Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 500F
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Being displeased with the (personally) ugly blue the stock dashboard has, I set out on ways to change it. I came across some video's about "ColorClusterz", and inverting normally white LCD displays into black ones. With the 500's displays being LCD's, it'd be easy enough to simply reverse this and turn a black into white through simply changing the polarity filter.

So, instead of paying £25 (and whatever shipping may have come to) for ColorClusterz Polarising filter and their Colouring kit, i decided i may as well try DIY-ing it. I bought a pack of 2 Self Adhesive Polarising Films (£16), as well as some Acetate Colour Filters (only £4, but not a good idea at all, don't get Acetate sheets) for £20 total. I'm not sure on how different ColorClusterz's polarising filter is to the one I got off of Amazon, but it's probably close enough. It took me a whole day to do (Because i'm stupid), but I'd say if you aren't, you can do this in an hour easily.

So, what does it look like?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

Vs the Original (I forgot to get a before shot, oops! Here's one from the internet)

Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

I feel it makes a massively beneficial change, and just generally looks really good.
Because i was stupid and got acetate sheets that were not self-adhesive, they didn't stick. So i had the bright idea of using epoxy. It is not a good idea. It works, i guess, but it made a mess and they don't stick strongly, not to mention the mess of the epoxy all over the polarising filter. Anyone who wants to try anything similar i'll just say get the ColorClusterz, unless there is a cheaper alternative someone can point to.

Black Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas
Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

You can admire my DIY rev gauge colouring below close up.
I had intended for there to be colouring all over the rev gauge, on the fuel gauge and on the coolant temperature, but not having self adhesive filters really curtailed my creativity. Yellow is meant to be max torque range but...yeah. It was worth a try. Side note, the text looks washed out simply because of the angle, it looks fine when sitting on the bike as shown above.

Font Tints and shades Circle Motor vehicle Space

This would be possible on Pre-2019 bikes with the old display, as they are LCD's too! (Making it black instead, like the NC750's)

·
Registered
2021 500F
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took it for a ride in the day. It does look 'boring' but **** it, it's perfectly readable in every single setting. Definitely need to get more colour on it. Maybe Honda were onto something tinting their older LCD's orange.

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Plant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts