Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my CBR500RA for mainly commuting for 38000kms now and still have the standard exhaust. I have nearly bought an after market slip-on a number of times but always end up not getting one. I actually like a quiet bike. The only reason for me to get one is the safety factor of being heard by motorists. I have a riding jacket and helmet that make me look like a cop (yellow triumph jacket and white shark vision helmet). This works extremely well I find as long as I am seen. I ride in the wing mirrors of the traffic and always am moving through it. However as a car driver too I have had instances where I have been totally surprised to find a bike along side that I didn't know was there because I couldn't hear it and have other times when I have heard bikes and looked for them. So if it were to make my riding experience a safer one I would be willing to put up with the extra noise. However not if I were to loose performance and have issues with popping and backfiring on deceleration.
So I am asking for how many people have had issues with aftermarket exhausts and gone back to standard?
I have noticed that the majority of 2nd hand bikes for sale have aftermarket exhausts so maybe its not a big issue?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Popping on deceleration occurs normally; nothing wrong with it, nor is it an issue or problem.
Earlier model OEM exhaust is 3 chamber, so the popping (that do occur) can't be heard.
Current model OEM exhaust is 2 chamber, producing a (rather nice) deceleration "burble" and the occasional "boof" (a muted pop).
If the popping sound is not the preference, then changing to the current model OEM exhaust may be the middle ground (and cheaper, for a used one). It is not a direct change over; some minor filing, spacer, long bolt, will be required.
Alternatively, a "quieter" aftermarket exhaust (e.g. Yoshimura R77) but they are too expensive new (IMO) relative to what the bike now worth.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Eds, didn't think of a used current model. Doesn't sound like too much messing around to make it work from what you have described. Absolutely agree about the price of the R77. So an aftermarket one designed for a later model would be able to be made to fit just as easily I imagine. There is a musarri exhaust for the current model that I quite like the look of for $219. I am not keen on the look of the one from them for my 2014 model, as it's almost as bulky as what is on it at the moment.

·
Registered
356 Posts
So an aftermarket one designed for a later model would be able to be made to fit just as easily I imagine.
On earlier models, the footpeg will be lower (12mm+) and out (35+mm), getting in the way. You may be need to change the footpeg as well and that may create other challenges.

It requires filing the footpeg (top and bottom) to lift it as high as possible (12mm higher).
Having done it before, i cannot not recommend it for aftermarket exhaust since each can be slightly different.

That said, if you are a DIYer and determined, ultimately it can be done.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have a GPR Furore on my 2015 R. I like it. Had it on for about 28,000 km.

I have the baffle in as it is plenty loud enough.

I’m not an advocate of “loud pipes save lives” as that is too simplistic. But, hearing is one of the key senses when it comes to motoring around and definitely if someone can hear you then that’s a positive.

In Asia I’ve often nearly been run over by electric scooters. You just can’t hear them. The other day in Adelaide I nearly stepped out in front of an electric car. Sound is important.

Before I got my slip on, several times pedestrians nearly stepped out in front of me. I’ve not had that with the slip on. It’s loud enough to make ppl aware you’re there, but it’s not ugly loud. And, the GPR is half the price of a Yoshi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input guys. The furore you have on your bike looks great hillscbr. Haven't seen them before.
I have ordered the Musarri Street Series GP Slip-on Exhaust. They have now put out a model for the 13-15 cbr500r and to me it is nice and discreet, small, black and seems to have good note. It's also cheap at $219 delivered.
My bike is a tricolour. I was going to get red but decided on the most visibility with the tri. Not sure how it will look with a black muffler but I think it will look ok.
I will update with a photo when I have fitted it.
Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I really like the look of your bike hillscbr! The loss of the stickers gives it a really minimalist look, very clean and simple. The rim stripes are a subtle nice addition. I have taken the sticker off mine that was under the screen because it was horribly faded and look like crap. it immediately looked better without it. I am tempted to take the rest off and probably will once they too fade. I didn't find it that easy to get off though and it was only a small one.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Burr - Unless the sticker/decal is clear-coated, a heat gun is your friend. Just hot-to-the-touch, and the sticker/decal can often be simply peeled off. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new muffler. Rick

·
Registered
885 Posts
Burr - Unless the sticker/decal is clear-coated, a heat gun is your friend. Just hot-to-the-touch, and the sticker/decal can often be simply peeled off. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new muffler. Rick

My bike is kept in the garage next to my home gym. Between sets, I just picked at the stickers and by the end of my work out had them off.

I use a hair dryer to remove rim tape. Lower heat than a heat gun and easy. Might work well on the stickers if picking at then does not work.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Actually I really like the look of your bike hillscbr! The loss of the stickers gives it a really minimalist look, very clean and simple. The rim stripes are a subtle nice addition. I have taken the sticker off mine that was under the screen because it was horribly faded and look like crap. it immediately looked better without it. I am tempted to take the rest off and probably will once they too fade. I didn't find it that easy to get off though and it was only a small one.

Thanks. That was probably the last time I washed it...over a year ago. I really need to clean it.

I wanted my bike to be black, and the stickers did nothing for me. I even have a custom rego plate that’s black. I went with the white rim tape bcs my leather jacket is black with white trim. The tape is reflective and has been on for over 2 years. I used soapy water method to put the tape on. Much easier than doing it dry and you can slide the tape into position.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
To me that 300R in the OP looks like an F. It looks more naked than faired. And the headlight makes it look like a Grom. I rather liked the transformer look. I felt the 2016+ 500s looked much nicer than the 2013-15 bikes. When I saw a 500F in the wild it was difficult for my untrained eyes to not see something more exotic. I am 32 and have only been riding since I was 26 (born in '86). In any case, I'm sure Honda knows what it is doing. I already have my tame Honda sporty bike so this isn't for me either way. I don't like it, but there's a lot more opinions than just mine. I have no doubt that Honda will continue to build bikes that I do want though.

·
Registered
885 Posts
To me that 300R in the OP looks like an F. It looks more naked than faired. And the headlight makes it look like a Grom. I rather liked the transformer look. I felt the 2016+ 500s looked much nicer than the 2013-15 bikes. When I saw a 500F in the wild it was difficult for my untrained eyes to not see something more exotic. I am 32 and have only been riding since I was 26 (born in '86). In any case, I'm sure Honda knows what it is doing. I already have my tame Honda sporty bike so this isn't for me either way. I don't like it, but there's a lot more opinions than just mine. I have no doubt that Honda will continue to build bikes that I do want though.

Huh?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sorry, somehow that ended up on the wrong thread...

·
Registered
885 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the tips re the sticker removal and rim tape Hills I may put some rim tape on mine, every little bit of vis helps I guess.

Well came home to a box with new exhaust in it and had it on in about 5 minutes flat after waiting for old muffler to cool down. Louder than I expected with the baffle in so definitely won't be taking it out any time soon. It's ok though, my 12 yr old son thinks it's great so that's a win. I will get used to it I'm sure and actually when up doing 90-100kmh the wind noise drowns it out pretty much. Certainly burbles and growls going slower but then that's what I wanted for the congested traffic when commuting so it should be good. It's about half the size and weight of the stock. Doesn't seem to have lost any performance but I have by no means rigorously tested it yet, just a 5 minute ride with my son. Should be able to tell on my commute tomorrow. Looks a little bare without the huge stainless lump hanging on the side. Was too busy putting it on and test riding to take a photo and now it's dark so will take some tomorrow and post.
Cheers all.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The approval of your son is the definitive test, because after all, we’re all 12 year old boys at heart!

Happy you’re happy with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok couple of photos not that it’s particularly spectacular.Just your basic 2014 tricolour. Lives out in the weather permanently. I only cover the seats with an old paddy Palin raincoat so I don’t have to dry it before I get on in winter and the vinyl doesn’t perish in summer. It’s a commuting workhorse rain hail or shine. I love it. Sticker under the screen faded and looked like crap so I took it off. I think it looks better without it. Only mods are the levers, tank grip, muffler and givi rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m surprised by how much more information is available just by hearing the exhaust. Much easier to rev match changing down and I am finding I know what gear I am in now without having to look at the tachometer all the time. I am riding at higher revs and enjoying it more. It was almost like riding deaf before. I am still not big on lots of noise but I can really see now that it has benefits not just in being heard by the surrounding vehicles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts