Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my renewal notice for my 2018 CB500F although not due until 18 December.
Last year was £78, fully comprehensive, this year they wanted £103.68
As usual used the online comparison sites and found the same for £75.38

After phoning my current broker and told them that I could get it cheaper they had another look and said they would do it for £71.35 for another year.
Why do insurance company assume that you don't mind getting ripped off.
So I renewed for £71.35 which covers fully comprehensive, Europe travelling and can ride any other bike with owners permission.
Be interesting to see what other peeps pay around the world.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just had my renewal notice for my 2018 CB500F although not due until 18 December.
Last year was £78, fully comprehensive, this year they wanted £103.68
As usual used the online comparison sites and found the same for £75.38

After phoning my current broker and told them that I could get it cheaper they had another look and said they would do it for £71.35 for another year.
Why do insurance company assume that you don't mind getting ripped off.
So I renewed for £71.35 which covers fully comprehensive, Europe travelling and can ride any other bike with owners permission.
Be interesting to see what other peeps pay around the world.

Thats a Very good quote, which company did you go with.

Plasma1

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used Express Insurance Services, part of Carol Nash insurance brokers ( and far cheaper) You can get them via mcn (motorcycle news) online comparison insurance. Then telephone them so they don't pay comission to comparison sites.
sshh tel 0800 049 0218.
:motorcycle :wink:

·
Registered
477 Posts
It never hurts to give the shout & be the squeaky wheel. As in many things you are always your own best advocate. They would rather not leave your money on the table. As the First World becomes more like the Third World you must bargain with the powers that be.

·
Registered
293 Posts
As the First World becomes more like the Third World you must bargain with the powers that be.
Thanks for reaffirming for me that I'm not just going stark raving mad. When I get so upset at today's "Idiot Tweets" and news coverage, I usually end up spitting on the kitchen floor and running after while kicking at the neighbor's dog. The whole *** world seems to have turned into a reality program. :confused3 OK, off my soap box. And before all those bad remarks, I never can keep up with the neighbors dog, he's much too fast for me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
With advancing age (and I have more than my share of that!) generally comes the acquisition of some things of substance, which requires that one of prudence insure very fully. The USA is a very litigious society, with lawyers trolling for business like hungry sharks. Accordingly, I carry lots of personal liability insurance and full coverage on my two bikes, two cars and a pick-up truck. When I got the new (left-over) 2017 CB-500F last spring, my insurer of 60 years, USAA (available only to military veterans and their families) wanted $1100 USD for my coverage, which heretofore had been half that. They advised me that they no longer wished to provide coverage for motorcycles, such as my 2016 Suzuki DR-650 "enduro" and had contracted their motorcycle insurance business elsewhere. Just as well, as this got me checking other insurers of known, high quality reputation. I settled on GEICO, which astonished me by offering exactly the coverage I'd had with USAA for $570 USD FOR BOTH MOTORCYCLES! I dealt with "Ann" of the Austin, TX GEICO office and she was wonderful.

I might add that my only claim submission to USAA in 60+ years was in 1971, when my Honda CB-450 was stolen and then was recovered by the police, with $56 of damage, for which USAA reimbursed me.

The moral of my story is, "Always shop around. It may save you a packet!"

Ralph

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes to GIECO for insurance on motos in the US. My prior insurance agency, AAA, does not insure bikes, at least not in my state. I shopped around & GIECO gave an excellent quote. So good in fact that I also switched & insured my autos with them too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I pay $14 per month for 300/100 full coverage on my 2013 CBR500R. I was quite amazed how cheap insurance was with State Farm.

·
Registered
296 Posts
State Farm here also. $237 a year for 300/100 full coverage in S Florida. Would be even less if we weren’t a “no fault” state.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Full coverage doesn’t exist. Be sure to review your policy for needed coverage.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Jamespz03, I get your point that we can't take for granted our insurance coverage is enough. But that sounds a little gloomy. That's like saying we're all predestined to die, and have no say so in what happens afterwards. IMO, that's probably more likely than not. Non the less, I lean towards hedging my bets by being a trifle more generous and forgiving. Fingers crossed, expect little, and hope for the best. After all, that's basically what I do with my insurance when I submit a claim..:confused3

·
Registered
122 Posts
I changed mine to a year at a time like my other vehicles and it ended up being $302

Not bad for my age I think.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slevin
I also shop around a month before renewal as here in the UK they always try to rip you off when insurance is due.
BTW I am 72 and still kicking (no dogs or animals though).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Slevin
I also shop around a month before renewal as here in the UK they always try to rip you off when insurance is due.
BTW I am 72 and still kicking (no dogs or animals though).
I'll definitely give it a shot. I'm 26 and until a month or two ago I had three vehicles in my name to insure and then the wife's one, plus a house.

It ended up being cheaper to split the motorcycle from the other vehicles and one vehicle now has collector vehicle insurance, which coincidentally ended up the same price as the motorcycle for the year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good job you don't live in British Columbia, Canada. The only insurance you can get is ICBC which is run by the state/government, no negotiation or competitive insurance over there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Good job you don't live in British Columbia, Canada. The only insurance you can get is ICBC which is run by the state/government, no negotiation or competitive insurance over there.
Some, if not all, states require insurance rates to be overseen and "regulated" by a State appointed Board of Commissioners. Since the Banking/Insurance business sectors are huge campaign contributors and Lobbyist here in the "Divided States", allowed rates seldom have the public's true well being at heart. But, some companies are more generous than others within those set rate boundaries. Insurance is only one of many business segments of our "Free Market"... that are not really free market. :nerd:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Similar to the UK then, we have various insurers but most are only using one or actual brokers. We have comparison sites who get a rake off if you insure through them. We have regulators run by the government on various things including insurers and (w) bankers. Also get no claims bonus by insurers if you haven't had an accident or caught speeding by the cops and points on your license. Def a free world - not ! :surprise:

·
Registered
53 Posts
33/M USA here, I just paid my insurance so it's fresh on my mind. I've got State Farm. Liability coverage 250k/500k and property damage 100k. $26/6mo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts