changing to a 16T drive sprocket helped with the jerkiness.

My 2015 was not as bad as an earlier model that I test rode.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The throttle has very little free play. The chain tension seems to be within the 40mm recommendation, although i will need to accurately measure to be sure.

Could a dirty chain cause the bike to behave this way at all?

No a dirty chain will not cause your problem, I find the bike can be a bit snatchy at times,but you will soon get use to it.

Plasma1.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I find if I’m off the throttle in 1st or 2nd then go on the throttle, it is jerky. So I feather the clutch a bit on pick up.

Also as you mentioned, check chain slack. You dont want too much slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
I find if I’m off the throttle in 1st or 2nd then go on the throttle, it is jerky. So I feather the clutch a bit on pick up.

Also as you mentioned, check chain slack. You dont want too much slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QU

Yes that’s what I do ,

Plasma1

·
Registered
823 Posts
+1
as mentioned by Hill above ☝ the key to smoother riding is between the right wrist and left fingers...
in a tight turn, rather than closing the throttle completely, trail brake with the rear and modulate the clutch accordingly to control the speed.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I wonder if it is possible to change the twisting "ratio" of the throttle to cable movement? To get a less jerky throttle motion, one could do one of two things: 1) make the diameter of the handlebar throttle tube, thus pulling less cable per revolution movement, or, 2) make the throttle cam at the engine end of the cables larger, also reducing the amount of rotation of the throttle down there.

I would bet that neither of these things are possible without one doing it as a machine shop project.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My son had a KTM Super Duke that was so snatchy on throttle pick up that someone sold an accessory throttle tube with a larger cam.

I personally don''t have a problem with my 500R.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2015 CBR500R. Worst bike I have ever ridden for a snatchy throttle.

Got a Throttle tamer https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g2-throttle-tamer-honda and also changed the back sprocket from the standard to a 39 tooth one (if i remember correctly).

Different bike now, rides real nice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I went for a ride after cleaning my bike yesterday, and overall everything felt alot better. Perhaps I need more time to get use to the bike and how it handles.

Is it considered a safe riding technique to feather the cluch while taking slower speed turns(<20mph?) I'm alittle afraid to do this while the bike is leaning....

·
Registered
405 Posts
I went for a ride after cleaning my bike yesterday, and overall everything felt alot better. Perhaps I need more time to get use to the bike and how it handles.

Is it considered a safe riding technique to feather the cluch while taking slower speed turns(<20mph?) I'm alittle afraid to do this while the bike is leaning....
In the UK you have to ride in a figure of 8 (several times) around two cones at approx 2 - 5 mph feathering the clutch to pass your test. If you put your foot down you fail.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2015 CBR500R. Worst bike I have ever ridden for a snatchy throttle.

Got a Throttle tamer https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g2-throttle-tamer-honda and also changed the back sprocket from the standard to a 39 tooth one (if i remember correctly).

Had a look on Revzilla site but I didn't see a tamer listed for my cb500f,but would like one if I can get one.

Plasma1

·
Registered
705 Posts
Had a look on Revzilla site but I didn't see a tamer listed for my cb500f,but would like one if I can get one.

Plasma1
I've linked the site of the manufacturer of throttle tamer earlier. Follow that link, and you shall find it.

·
Registered
294 Posts

When you fitted your throttle tamer did you have to take off the petrol tank and slack the cables off where they meet the injector, or was there enough room at the handle bar end to fit the cables to the new twist grip.

Plasma1

1 - 20 of 45 Posts