Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As we all know the CBR500 series bike is delivered with a 47hp engine (and its roumored that the US version will contain 54hp)

So, does anyone know if it shall become possible to increase the hp, and probably how?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Its actually rumored in NZ (and hence AU) as well. A guy on the CBR250.net form says his dealer swears the bike for NZ is 54HP. I'll beleive the rumour mill once they release them here and Australian Cycle News tests them as promised in the April edition.

Dave

·
Registered
111 Posts
i doubt they made changes to the engine/exhuast/intake, i reckon the ecu would be slighty de-tuned to meet legal power to wieght requirements in countries with the restrictions. i reckon a simple ecu edit will be all it takes to go from 47 to 54hp :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the warranty will be void if you do a ecu edit, it definetly will with a new exhaust.. How will a tune up affect the resale value?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think there is a cheap mod that we can do to increase flow to the intake for a slight increase of horsepower. For the cbr600rr there was a mod to remove plastic baffles that reduces flow to the filter. I think when we all get the CBR500R we can take a look if this is the case for us too. I'll be putting in either a bmc race filter or a K&N filter.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
I have heard of this mod to where people would gut the airbox to increase flow and it does get louder too from what I've heard. Those baffles are in place to keep the volume of air to stay at a certain consistency and also to control the volume of sound. Its a little too soon, but I guess we can look at it once the bikes are out.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Free flowing intake

Full exhaust

and a Tune

That might get you a bit more power and response.
How can you tune it? The 250R, like many bikes, has the ECU locked down. The only way to tune it is to install a Power Commander or the like, and then tune that.

The 500R race bikes going to be used in the EU Junior Cup have a PC-V (and Quick shift I think) installed, so it would appear the ECU is "locked down" on the 500 also.

It isn't just a matter of just "getting it tuned" :).

Dave

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hopefully it's just a ecu edit, that would be great!!!!!!!!!
Yeah it would, however, the ECU will be locked down IMHO, like so many bike these days.

However, installing a PC-V (as they have on the EU Junior Cup 500 race bikes) should get us the 54Hp back...if this rumor is real of course :D.

Dave

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
On the exhaust or by the air filter. Neither will increase power but the bike will sound louder lol. PC, exhaust and dyno are the way to go. However, I am waiting to see the results of such mods to see increase in hp. Such mods were made to the 250 with negligable increases. I wonder if a rider wishes more hp why not go to a larger cc bike?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
On the exhaust or by the air filter. Neither will increase power but the bike will sound louder lol. PC, exhaust and dyno are the way to go. However, I am waiting to see the results of such mods to see increase in hp. Such mods were made to the 250 with negligable increases. I wonder if a rider wishes more hp why not go to a larger cc bike?
Agreed. Although a couple more ponies would be nice as a minor bump a while after purchasing it...but thats about it. My other alternative is a Ninja 650 - but I wont be able to afford that (and its very upright any way).

Dave

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I agree, the Ninja is way too upright. When I sat on the 500r it felt 'right', the 250's bigger brother. I'm thinking the Akra full exhaust with a power commander is a mod I will be making but will be done over next winter. The combination of 500cc with the P-twin has me hopeful. However, I'm not looking for huge gains. Right now I'd be happy with it sitting in my garage ha ha

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Yeah it would, however, the ECU will be locked down IMHO, like so many bike these days.

However, installing a PC-V (as they have on the EU Junior Cup 500 race bikes) should get us the 54Hp back...if this rumor is real of course :D.

Dave
or you can order a stock cbr500 ECU from USA adn change it if cbr500 really is 54 hp there.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
It looks like a performance exhaust, a good air filter and a power commander with quick shift is way to go for some maybe 15 percent increase on hp and torque and voila, it is ready for the tack as well with some good tires, shock mods and removing some weight.:D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I agree, the Ninja is way too upright. When I sat on the 500r it felt 'right', the 250's bigger brother.
Check out Motorcycle Ergonomics

degrees body lean forwards angle / degrees of knee bend angle (smaller means more bent knees)

For someone my size:

CBR250R
Sat centre of seat: 19/76
Sat rear of seat: 24/79

CBR500R

Sat centre of seat: 16/81
Sat rear of seat: 22/85
-->similar angle for body leaning forwards, with less bent knees. Sounds good to me! I'd prefer a bit more lean forwards when sat at the rear of the seat, but its close enough to the 250R.

Ninja 650R
Sat centre of seat: 13/75
Sat rear of seat: 17/76
--> sat comparatively bolt upright even when sat at the rear of the seat, with even more bent knees than the CBR250R even when sat in the centre of the seat...Does not sound good to me at all. The knees are far more bent when sat at the rear of the seat than either the 250 or 500.

The 500R sounds pretty good ergo-wise to me!

Dave

1 - 20 of 165 Posts