Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

i recently crashed my 2013 cbr 500. And scratch the right engine cover as per the attached photo. I am planning to change the cover myself.
Can someone guide me through the steps if possible? Thank you very much.
Ramy

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I haven’t replaced that cover so cant give detailed instructions, you will need a new cover, the gasket between the cover and crank cases, probably some oil. I would suggest putting a blanket on the floor and then lying the bike down on the blanket with the right hand side facing upwards. That way you don’t need to drain the oil. You will need to remove the body panels that prevent you getting to the bolts that hold the casing on, and you will need to disconnect the clutch cable from the clutch lever on the casing and remove the cable from the casing. Then undo all the mounting bolts and you should be able to remove the cover. Remove the old gasket, fit the new gasket, transfer the clutch operating mechanism from the old casing to the new one, and fit the new casing. Refit all the bolts, attach the clutch cable to the new casing and then connect the cable to the clutch lever on the casing, refit all the bodywork, check the clutch lever on the handlebar feels and operates like before, if it does pick the bike up and you are done. If the clutch feels odd, try to see what you have done wrong and fix it. Allow a couple of hours to do this if you are not very confident..

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
FWIW, that scratch if minor - repairable instead of cost of new parts.
As I've done in the past, sand it down smooth and spray on a few coats of matte black engine enamel. Depending on your prep and masking/shielding skill, can even be done on the bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts