Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know the bike is only a small 2 cyl. and the main thing that alters the sound of an engine is the internal layout. (Amount of valves. Ignition timing. Stroke length compared to the bore ratio...) but I have started getting more and more annoyed with how weak my Cb500F sounds. I know it is a rather weak bike, but i've met plenty of people on 300cc and even 125cc with better, rougher sounding bikes. I have a GPR Furore slipon, wich i regret getting, as the diameter should be bigger to deepen the sound. But lately i have considered getting a full R77 system, but judging by videos, this doesn't seem to make a large difference. Tips to make the bike sound a little louder, and alot more punchy?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Megaphone exhausts and shorties give nice sound

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
LOL. I guess Honda engineers worked quite a lot to make the sound kinda unobtrusive or less mean and dekiver on noise emission requirements. Also the way it operates (valve overlap, port forms, etc) makes it silent besides being very effective. Having a 180degree crank helps in balancing the engine - but an engine with 270 deg crank (such as in the new AT, or Yammi MT07) would have a more characteristic sound.
Some of the engine sound comes from the airbox. A free flowing filter and removal of the snorkel can improve that.
I'm quite sure changing the cams to a Crower high lift cams with more overlap would give it more of a character too.

·
Registered
613 Posts
So I know the bike is only a small 2 cyl. and the main thing that alters the sound of an engine is the internal layout. (Amount of valves. Ignition timing. Stroke length compared to the bore ratio...) but I have started getting more and more annoyed with how weak my Cb500F sounds. I know it is a rather weak bike, but i've met plenty of people on 300cc and even 125cc with better, rougher sounding bikes. I have a GPR Furore slipon, wich i regret getting, as the diameter should be bigger to deepen the sound. But lately i have considered getting a full R77 system, but judging by videos, this doesn't seem to make a large difference. Tips to make the bike sound a little louder, and alot more punchy?
Years ago, I had a Honda SuperHawk (CB77) - a 305cc with twin separate exhaust pipes and mufflers. It had the same crank configuration (180 Deg.) and fired alternately. There was a popular aftermarket megaphone set that was available at the time that made that bike sound AWESOME!! To get that same sound on this bike would need to separate out the exhaust pipes and get some megs.

My SuperHawk at idle and just off idle sounded like a cat (tiger/lion) growling and at high RPMs had a pretty deep pitch sound that was great!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Loud is obnoxious. Loud will not get you seen. For every person that thinks how cool you are when you make noise going past 9 more will think "what a dick" or "what a small dick". Honda's are quiet by nature. We see this as a strength. Don't see it as a weakness. There are a few Honda's that make more noise, and rightfully so, but this is not one of them. Of all of the after market exhausts I've listened to for this bike none of them change it significantly. In my opinion, they make it worse. Want the 500 to make noise? Then twist the goddamn throttle. At 5000 RPM it makes noise. At 7000 RPM it makes noise. If you want your bike to make noise at 3000 RPM then get yourself a big V-twin or start breaking laws and take the exhaust apart. But for every motorcyclist that cheers on the needless noise, 2 more will shake their head. You won't be fooling anybody performance wise. And nor should you need to. You should learn to like what you have. It's cheaper that way. And it'll perform the way Honda's engineers designed it to, instead of losing a notch to make noise for no good reason. With regards to being seen, all you need is bright colors, good lane positioning, paying attention to your surroundings, and riding defensively. This bike would be stupidly loud if you removed the exhaust entirely. I don't think it's worth the fine you'll eventually get though.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
On another note, my finacée works at a daycare, and occasionally she'll ask me to do her a favor and drop something off to her. When that something fits in a rucksack I take my motorcycle. And 9/10 when I show up the children are all sleeping. The staff can't even hear that I'm there, let alone waking up the children. If I showed up with a goddamn noisy bike and woke the children up I guarantee there would not be ONE impressed person. I would have about 10 angry adult women (including a bitching one that will follow me home later) and 40 screaming children. Being loud seems cool when you're too young to know better, but the majority of the population finds it disruptive and annoying, and honestly you'd rather not draw attention to yourself when you're riding. You'll look cool enough to anybody that sees you. Trust me. You don't need to make noise.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm with @bambams. I've done quite a few mods in the last couple of years. The exhaust isn't one of them. The stock canister is good. Plenty loud in the power band. Set a decent video camera on the ground and video yourself pulling away rapidly, then do a flyby in the power band. Watch and see. Plenty of noise. It's your money, though. Spend it how you like.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
I gave up "loud" back just after high school! However, a "good" sound doesn't have to be loud, it can be pitch, etc. I love the sound of a 5.0 Mustang with the twin exhausts, and the right glass-pack mufflers.

However, each has his own preference. Mine, like the others above, is not loud!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bambams is spot on! I love how quiet this bike is. I can sneak up on my wife when I come home & her boyfriend gets caught every time.
VIVA quiet! CZ-mate is correct that the bike does make noise above 5000 rpm, so wind it up.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
To me, one of the greatest selling features of this model is how very quiet and refined it sounds. I cannot tolerate loud bikes... and I think it's a safe bet that the vast majority of the population feels the very same way. So why would anyone deliberately want to disturb others? Just like PiedmontBuckeye, I too outgrew the "need for noise" by the time I graduated from high school. It's perhaps worth noting that when I am returning home after a ride, the Missus, more often than not, doesn't even hear me entering our driveway and pulling right up to the house... so I know that I am definitely not disturbing anyone in the neighbourhood.

If someone has this huge desire for a louder, throatier, meaner-sounding ride, then my suggestion would be to not invest your hard-earned dollars in a Honda CBR500R/500F/500X. And if anyone in my neck of the woods has a loud, obnoxious bike, please don't ride past our house... you will frighten the doggies! (who by the way, are very quiet!)

And besides, it's been proven that the whole "loud pipes save lives" thing is simply not true.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yeah im well aware. Im restricted by my A2 license (Maximum 35KW)... Still another year til i can get a proper bike.
I don't think you'll make many friends on a CBR500R forum by begrudgingly announcing on it that you have to wait another year to get "a proper bike". You see, most CBR500R owners believe they don't come much better than this.
:confused2
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
353 Posts
SV - For some of us, a "proper bike" is one that is lightweight, strong, comfortable, versatile, handles well, looks good, and has no engine. What is your definition of a "proper bike"? Rick

·
Registered
705 Posts
IMHO the 2016+ oem exhaust is pretty darn spot on. I like to hear it (as we discussed I also like the quiet crack-boom-bang on decel) but it is very decent and not to loud at legal speeds. Perfectly fine for my commutes.
Not to say I would not like the Akra on the other bike. If I would not build an all motor engine on that bike, would not bother with the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I love a beautiful exhaust note too. However, beautiful exhaust notes come from big motors or fancy aspiration systems. The CBR500R has neither, and you won't easily equip either neither. But honestly it's not so quiet when you're revving it up. It holds its own. I once got a compliment in traffic that the bike was loud with a stock exhaust and I wasn't going out of my way to make noise (to be fair, the gentleman commented right after we went under a concrete railway overpass). In any case, you'll never make your parallel twin 500 CC motor sound like an inline four 600 CC SS engine. They're entirely different designs, they breathe differently, and they sound differently as a result. That works in reverse too. You won't make that 600 supersport sound like our bikes either (not that you'd want to). But our bikes don't sound bad though. If you think it's quiet go put it in neutral in your driveway and pull it up to 5000 RPM. It's not quiet by any means. It doesn't sound like a supersport, but it has its own sound and it's nothing to mock. Nobody is going to look down on you for the sound of your bike, and if they do maybe their dick is broken.

·
Registered
356 Posts
IMHO the 2016+ oem exhaust is pretty darn spot on. I like to hear it (as we discussed I also like the quiet crack-boom-bang on decel) but it is very decent and not to loud at legal speeds. Perfectly fine for my commutes.
Not to say I would not like the Akra on the other bike. If I would not build an all motor engine on that bike, would not bother with the exhaust.
+1 on this. The note/sound is spot on.
Also, 2016+ updated the air box duct (the short snorkel) and updated Air Filter (less restrictive); producing a nice induction note (louder and audible) to complement the exhaust note.

Those with earlier models (2013-2015), something to consider.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah im well aware. Im restricted by my A2 license (Maximum 35KW)... Still another year til i can get a proper bike.
You can restrict some Harley's to make them legally A2 compliant, at least in the U.K., then just remove the restriction when you get your full licence.

I have a full licence and did not realize the CB500F was "only" an A2 bike when I decided it was exactly what I wanted. But I also did over 20,000 miles on my 125, plenty of dual carriageway riding, lots of days out of over 200 miles.

A "proper bike" is defined by what you do with it, not the licence category, power output, or bragging rights.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts