Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm a noob here. I know I am supposed to read all the info there are on the forum and other channels, and believe me I did, just that I couldn't find topic which addressed the problem with my specific bike (Honda CB500F 2019), so I decided I would ask the question.

As mentioned in the title, I dropped her in my own garrage due to my stupidity. I dropped her to the left, a few minor scratches, nothing major. I started the engine again yesterday (one day after the drop) and found out that the oil pressure light stayed lit while the engine is running. I checked the sight glass and the oil level seemed fine, no sign of oil leak. But while the engine is running, the oil level didn't go down, meaning the oil wasn't being pumped.

I checked and there are people on the internest saying that these steps should be taken:
1. Start the engine
2. Losening the oil filter just a tiny bit, enough to just let a little bit of oil comes out and it will release the trapped air inside the oil filter (the air being trapped while the bike is leaning to the left?)
3. The oil pressure light will turn off, meaning the oil is circulating again, tighten the oil filter.

I am quite worried and scared as I dont have a lot of experiences. Has anyone encountered this problem with your CB500F?
Thank heaps and please pardon me with my not so good English (not a native speaker)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes follow the steps.
Make sure the filter is loose enough so that when the engine is running it is easy for you to loosen it up and you will get oil out the filter.

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,226 Posts
It's likely that when the bike was on its side the oil moved away from the oil pick-up in the sump enough to expose it and the pump lost prime. This isn't uncommon as it can happen when you change the oil too.

I don't think you need to loosen the oil filter to "bleed" the system as it will happen automatically; many folks put on a new oil filter dry and the oil pump fills it in seconds.

When you started it and noted the oil light on, was this just with the engine idling? If so, you might try revving the engine to ~3000rpm for a few seconds. This speeds up the oil pump and increases its suction. See if the oil light goes out. If it does, problem solved. If not, write back and maybe we can think of something else to test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts