Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

I weigh 110 kilos and i plan to tour with a passenger that weighs about 85 kilos and with about 15 kilos of luggage , now , in the owners manual it says maximum weight capacity is 185 kilos (or 160 kilos for KO type , i don't know what that means , someone care to explain? ) .

Now both of us weigh 195 kilograms , what is the problem with exceeding maximum weight ?
I don't want to hurt the bike :(

And if it's really that bad i'm ready to lose some weight

·
Registered
850 Posts
Sounds like, at 210 kg you will exceed the rated capacity by 25 kg (14%) or 50 kg (31%) (depending on type). I'd say this calls for 2 of these bikes or a bike like the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure, which has a payload of 485 lbs (220 kg).

Payload specifications is not based on just static weight but also considers the work that the engine will have to do against increased wind resistance, going up various grades etc. as well as, and perhaps more importantly, the ability of the brakes to do its job with the increased weight.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
KO stands for Korean distribution/VIN.

{no, I do not understand why the lower load rating, either}

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also , is the maximum luggage weight really only 11 kilos ?
Does this include both rear bags and the luggage on the top rack ?

If i drove alone i would still have space for about 75 kilos , but i still can't carry more than 11 kilos ?
how is that supposed to work when i look at those honda cb500x bikes with a big aluminium box on both sides of the bike(each box weighs about 4 kilos) and another big box on the top rack which is another 4 kilos , just the god **** boxes only .
is this serious , only 11 kg ?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The luggage racks are specified at a ridiculously low carrying weight, probably to prevent lawsuits.
But you should not expect the bike to carry more rider weight that the bike weights itself.
When the bike is overloaded:
braking capability is reduced to a point of safety concern.
The frame is stressed and may fail
The shock absorber and front forks cannot function properly and they or their mountings may fail.

The only solutions are:
ride alone (Get SO a bike for her/him)
weight loss
replace bike

·
Registered
850 Posts
oh so it's ok if i carry 20 kg of luggage , alone on the bike
I guess it depends on how the luggage is carried. For instance, piled onto the passenger seat you can carry a lot more than that. I don't believe you said what luggage you have. I would suspect that Honda's numbers are based on luggage in Honda panniers bearing the load on their frames ....? No one knows.

I do have SW Motech Bags Connection panniers on my bike and each side is capable of 14-21 litres but there is (smartly) no weight rating, but I would not want to put anything too heavy in them especially on the exhaust side. That said I don't think that 11 kg per side would be a problem, but I'd probably not go that high. The main load component is on the passenger seat while the rods keep the bags from sagging inwards. The user submitted photos on the Twisted Throttle web page are mine.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Top boxes are not the way to go if you have heavy weight to carry. They raise the bike's center of gravity and take weight away from the front wheel.
Saddlebags are good if they are hard-shell or have quality brackets.
The weight is kept down low and centered (If you divide the weight between both side bags).
Using the passenger pillion works ok but you must secure the bag well. This site allows for the most weight to be carried, but again the bike's center of gravity is raised, but the weight distribution to the wheels is less affected than with the rear luggage rack.

Good luck with your riding.

PS. My wife has her own scooter, which has large carry capacity under the seat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello !

I weigh 110 kilos and i plan to tour with a passenger that weighs about 85 kilos and with about 15 kilos of luggage , now , in the owners manual it says maximum weight capacity is 185 kilos (or 160 kilos for KO type , i don't know what that means , someone care to explain? ) .

Now both of us weigh 195 kilograms , what is the problem with exceeding maximum weight ?

If you lose the cargo you should be okay. 20 pounds over is not that bad. If you must do it then you definitely will want to adjust the preload on your shock to the highest setting and just take it easy. like slow in turns and over bumps, and allow more time/room for braking than if you were riding solo.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'd take the seat off the bike, take a look at the rear subframe and consider what you are asking of it! Admitedly the major weight (yourself) is on the main part of the seat but you are talking of adding over 100kgs to the very back of the bike.

Another thing to consider is are you including all your riding gear? Are you 110kg with full gear on?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
110kg? Lose some weight! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello !

How much weight did you end up putting on the bike? My wife and I have the same weights as yours 😀

·
Registered
441 Posts
In the U.K. it is an offence to ride over the specified weight limit. Although you would have to make the excess weight seem very obvious to be stopped and taken to a weigh bridge. Unless you pose an obvious danger to other road users it is only a fine, although you would not allowed to ride away until you remove some of that weight. But the bigger risk is it can also be held against you in an insurance claim.

For my 2016 500F that means a gross vehicle weight of 820 lbs, with 28 stones and 9 pounds being for the rider, passenger, and luggage.

110 + 85 + 15 kg is 33 st. Putting aside the admittedly slim legal risk, the effect on the handling of the bike is not something I would want to risk with my life and a partner. It is a small and light bike made to a budget that I would not want to push too far beyond its tolerances.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts