Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all :)

I have a 2015 cbr500r and it's been going strong for 20,000 miles but it's just started with an intermittent fault and I'm not sure how to fix it.

It blinked a little abs code at me(didn't know that was a code at the time, thought it was the abs) then the next time I tried to fire it up the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree and turned itself off. Did that twice, then it eventually fired, ran for 10 seconds, then cut out.

Put it back in the garage and tried to fire it again to read the abs code (after i learned that it was a fault code and not just the abs having a whinge) and the bike fired perfectly with no warning lights, rode it up the street and back to double check and then it coughed and turned itself off. After this it wouldn't even turn the dashboard on when you turned the key.

Phoned the garage and they said to try it again after reading the battery and it's fired perfectly this morning. Battery said fully charged when I plugged it in too.

The bike has a GIpro gear indicator and that has been giving me a random F error the last two times I've ridden it but didn't think it would cause any problems.

Does anyone have any ideas before I call the garage again?

Thank you

·
Registered
410 Posts
You could try disconnecting the gear indicator. If it were me I would try unplugging all the multiplugs, and check the connections for corrosion or loose terminals, give them a spray with contact cleaner and plug them back in.. Electrics can be a nightmare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could try disconnecting the gear indicator. If it were me I would try unplugging all the multiplugs, and check the connections for corrosion or loose terminals, give them a spray with contact cleaner and plug them back in.. Electrics can be a nightmare.
I thought about getting rid of the gear indicator yeah. The garage are going to take a look for me next week so I'll mention that and get them to take it out. Thanks :)

They actually mentioned when I got my speedohealer fitted that the person who installed my gear indicator put the wires in a stupid place where they could get too hot. Do you think that could have finally happened?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some easy things to check.

Is there any corrosion on the battery terminals, are the screws on battery terminals tight?

Using a voltmeter at the battery terminals, what does the battery voltage read, both with the ignition switch off and with the switch turned on?
Leave the ignition switch ON for 3 minutes (headlight is on) and check that voltage is still above 12.2 volts.

Reactions: Natalie500

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some easy things to check.

Is there any corrosion on the battery terminals, are the screws on battery terminals tight?

Using a voltmeter at the battery terminals, what does the battery voltage read, both with the ignition switch off and with the switch turned on?
Leave the ignition switch ON for 3 minutes (headlight is on) and check that voltage is still above 12.2 volts.
Ooooooh thanks I'll go check now before the other half needs the garage :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooooooh thanks I'll go check now before the other half needs the garage :D
So I left the ignition on for a few minutes like you said and I've plugged the battery charger in and its gone straight to recover.

Battery might just be old? :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Only the battery VOLTS will tell us the whole story!
Some indicator light isnt a good thing to go by.

However - if the battery is over 4 years old - replace it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, I would also say get a new battery and possibly this time also a battery tender unit to extend the battery a couple of more years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only the battery VOLTS will tell us the whole story!
Some indicator light isnt a good thing to go by.

However - if the battery is over 4 years old - replace it!
Ah sorry I don't have one of those to hand.

Seems fair though. The battery is 6 years old now. I'll get a new one :)

Do you guys think that all these problems could just be my old battery? I'd be extremely happy if it was!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah sorry I don't have one of those to hand.

Seems fair though. The battery is 6 years old now. I'll get a new one :)

Do you guys think that all these problems could just be my old battery? I'd be extremely happy if it was!
Oh but yes it gave me a number it had gone down to 12 volts after leaving it on

·
Registered
98 Posts
Six years is a good time for a battery, but it's time to replace it anyway. You don't want to get stuck on a road and can't start the bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts