Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today putzing down the road, I got passed by a guy on my bikes twin. He even had the same Honda tank bag I did. At first I smiled, and then I noticed the exhaust sound. PATHETIC!!!!!! I stand by my statement that it sounds like the Jetsons space ship George used to go to work it. The little 90cc motorbikes sounded meaner than "our" 500s...

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yeah it's a bummer. I'm keen to see what the aftermarket community can do with it

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
The quietness of the stock muffler is a big attraction for me. Different strokes ....

·
Registered
505 Posts
The quietness of the stock muffler is a big attraction for me. Different strokes ....
Have to agree us older folk need to stick together! :D

Reactions: vroom_vroom

·
Registered
111 Posts
Today putzing down the road, I got passed by a guy on my bikes twin. He even had the same Honda tank bag I did. At first I smiled, and then I noticed the exhaust sound. PATHETIC!!!!!! I stand by my statement that it sounds like the Jetsons space ship George used to go to work it. The little 90cc motorbikes sounded meaner than "our" 500s...
the exhuast is so quiet that the Jetson's space ship noise at low rpm's is the actual intake/induction noise i think, lol.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If its quiet you can hear cars , trucks , vans .. these are the enemy , they are all out to kill you .. if you live as long as I have a quiet bike is a blessing

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I enjoy the quietness, it's just the actual sound! If I could get a little growl, but keep it quiet, that would be perfect!

I'm 39 so no spring chick. I don't want to be forced to hear other loud exhausts and sure don't want others to endure mine... But a little audible meanness would be great.

Look (or listen) to the newer muscle cars, they sound mean but not loud. I had a 68 Camaro that sounded mean but was louder then **** (thanks to an uncle with a muffler shop and a wicked sense of humor). We have the technology to make it sound good at tolerable decibel levels. I know the 500s are not race bikes, but when a little Toyota has more of a throaty growl... Sad

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I like the quiet exhaust. Louder isn't always better. Post your theory's re: quiet vs loud exhaust on my exhaust thread. Lets see what the majority feel. :)

Reactions: ROBERT

·
Registered
505 Posts
When I was breaking in my Ninja 250 (not motoman's method), I was riding up the feeder on a freeway that ended before the next traffic light. The freeway had 2 exit lanes and the feeder had 2 lanes which merged into 3 lanes. I was in the right hand lane(US). I saw that there was a open lane at the traffic light on the left. I checked to see if the left feeder lane was free and the right hand lane off the freeway was free. I moved over 1 lane to the left. When I got to the merger point with the freeway I checked the freeway traffic and moved on. The left lane at the traffic light was still open so I moved over to the left side of my lane in preparation to move over to the far left lane (US). I hadn't quite gotten used to the limited vision of the motorcycle mirrors and hadn't yet gotten them adjusted just right. I was thinking about getting over when I heard the tires of an 18 wheeler. I froze in my lane. I was traveling about 35 mph (56 kph) when the 18 wheeler passed me doing at least 70 mph (112 kph). If I hadn't heard the truck, I'd become a blue and red spot on the road in the next lane. I've since learned to double check and sometimes triple check before I make a lane change.

I got my bike in August 2002. It has over 41,000 miles (65,600 KM). I still have the stock exhaust system. The little Ninja sounded terrible with the twin open exhaust pipes and was louder than most fours with four in to one open exhausts.

I also refuse to wear ear plugs. They make some that can pass certain frequency ranges but I don't trust them. My current HJC FS-15 Trophy (Ben Spies U.S Superbike) Helmet is the lightest most comfortable helmet but the noisiest helmet I've had. You pay a price for better ventilation.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Personal preference. It is better that they keep it quiet stock - people who want noise will upgrade anyways. One of the joys of owning a motorcycle - you get to change it to your liking!

Personally I am going to get a slip on exhaust , paint the rims, projector HID retrofit, led blinkers, possibly change some parts to carbon.

·
Registered
565 Posts
My opinion is that it's too early to tell if the exhaust is loud enough. This may sound a little daft but until the engine has been bedded in fully the engine notes can change. I've experience this slight change in tone from all my previous bikes. Don't miss understand me the stock is not going to get as loud as a replacement but it will improve.

Reactions: Natrix

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm stuck on this topic actually. Not sure if I will end up getting an aftermarket exhaust or not. I like how quiet it is at the moment not too loud but not dead quiet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've gotta say, after picking up my new 500R and riding around for the first time for a little while today .. the exhaust is just too quiet for me. I can hardly tell if it's still running below 4k rpm! Definitely interested in some aftermarket lovin'.. especially after having a Two Bros slip-on on my 250R.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
^i know what you mean. My Yosh was loud therefore I always heard the thing. With the 500, I'm in stealth mode. In fact I'm so stealthy I'm not aware of myself lol

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Whoops...added to the correct thread...

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
All of us has different needs and tastes so i cannot judge but respect anyone does not want an aftermarket pipe.
I like to mod my bikes and like a bit more performance and sound so i will get one soon and hope people respect me on this as i respect others.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts