Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a little visual on how to do this slightly annoying procedure for anyone that's wondering. After you figure out what needs to be done first, it's not too bad, I promise.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
have you taken off the front cowl?
I cant seem to take that off. is there a hidden bolt holding it there to the head light or something?

·
Registered
446 Posts
t0ad where did you come across this wonderful color coded diagram for fairing removal ? .There is nothing like this in the released Honda manual

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have you taken off the front cowl?
I cant seem to take that off. is there a hidden bolt holding it there to the head light or something?
Yeah, I've had the whole front end of the thing apart a few times now. There are 2 small silver bolts buried behind the headlight assembly (in addition to the one bolt on the bottom of the headlight and 2 screws on the sides where the fairings attach), so it's pretty much impossible to get the front cowl/windscreen off without taking the entire unit off the bike.

Thankfully that's not TOO horrible to do, just get both fairing side pieces off and go at the 2 silver bolts & nuts (you'll know they're the right ones if the nuts have a round cap facing outward instead of just being a regular nut) that are holding the metal bracket that attach the headlight assembly to the frame. You'll need a long-ish extension for your socket wrench to get at them, just turn the handlebars from side to side to expose them.

Be sure to disconnect the 2 wiring connectors on the kickstand-side of the bike up near the gastank, those are for lights and gauges. Lastly, when you loosen up and remove the topmost bolt and nut, the whole assembly will come down and the bottom of the headlight will rest on your front fender, so be wary of that!

t0ad where did you come across this wonderful color coded diagram for fairing removal ? .There is nothing like this in the released Honda manual
I just whipped it up in Photoshop real quick :)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Superb work toad looks very good, i tried one evening to take one side off but gave up for fear of snapping something!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
tOad you are TOP MAN , that is a fantastic diagram , pity the jerks who worked on the official Honda workshop manual didn't have somebody of your ability to direct them how to do things properly

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, their engineers are all about just the basics and their bean-counters keep them from releasing high-quality color photos in the manuals I imagine. It's up to us backyard mechanics to fill in the gaps!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
That is awesome! But what a PITA!!! On the CBR250R it was like 3 bolts easily reached, and a couple of tabs: 3-5 minutes both sides tops.

Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
thanks buddy...thats a great picture! Printing off now in full color, I will have my fairing replaced in no time...thanks bro!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome picture! I've been waiting for something like this, does anyone have a picture of what the CBR500R looks like without the fairings? How similar does it look the the CB500F?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome picture! I've been waiting for something like this, does anyone have a picture of what the CBR500R looks like without the fairings? How similar does it look the the CB500F?
Looks reasonably close, though some wiring and such is exposed on the kickstand-side and that might not be good. I forgot to take a pic with just the fairings removed. But, somewhat related, here's a shot with the whole front end off .. I think it looks kinda badass, haha

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, I've had the whole front end of the thing apart a few times now. There are 2 small silver bolts buried behind the headlight assembly (in addition to the one bolt on the bottom of the headlight and 2 screws on the sides where the fairings attach), so it's pretty much impossible to get the front cowl/windscreen off without taking the entire unit off the bike.

Thankfully that's not TOO horrible to do, just get both fairing side pieces off and go at the 2 silver bolts & nuts (you'll know they're the right ones if the nuts have a round cap facing outward instead of just being a regular nut) that are holding the metal bracket that attach the headlight assembly to the frame. You'll need a long-ish extension for your socket wrench to get at them, just turn the handlebars from side to side to expose them.

Be sure to disconnect the 2 wiring connectors on the kickstand-side of the bike up near the gastank, those are for lights and gauges. Lastly, when you loosen up and remove the topmost bolt and nut, the whole assembly will come down and the bottom of the headlight will rest on your front fender, so be wary of that!

I just whipped it up in Photoshop real quick :)
didn't see the hex bolts behind the bracket. cheers Toad

·
Registered
436 Posts
Here's a little visual on how to do this slightly annoying procedure for anyone that's wondering. After you figure out what needs to be done first, it's not too bad, I promise.

In a nutshell, thank you thank you thank you. I'm putting on a new middle and outer fairing this weekend and this will be super handy. Long story short, foot on leaves and out from underneath me it went. Doh! Yes, lesson learned and frame sliders purchased.

Reactions: Nemesis3

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice post. Wish I had seen that pic before I stripped everything off. You have to watch those tabs when removing the fairings! I have a few less now :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Taking the nears side fairing off and have located all bolts, velcro and tabs along the top of the tank. Im stumped as to how to release the front section where it joins near to the head lights and i'm scared to force it incase i break anything anyone got any advice.
The fairing seems to be really tight around the indicator but apart from that section everything else is loose.:pissedoff

1 - 20 of 37 Posts