Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Taking the nears side fairing off and have located all bolts, velcro and tabs along the top of the tank. Im stumped as to how to release the front section where it joins near to the head lights and i'm scared to force it incase i break anything anyone got any advice.
The fairing seems to be really tight around the indicator but apart from that section everything else is loose.:pissedoff
After watching Iblees video on how to remove the fairings

HOW TO: Remove fairings from a CBR500R and install R&G Sliders - YouTube

I have manged to easily remove without any damage :laughing

·
Registered
427 Posts
So I'm trying to remove the left fairing and I'm stuck. There's some sort of retainer clip that holds the middle cowl together to the lower cowl. It's in there pretty good. If I apply too much force, it feels like I'm going to snap something.

Approximate position from the outside

View of the inside of the right fairing and clip

·
Registered
305 Posts
So I'm trying to remove the left fairing and I'm stuck. There's some sort of retainer clip that holds the middle cowl together to the lower cowl. It's in there pretty good. If I apply too much force, it feels like I'm going to snap something.

Approximate position from the outside

View of the inside of the right fairing and clip

You have to push down on the yellow tab to make it release. I used a screw driver and just pressed down on it. A bit tricky but just try it theres no need to pull hard.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I tried that earlier and it wouldn't budge. It's pushing down the whole plastic layer with it. Do I have to release it by itself first or am I pushing down on it as I'm pulling out the lower part of the cowl?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just put my hand inside the fairing and pushed the tab out from inside. Mine pops out fairly easy.

Don't pull from out side, push it out. I didn't push down on it like victorberr said, I just put pressure from inside and out it popped

·
Registered
427 Posts
So push out on the yellow tab? Does it come out with the fairing or is it a separate piece that snaps on and off?

Whoever designed these fittings at Honda must've been having a bad day.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have my fairing off atm as i'm trying to respray my bike.

This is the yellow tab when removed

don't push down etc, just push from inside in the direction of the hole. It will pop out . Have you made sure you have removed all the other fastenings?

and here is the place the whole tab comes out of

Nothing special about it in my opinion. Don't pull it, push from inside

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for that pic. Yeah all the bolts and pins are out. I'll try again tomorrow, frustrated enough for today. Time for a beer.

Reactions: cubanski

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'll try to push it out from the inside but there's some tight maneuvering on the left side fairing. I need someone with tiny hands!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just put my hand inside the fairing and pushed the tab out from inside. Mine pops out fairly easy.

Don't pull from out side, push it out. I didn't push down on it like victorberr said, I just put pressure from inside and out it popped
Maybe that explains why i had such a difficult time.... :p I was doing it wrong! Sorry for the bad advice :shy

·
Registered
427 Posts
Finally! Got the darn cowl off. Did it by using my thumb on the lower cowl piece to push it in and off the the retaining tab while pulling out the middle piece at the same time. Mine wasn't easy and took a bit of force.

Unfortunately in the process of taking off the fairing, I scratched the upper cowl in the top right corner over the head light. I don't think touch up paint for the tricolour is available yet in Canada? I ended up getting a scratch repair pen for a Hyundai white that is a close enough match.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have printed and framed this great diagram and used it several times now.. thanks!

Just a note to anyone having trouble getting those two top tabs undone... to remove they slide up and towards the back of the bike.... or you can just pull and lose one like i did :spin

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very helpful diagram and information. Quick one, I am planning to remove left fairing. This velcro mentioned everywhere, is it part of it or no?

Any tips or advice for the left side? I am in no rush and going to take my time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The photo helps a lot when I have to take the side fairing and loose the top attachement to the gas tank to install a gear indicator wiring. Thanks a lot!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts