Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I'm 1.70 meters tall and i'v got around 60 Kg, should i be able to ride a cbr 500r without problems ?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Greetings

I'm 1.70 meters tall and i'v got around 60 Kg, should i be able to ride a cbr 500r without problems ?
I think you might actually be too tall. For some one of your height I would look at something with a taller seat height like the Triumph Tiger XC.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If my conversion program is correct. That is 5.5 ft and 132 lbs.
So, the answer is Yes.
A little short for 2 feet flat-footing perhaps, but that is leg-length dependent.
Go to a dealer and try it out or find a used one to sit on.

Get one and ride safely.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
My conversion works out to just a hair under 5'-7". There are people on this forum from 5'-2" to 6'-5" who ride this bike comfortably. You will most definitely be able to ride it with no problems... unless your inseam is less than 29 inches or so.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Reactions: Thump

·
Registered
144 Posts
If it is just a bit to tall for you there is always the CBR500R lowering Kit, it will drop the seating position around 1.5 inches some kits possible more.
Go in to a Honda dealership and sit on this bike and see if you can flat foot it,if not talk to a salesman they will be able to help you with some more in this matter about a lowering kit and what they do.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I'm 5'6" with a short inseam (28-29 inches depending upon cut).

I'm riding a CB500X which sits an inch taller than the CBR500R. Admittedly, it is tippy toe backing on flat surfaces only. And if it is tight quarters, I will walk the bike back out of a parking stall. Parking with the front wheel higher is my preference, even if it makes it a tad harder to put the bike on the center stand.

I have been riding since 1960, so mounting the bike using the left foot peg doesn't really bother me (the bike has a tail bag), and I am careful not to stop where my supporting foot is going to go in a hole. All it takes is just a bit of experience; you will pick it up quickly. <--no pun intended :spin

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm a 5,4 feet man with 26 inches inseam (crotch to ankle). On my cb500F I touch both sides with my balls. Otherwise, I can easily flat foot one side (at most of red lights), the other one on the rear break. With both options I feel comfortable.

The bike is light and the seat thin. On flat ground, I can even go reverse while sat on the bike (with both feet pushing one after the other as someone taller would do).

I have a tail bag and with some leg flexibility I get on/off the bike without touching the bag with my foot.

No lowering kit or any mods on the bike ;)

My only advice is to have motorcycle boots with a good outer sole (not for size purpose but for grip).

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had another abrupt stop yesterday (while filtering in the city). The handle bar was not straight, forcing the bike tip over slightly quicker than i can put my foot down.

If i was a tip toe rider (with no foot reach reserve), it would probably have been an unhappy ending in peak hour traffic. It is always good to have some foot reach reserve (i.e. able to flat foot).

Once, i stepped into a hole (while parking) and could not recover; had to let the bike down on its side. With longer legs, that would be recoverable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree eds. Flat feet is better for security. However, short riders as me are likely to never flat foot both sides at the same time on 95% of motorcycles (except customs, lovering kit etc.).
My opinion is not to restrict bike choice to the only ones on which flat footing both sides is possible.
Weight, center of gravity matter.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Sure it's safer to have both feet flat on the ground, but don't think that both feet need to be flat on the ground! I ride my CRF250M with one foot on the ground at at stop and have no difficulties at all. You can always lean the bike a little to one side and reach the ground. When I rode my XR650L which is really high I only had one tippy toe on the ground while leaning the bike! You'll get used to it.
To try out a bike on the showroom floor by sitting on it and trying to place both feet on the ground is nonsense.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
argreed. I'm a short guy, but can't limit myself to bikes I can flat foot. really not necessary to enjoy and operate a motorcycle. I think you're plenty tall for the CBR500R....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts