Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have concluded that my arms are too short for the CB500F. The OTD price was $6108.

I'll look at the 500X, but, I may be restricting myself to smaller displacement bikes as the CB500F sure seemed a lot porkier than my NX250.

Reactions: rider500 and Natrix

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Musselman Honda, 2302 N. Stone Ave., Tucson, AZ

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Well, I have concluded that my arms are too short for the CB500F. The OTD price was $6108.

I'll look at the 500X, but, I may be restricting myself to smaller displacement bikes as the CB500F sure seemed a lot porkier than my NX250.
You seem to like enduro (or how they call them these days, dual sports) and the CBs have definitely a more sporty seating position.
Sounds like a CRF250M would be the bike for you.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A level-headed approach, js.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You seem to like enduro (or how they call them these days, dual sports) and the CBs have definitely a more sporty seating position.
Sounds like a CRF250M would be the bike for you.
I'm definitely an enduro type of person.

I was looking for another 100 or so ccs to make highway cruising a little less buzzy for the rider. The Duke 390 (375 cc thumper) may be more my cup of tea. 6th gear on that bike is really an overdrive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That's too bad the bars are too low for you. What is your height curiously? I know the seating position is a bit lower, so I'm surprised the bars don't match that.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm 5' 6" with a 28" inseam. Fairly long waisted, but, I'm in my 70's and not anxious to do in my wrists because of leaning forward and supporting much of my weight with my hands.

The seat on a dual sport bike lets you slide around and easily modify your body position, which helps relieve stress and strain when touring.

I could look at risers and/or the 500X handlebar (and cables?), but, I'd rather get a bike that fits instead of modifying one to become adequately comfortable.

And, the weight issue is a turnoff. My current bike has a curb weight of 298 pounds as well as the narrow dual sport seat. I've been spoiled. :D

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
^ Agree, the 20 horses of Honda's 250 may be good enough around town and on short trips but 100cc or so wouldn't hurt as long as the bike doesn't get more heavy.
What happened to the XL350R of the 80s with 27 hp and 140 kg weight?

·
Registered
643 Posts
How about the BMW G650GS? Similar power to the CB but from a single. Very low seat and centre of gravity, loads of accessories available, good fuel economy and fairly well priced. Tried one the other week and might go for it if the 'X' isn't my thing.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The NX250 lists 26 hp at the crank, probably 22 or 23 actual at the rear wheel. It cruises OK but the lower revving engine in the 650GS single may be the way for an old dude to go. My biggest fear is being on a trip and losing something like the rectifier of this 24 year-old bike. However, in Asia Honda sold it as the AX-1 for a longer period (only sold in USA 1988-90), so there should be more parts available.

The drawback is the weight again. The current G650GS weighs in just about the same as the CB500F, but with a tad less gas.

Suzuki's DR350 was discontinued in the late 90's I believe. So, you get into a parts game thing again. I'll struggle on with this one because I've had better luck with Honda engines than Suzuki engines.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The NX250 lists 26 hp at the crank, probably 22 or 23 actual at the rear wheel. It cruises OK but the lower revving engine in the 650GS single may be the way for an old dude to go. My biggest fear is being on a trip and losing something like the rectifier of this 24 year-old bike. However, in Asia Honda sold it as the AX-1 for a longer period (only sold in USA 1988-90), so there should be more parts available.

The drawback is the weight again. The current G650GS weighs in just about the same as the CB500F, but with a tad less gas.

Suzuki's DR350 was discontinued in the late 90's I believe. So, you get into a parts game thing again. I'll struggle on with this one because I've had better luck with Honda engines than Suzuki engines.
Yesterday I puttered around the back roads in the area with my Nouvo135, narrow roads through villages with twenty houses, past lakes, over bridges, going mostly 50-60 km/h and opened up to 90 on the straight road along the beach. Told myself that a 250cc would be too much already for this kind of riding! Of course, if I want to go on a trip the "power" of a bigger bike comes in handy.
The BMW is too expensive and too heavy for my taste. I owned several BMWs, K series, and see no reason to buy anything "exotic" you can't get fixed in the next shop.
I had a AX-1 here, it showed 65K km on the clock and I doubt it was the original one. The shocks and bearings were gone, the frame was rusted through, the tires were bald and the electrics acted up, but the engine didn't burn a drop of oil. I got it real cheap and fixed it up as good as I could and enjoyed it. I'd say the best replacement would be the CRF250M if you stay more on the street.
I even found an old picture:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I tested a husky 650 Strada it was awesome super comfy too. The Suzuki drz400 sm would have been my other choice but when I sat on my 500r I had to have it.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a AX-1 here, it showed 65K km on the clock and I doubt it was the original one. The shocks and bearings were gone, the frame was rusted through, the tires were bald and the electrics acted up, but the engine didn't burn a drop of oil. I got it real cheap and fixed it up as good as I could and enjoyed it. I'd say the best replacement would be the CRF250M if you stay more on the street.
I even found an old picture:
I think that I'd probably just put street treads on the CRF250L once the tires on it were gone. Here's my "let's keep it running" bike.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn164/jsonder/P1010643_zpsc97ed9af.jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts